Indeed a Great Barrier

Stillwater

When you go for sightseeing, you expect a higher number of good views. We went for that, and as a result you will have to expect a longer post. So get yourself a drink and some snacks, maybe even some music, and join us for the next tour - after the one we did the day before:

The white building on the left is now used by GSL Aviation Cairns https://gslaviation.com.au/cairns/ . Unfortunately I did not find their livery for my Caravan.

Q6BwpgJ.jpg

Taxiing northwards to the 15...

CBdnXkS.jpg

GxiEr4k.jpg

... passing the freighters.

Bq6A94t.jpg

WcIHNi8.jpg

Just after takeoff we passed the Hockey Centre (unfortunately no one playing there), ...

QkFHgFE.jpg

ln5vejP.jpg

... followed by a little city view.

FWHfbnc.jpg

t3TRLhd.jpg

Check today´s route.

AO0FlYc.jpg

The real Caravan was equipped with a G1000, I try to survive with the older clocks.

nv9Iep1.jpg

We were passing the Grey Peaks as we headed out to the Pacific.

AznGP5q.jpg

xVIJ31p.jpg

Jarrad´s replication shows Green Island absolutely magnificent!

jcOq1cl.jpg

hX5vndb.jpg

And the entire reef looks fascinating in AUv2.

mrNDpbH.jpg

Vlasoff Cay. OK, if you look in this detail some photoreal would still add a bit.

Mqis0Rn.jpg

GfnF0wE.jpg

Michaelmas Cay. Do you see the pontons and shuttles next to the sand island? Wait a moment, we´ll get closer...

pBPLdsA.jpg

Bxr9Fkh.jpg

While we turned over Hastings Reef...

7jL2esx.jpg

... a catamaran came into view. 

5IPs8fD.jpg

It is the reason why the GPS waypoint is named "SPIRIT": The cat is the Ocean Spirit. Unbelievable how preicse Henrik´s AI ship traffic works!

XOzBlMi.jpg

The cat brings snorkelers out to Michaelmas Cay...

ZMO49GB.jpg

... where we shared the island with thousands of seabirds.

kCH8Dmn.jpg

JTExmEU.jpg

We returned (too) quickly to the mainland, ...

efWwIFM.jpg

... and approached over Yorkeys Knob...

ucS08II.jpg

5aqstyt.jpg

... into a sporty final.

oT84v9z.jpg

C7HYDs7.jpg

KUjOcII.jpg

I did it safely (surely the professional pilot did as well).

HHhZfOA.jpg

YBCS domestic terminal.

kJLTZQP.jpg

RAYrgaY.jpg

And here we found ourselved parked after shutdown. Both Jarrad´s scenery and the real flight are well worth the money!
j18tuXI.jpg

vEgjBZL.jpg

6 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Another grand post Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

5 hours ago, BradB said:

Between your trip and Martyn's , we are spoiled by some amazing RL shot's Gerold ; I can only imagine the level of excitement , seeing the Barrier Reef for the first time . :):)

Indeed John, I like to see Martyns travel reports as much as I like posting my own ones. And you can be sure the flight over the reef was (another) dream coming true. Despite snorkeling on the following day...

5 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

Amazing comparison shots Gerold.

The Caravan is a great plane. I have the newer Carenado version which does have G1000.

Thanks Ben! Learning the G1000 would be an interesting challenge. Maybe some day...

3 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

An outstanding set from your tour Gerold.

You have captured the area really well and the comparisons show how good the scenery is.

Good to see the Belfast there too.:)

Thank you Martyn. It is amazing how good Orbx has captured the area. Unfortunately my next (business) trip will be India, and with OLC Asia being cancelled recently I can not come with similar posts..

3 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Amazing post Gerold..  I had a hard time telling the screenshots from the real photos. 

To be honest John: I had the same trouble. Especially #16 (fascinating reef) could be real or sim.

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Fantastic job Gerold!  How often are you traveling like this?  It seems quite a lot.

Thanks Jack. Well, this was a once-in-a-lifetime trip. With wife and all kids, and filled with so many little or big sights. Did I ever write between the lines that I love that country?

2 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Magnificent juxtaposition work mate! What a great tour and commentary! I must admit that I prefer the steam gauges as well.

Thank you TT! Trusty old tech, and, well, that route you could fly VFR without any flight planning system... 8)

1 hour ago, BradB said:

Being from OZ , have you been there recently ? .

Not recently enough, John. It is time to start planning for the next tour :D!

41 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Thank you Martyn. It is amazing how good Orbx has captured the area. Unfortunately my next (business) trip will be India, and with OLC Asia being cancelled recently I can not come with similar posts..

It is a shame as I know we have been hanging out for OLC Asia but business is business so I can understand...………….sort of!:lol::lol::lol:

6 hours ago, adambar said:

What an enjoyable and beautiful tour Gerold, thank you for that! :)

+1 !! :) what a nice trip in the sim and in RL !!

(PS : For the reef in the sim you could use REX Textures to improve the reef aspects and to be very similar...you surely know it ?)

12 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

What an amazing comparison, Gerold. Very well done !!

Dankeschön, Bernd!

11 hours ago, musterpilot said:

You have done very well with these shots

John

Thanks John. Now guess how many pictures I took in the sim and in the real flight to make this mix...?

9 hours ago, adambar said:

What an enjoyable and beautiful tour Gerold, thank you for that! :)

It was my pleasure, Adam. In both flights...

3 hours ago, lauriebe said:

Fantastic mix of sim/RL shots there Gerold. Good to see the old "Belslow" in there.  Is that still parked up at Cairns?  The sole survivor of its type I think.

Thank you Laurie. I did not know it is just parked, I was just very pleased to see she matches the Orbx scenery perfectly.

3 hours ago, mikee said:

Super great set of shots Gerold , well done :)

Thanks Mikee. At least navigation was easy on this flight.

2 hours ago, jean marc said:

+1 !! :) what a nice trip in the sim and in RL !!

(PS : For the reef in the sim you could use REX Textures to improve the reef aspects and to be very similar...you surely know it ?)

Merci Jean Marc. I have Set 18 - Dark - Shallow Coral running. Maybe the sunshine of that day needs a slightly less dark version.

Archived