Orbx airports visited in real life - a rolling story

Stillwater

I'm guessing not UK or USA as the speed limit below the speed bump sign is probably in kilometers.

Edited by boetie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

Looks spanish to me…

Definitely not in Scandinavia  😁 

But seriously, the stripes on the taxis look spanish.

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ikbenik said:

Hi, yes please go ahead for a new chalenge...

That would only be next week, as I am traveling (again). No Orbx airports on the way, I fear…

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 10:36 AM, boetie said:

Just spent the last hour revisiting this thread. What a great journey! Thank you Gerold, may it keep going and going :)

Absolutely!

And definitely the oldest still "really" active thread in these forums.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 3/26/2024 at 10:37 AM, ikbenik said:

Hi, yes please go ahead for a new chalenge...

It took me some time to find a suitable current one. And probably it won´t take long until you recognize it?

pVDMfdQ.jpeg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, paulk said:

Great another photo competition.

So not got a clue but looking at the small propellor aircraft I’m going to guess Tasmania, Launceston???

Paul, you were fast. Too fast. Lonnie is correct! I would have to take another continent to make it more challenging, once it would be my turn again.

But now it´s yours, do you have one?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Total guess as I’ve never been just looked at Sharp Airlines and started researching.

I am away for a few days but will try find something.

Anyone else please feel free to jump in. 

• Like 1

Well, I was together with 'Stillwater' winner on a previous guess, so my opportunity to post follow shot:

Take-Off-in-BAe146.jpg

Hint: Take-off in BAe146-300 from runway 20....but what airport?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ikbenik said:

my opportunity to post follow shot:

Hint: Take-off in BAe146-300 from runway 20....but what airport?

Great that you jump in and place a difficult question...

The building is uncommonly huge. I would suppose something in England?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Great that you jump in and place a difficult question...

The building is uncommonly huge. I would suppose something in England?

No, but indeed somewhere in Europe....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The large building is very confusing.

BAe146-300 I was thinking Lufthansa and a German airport?

However, 2 airports that have a runway 20 are Paris - Orly, and Barcelona, although, picture doesn't look like either.

I'm not sure of the date your photo was taken and I don't think any major European carriers use the BAe-146 any more, so it could be an old Orly or Barcelona???

Edited by paulk

No not Paris-Orly or Barcelona. Maybe a mistake from me: not a pure Orbx-airport but from a partner via Orbx-Central.

Hint: The Control Tower that you see on top of the building is no longer in use, I took this picture in 2010.

I am not sure if the runway in question is now not 01 / 19? As the world’s MAGVAR alters over so many years.

If that’s the case I would like a further guess of Brussels?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, paulk said:

I am not sure if the runway in question is now not 01 / 19? As the world’s MAGVAR alters over so many years.

If that’s the case I would like a further guess of Brussels?

Hello, it is indeed Brussels, the largest airport at the capital of my country. I have an airport-chart that is maybe not updated runway numers, the indicated 20 is possible now 19, reason unknown. I was flying to London Heathrow for a connection flight to Phoenix on a B747-400 of British Airlines in July2010.

The airport is for MSFS modelled by Aerosoft. So 'paulk' congrats and you're up for a new challenge.

Edited by ikbenik
  • Like 2

Hi

Thanks I enjoyed this one, it kept me busy. I have the Brussels add-on - its fantastic.

For Info: the worlds Magnetic Field changes over an 11 year cycle. Most aircraft IRS systems have a Magnetic Variation table stored in them for the world (this can also be updated via a software upload), known as the MAGVAR table. Airport runway identifications are rounded to the nearest 10' depending on the local Magnetic Variation for the airfield.

Eg: Brussels Runway 200 official magnetic heading would be anything between 195 to 204' However, due yearly magnetic variation changes, the runway must now be in the 185 to 194' area and the runway will have been re-categorized as 190. This is common for all airfields around the world. (obviously local magnetic variation is much worse towards the poles and that's why aircraft switch from Magnetic to True North navigation whilst over the polar regions).

Anyway enough of the science lets see if I can find a new photo for you all.

Edited by paulk
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, boetie said:

Oh dear, I was wrong, I now know the correct location. Sorry William :)

Sorry William 😃

I think you may know the answer, fell free to PM me to check and therefore leave open for others to guess for a while.

Edited by paulk
  • Like 1