TrueEarth US Oregon: The Beaver State comes to life!

11739-b0bb23fad1b6e2293969c6169831b164.j

We are proud to announce the second US TrueEarth region - the state of Oregon! Following on from Washington, TrueEarth US Oregon has been developed from highly detailed 10m Digital Elevation Model (DEM) and LiDAR data resulting in realism and accuracy that is hard to ignore. 

4-060032f79956e823a1361ec52d2fdffb.jpg

Affectionately known as The Beaver State, Oregon boasts some of the most scenic views in the USA. From the lush forests in the east, to the dry deserts and mountains of the west, Oregon contains a variety of landscapes which we have faithfully depicted in this package. Our X-Plane team has worked hard to create an immersive and picturesque region that any pilot can appreciate. 

We have gone all out in customizing TrueEarth US Oregon - you will really see the difference in the hand corrected and sharpened aerial imagery and water masking at 2m per pixel. We have also customized the autogen buildings, which means the residential areas for example are filled with actual  Oregon-style houses. The tree and building heights are also accurate to the region.  

What really sets TrueEarth Oregon apart though, are the Points of Interest. All of our POIs were designed using PBR (physically-based rendering) which means that they will glint and reflect sun and rain - of which there is plenty in this part of the world! Of special note to aviation fans is the Tillamook Air Museum which features a giant US Navy blimp hangar!

Portland has been massively overhauled as you can see in the slider image below. It has been given the Orbx CityScape treatment resulting in a stunning urban experience. We have also enhanced major cities and towns such as Eugene, Corvallis, and Salem. 

We have been collating feedback from you, and are offering you two options for purchase:

TrueEarth US Oregon HD - AUD$64.95

The High Definition (HD) version of TrueEarth Oregon uses 1.2m/pixel (ZL17) orthoimagery and takes 225GB disk space when uncompressed by Orbx Central (similar to Washington). This version is better suited to those of you who have a video card with more than 8GB and ample disk storage space. This provides slightly more detailed imagery below 2000FT for those who like to fly low and slow. If you purchase this version, you will also get the SD version below for free.

TE USA Oregon SD - AUD$54.95

The Standard Definition (SD) version of TrueEarth Oregon uses 2.4m/pixel (ZL16) sharpened orthoimagery and takes 63GB disk space and no decompression is used by Orbx Central. This version is better suited to customers with video cards less than 8GB. This allows the texture slider to be set to 'Max' resulting in imagery almost the same quality as the HD version, but using 1/4 of the disk space.If you decide to upgrade to the HD version at a later time, you can do so for AUD$10.

And now for the screenshots - please note these are all taken with the HD pack installed:

Newport

4-d17c2de20b7e678d4570dc4bd5c75e00.jpg

Portland
4-e5e706ebdff2711427b874c870bafe7d.jpg

Tillamook
4-42b0cbfaaa411b6a278efaa652beff0f.jpg

Tillamook Air Museum
4-8978513e31a77d94ead9375229bd7cc1.jpg

North Bend
4-10f2f20892e9daf29aa209e5ef9a7680.jpg

Summer Lake

4-5384f654b591ff768dd98a01684056ca.jpg

Crater Lake National Park
4-4a7c6e22f4153709e80482b371b6c116.jpg

4-eb5fe9c8e19d52894cf74752a811c4b9.jpg

4-6878ca1406155bad5258af7cd7058be7.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious when are these TE sceneries coming out for P3d as there seem to be a few rolling out for Xplane but nothing since AU v2 for P3d, I understand it takes a lot of time and effort to produce them but it does seem a little imbalanced in what’s coming out for each platform. 

13 minutes ago, Ticker7 said:

Just curious when are these TE sceneries coming out for P3d as there seem to be a few rolling out for Xplane but nothing since AU v2 for P3d, I understand it takes a lot of time and effort to produce them but it does seem a little imbalanced in what’s coming out for each platform. 

Hi

JV posted the following on 26 July 2019

''OK since you asked ...

Orbx has two streams of development:

1. Independent Contractor Developers for Airports - these are well known 'brands' like Jarrad Marshall, Misha Cajic, Matteo Veneziano, Ken Hall, Tim Harris, Marcus Nyberg, Scott Armstrong, Bill Womack, Tore Stranden,, Andreas Hegi, Finni Hansen, Maurizio Giorgi, Allen Kriesman, Jordan Gough and a few others. Sometimes some of these developers simply lose their 'mojo' and leave projects for months or years at a time, or never go back to developing.

These developers are independent from Orbx in that they develop to their own schedule, part-time or full-time, and without deadlines imposed in their contracts. Orbx acts as their publisher and gives them access to our libraries, shared tools, online store, installer and obviously marketing resources etc. We cannot control the rate of their output, nor when their projects will be finished. This group also develops 99.9% of their content for P3D exclusively, and provide their files to Orbx who then may port to other platforms.

2. In-House Developers for Airports and Regions - these are people and teams like Turbulent Aviation, Gayasim, Tony Wroblewski, Holger Sandmann, Frank Schnibben, Chris Clack and many others - a total of about 40+ people, (soon to be 55+ people after our current recruitment phase is complete). These developers are full-time with Orbx, work to defined schedules with delivery deadlines and all their activity is funded by Orbx.

This is the fastest growing area of the company right now, and represents about 82% of our revenues which will soon will be over 90% or more. In addition to working on TE and LC regions, and global products, these groups develop airports for both XP11 and P3D in the same workflow, with releases happening usually on XP11 first, followed by P3D within a few weeks to a month. We will reduce that gap over time to the point where releases will only be weeks apart. With these projects we can much more accurately forecast release dates and have a solid roadmap to share with customers. All future roadmap discussions will focus on the In-House teams rather than the independent contractors. In this way we will not be at risk of announcing products that may be delayed or cancelled.

With the recent releases of EGNX and EGLC for XP11, the P3D versions are about 80% complete and will be released soon. So there may be a perception we are XP11 biased but that is totally not the case. Please also remember we promised to port almost all our airports from P3D to XP11 so you are going to see a LOT of release announcement for ported airports, but you need to remember FSX/P3D customers have been enjoying those airports for sometimes over a decade.

Looking at our internal roadmap, I can see the independent group of contractor developers have about 10-12 P3D brand new airports in various stages of completion. Some of these are close to being announced. So there is plenty of goodness coming your way in the next 9-12 months.'

Kind regards

Ian S

Washington is already HD (1.2m/ZL17), it’s just not named as such.

What you may be referring to is the Enhancement Pack for Washington which adds higher resolution autogen building textures and other extras. This has been delayed because it requires code updates to Orbx Central

More stunning work from Orbx.

Would it be possible to do a couple of the excellent 'slide left & see the difference' overlay shots using the HD & SD version of the same shot?? I find the technique very informative.

Also, & I may be completely wrong on this, but the initial intro refers to "From the lush forests in the east, to the dry deserts and mountains of the west,"

Is it not the other way around?

Dry deserts & Mountainous out East?

I think WA is & I would have thought Oregon would geographically be a continuation of that.

TTM

Another drooler here, looking at those long-awaited pictures. As I live on the Oregon coast I'm especially interested to see the offshore rocks that make the coast so distinct. Really looking forward to this one! 

One correction: Portland is not the capital of Oregon. The capital is Salem.

2 hours ago, John Venema said:

What you may be referring to is the Enhancement Pack for Washington which adds higher resolution autogen building textures and other extras. This has been delayed because it requires code updates to Orbx Central

John, is there any estimated date for the release of that more compact (SD?) version of TE Washington? For my PC specs it would help a lot. Best regards! @John Venema

Looks beautiful. How about a picture of Crater Lake Lodge?  I didn't spot it in the images of Crater Lake.  Too bad X-Plane doesn't have seasons, as a version of Crater Lake Lodge in winter covered by a giant snow drift would be a great sight.  If you ever visit Crater Lake I suggest staying in the Lodge.  It closes in mid October as the snow starts falling in earnest.

I made a flight yesterday (testing) from Klamath Falls to Crater Lake, OR.   As Crater Lake starts to come into view the scene is jaw dropping!   I've been there many times IRL.  If fact I'll be there tomorrow on my way up north to Seattle.   I'd have to go back and check on whether or not the Lodge is modeled.

1 hour ago, TigerTigerM said:

More stunning work from Orbx.

Would it be possible to do a couple of the excellent 'slide left & see the difference' overlay shots using the HD & SD version of the same shot?? I find the technique very informative.

Yes I plan to make those on Monday, please stand by.

50 minutes ago, Dario said:

John, is there any estimated date for the release of that more compact (SD?) version of TE Washington? For my PC specs it would help a lot. Best regards! @John Venema

We plan to release the TE Washington SD version ASAP after Oregon is out, won’t be too long. It will need some re-jigging on the original Washington product name and product page etc, but we’ll manage it.

Looks superb John.

So glad you've decided to offer the two versions as - and I'm sure this is true for many of us - to buy ORBX TrueEarth HD regions is to know you are buying the best that is available, period. This is what brand loyalty is all about after all and to have offered TrueEarth SD regions only would have broken that.

PS: Just finished installing a new 2TB SSD yesterday, so I'm ready - bring it on!

2 hours ago, John Venema said:

Yes I plan to make those on Monday, please stand by.

We plan to release the TE Washington SD version ASAP after Oregon is out, won’t be too long. It will need some re-jigging on the original Washington product name and product page etc, but we’ll manage it.

Thank you very much, John!!!

Looking absolutely fantastic as are the other area’s in True Earth class but does Orbx intend to carry on towards the East coast as really that area has been lacking the Orbx treatment. I can just imagine what New York or New England would look like in True Earth style. I hope so and I hope I’m still around to enjoy it. Derek.

Dear God, the rate at which these are being released is truly impressive. For years I’ve prided myself on trying to keep up with each release. I hope I  can maintain that until at least California, but I’ve been bloody well pensioned off so thereafter  I just don’t know. Still, this is by no means a complaint, I love that your output is so in excess of what it was. When I think of that Voz freeware for FSX that I picked up back in 2010 - I think, - and  back then that was considered something of a leap forward in scenery quality. Then the colour coded regions for Aus and so in. And then I consider the quality of what is released now. You’ve done wonderfully and I would say that you have to have been one of the.most important influences in revolutionising desktop simulation for ordinary bods like me. Thanks guys, while I have the cash I’ll keep on keeping up. 

Neil.

42 minutes ago, Mickslick said:

I have no problem paying more for the high rez version, however, I would also like the lower rez option as well.  Seems logical that if you pay extra for the high rez one would then have access to the lower rez version as well.

:blink:???

"image.png.2032bbe8f31cbdbb534444ab93cf250f.png"

Not sure why your stumped by my post.  Let me explain. If my system is struggling with the higher resolution in metro areas for instance, or, if I just want to have a smoother less stutter prone experience in Oregon as a change up, It would be a nice option to install either version if the highest priced option is purchased. For instance, in True Earth WA, there is noticeable stutter in Seattle metro with the current version.  When the new lower 16 base rez version is released, then this may improve the experience there so it would be informative to try the lower resolution to see the difference in both performance and visuals, then make a call what I want to use either permanently or temporarily depending on perceived trade offs I desire.

23 minutes ago, Mickslick said:

"image.png.2032bbe8f31cbdbb534444ab93cf250f.png"

Not sure why your stumped by my post.  Let me explain. If my system is struggling with the higher resolution in metro areas for instance, or, if I just want to have a smoother less stutter prone experience in Oregon as a change up, I can have both the low and high rez versions installed on my scenery dedicated hard drive, then a quick change in the custom scenery config file would switch up which loads. So, I would like to have the option and would likely use both versions, thus, access to both for the price of the highest would be a nice option to have.  If Orbx Central won't allow dual installations, there are usually ways to manually configure this if ok within the license agreement, or even if it meant installing one for a while via Central, uninstalling and installing the other, that would also be a option I would like to have.

Orbx Central does allow dual/triple installations. You just need to create "Libraries" for each XP install you have. Remember though that the Licence is for one PC so no problem if you have 2 XP installations on the same PC.

9 hours ago, Mickslick said:

I have no problem paying more for the high rez version, however, I would also like the lower rez option as well.  Seems logical that if you pay extra for the high rez one would then have access to the lower rez version as well.

You do... the annoucement topic states: 

If you purchase this version, you will also get the SD version below for free.

20 hours ago, John Venema said:

Just reread the above post and see that you say it is already HD, but I’m sure I read that’s just for high end cards like a 1080. Well I’m just on a 1060 card with an i5 Cpu and it appears to run fine at 30 and above in some places and maybe even higher in others. Derek.

16 hours ago, idontknow123 said:

Hi,

Can you please advise what kind of water textures are you using please ?

Thanks in advance.

I use UWXP (Ultra Weather XP) which gives me a different water/cloud/sky set each time I load the sim, so I could not tell what was used in those shots.

Archived