Kern Valley (L05) : real vs Orbx

vbazillio

Dear Simmers,

I continue my flight report based on my real flights trip in California last May. After visiting Oceano (L52) (see screen shots comparison here) and Big Bear (screens are here), here are screen shots comparison at Kern Valley airport. Real pics were take the 4 of May, this day the runway 17 is in use. Flight Sim is Prepar3D 4.5 with Orbx Kern Valley.

48218914382_568e855c87_b_d.jpg

Right downwind

48218864966_207d113965_b_d.jpg

Turning right base

48218914277_fd9449c563_b_d.jpg

Turning final

48218914322_629e764742_b_d.jpg

Final runway 17

48218914142_ee079a6d72_b_d.jpg

Touch down. Look at the campground at the right

48218914162_ef98e4148e_b_d.jpg

Our plane (old goodies C172 180 hp) at Kern Valley main ramp in front of the restaurant

48218864856_8c6fa63a80_b_d.jpg

The restaurant on the field. Look at the bended propeler ;)

48218914072_4ae7016fda_b_d.jpg

From the restaurant's terrasse

48218914027_553c49abf4_b_d.jpg

The Weather Forecasting Stone

For the record, I fly as much as I can from San Diego despite I leave in France. This time, I wanted to visit some famous Orbx fields. You know, sceneries you practise much in front of my PC, here from Paris, France. I'm only PPL/VFR and learn as many of simmers the basis and more in front my PC, thanks to great addons like Orbx and innovative network. I'm really fortunate to be able to choose destinations based on my sim experience ;) And if you want to see Kern Valley from the cockpit of a Cessna 172, here is the video I capture :

Lovely and interesting set ! You show very well  the dev's excellent job. You also underlines the need for P3D to improve the atmospheric light ! Bringing terrain shadows to the sim was a big step forward but we are hungry for more.  The California soft light in your real world pics makes all the difference.

Only thing, I love your videos, but please use time acceleration with more parsimony ;) :) !

Thank you all ;)

33 minutes ago, dominique said:

Only thing, I love your videos, but please use time acceleration with more parsimony

It's always hard to find the good balance between uncut video and shorter one. There is a mix of short (some with time acceleration) and longer videos on my Youtube channel. I, once, survey readers and watchers on my blog for the length of videos they want to watch. I reached almost a 50/50 situation ;)

48 minutes ago, vbazillio said:

Thank you all ;)

It's always hard to find the good balance between uncut video and shorter one. There is a mix of short (some with time acceleration) and longer videos on my Youtube channel. I, once, survey readers and watchers on my blog for the length of videos they want to watch. I reached almost a 50/50 situation ;)

I had a look at the YT statistics of my own videos. Over 5 minutes is too long for most of the viewers... I wasn’t complaining about the length btw but about the acceleration which hurt my eyes. I guess younger eyes can cope better with the judder:).

• 3 months later...

Back to this thread, I edited the full arrival and landing at this surprising (for me, first time) field. 20 minutes vidéo. Thanks again goest to Orbx to help me figure out, at home in front of my PC, were hills where ;) I'm french so tchat in cockpit are in... French, but please click on subtile ENGLISH in Youtube interface. 

Archived