Big Bear : real vs sim

vbazillio

I'm just back from a awesome flight trip in south California (and Neveda, Utah...) with a small Cessna 172. As destinations, I picked some airfields I love and practice so much times in my flight simulator. Some are Orbx scenery obviously. Here is a teaser of upcoming screen shots ;)

47987188078_eeffc828ed_b_d.jpg

Thank for all your kind messages ! Here are other comparison shots.

47998384838_efbd900068_b_d.jpg

47998384462_4670208c17_b_d.jpg

47998424911_d9e4af9be6_b_d.jpg

47998384417_f68d64f8ff_b_d.jpg

47998384748_263ececc04_b_d.jpg

47998424801_164958cc1b_b_d.jpg

6 hours ago, JaseJ said:

Beauty, how realistic? 

It's really a matter of relativity. When you fly there in real, you - without doubt - recognize more or less everything, it looks familiar. Take the red Robinson R44 for example. Is not exactly the same, it's simulated and reproduced and enough hints help make it familiar (position, color). This is the role of the sim in 2019 and it's far better than 25 years ago when I started and it will be better and better in the futur. Actually, screen shots comparison deserve the talent and work of developers. When you sit back at your desktop and compare pictures, it's another story. There a lot of things missing and color doesn't always matched. Things look the same and different and the same time. Look at mountain for example, there are there but seems to be (as an example) less tall. But there are where they are supposed to be. Obviously, the scenery is 4 years old and the field has a real life in between. The major big update is the fuel island. The old single fuel pump has been removed and replaced by a brand new multi-positions (island) fuel station. 

To summarize. The flight simulation with this top notch quality addons does the job. Period. Thanks to talented developers. They simulate our environnement so well that they make you familiar with the real world. And , don't compare pixels in my previous screen shots ;)

29 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Just awesome.  You must have had a great time.

Thanks it worst than that ! ;) Obviously, I didn't limit to Big Bear. I'll have TwentyNine Palms (KTNP), Oceano (L52) and Kern Valley (L05) to share with you, just name some of the field I never flew before (I fly regularly from San Diego) and know in the sim. Here is the full trip (San Diego, Barkersfield, Monterey, Mojave, Las Vegas, Page, Monument Valley, Marble Canyon, Sedona, 29Palms, Big Bear, San Luis Obispo, Oceano, Kern Valley, Torrance, San Diego) :

46872379045_22a0275e93_b_d.jpg

42 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

You are a very fortunate person!  I envy a trip like this, yes I’d love to see more.

Oh :-[ ! Thank you A flight instructor tought me 10 years ago how to travel with my Cessna in this area (US). I do my best to re-share what he tough me, his knowledge. Everytime I have opportunity to fly in real in these sim. sceneries environment that I know and practise so often in front of my PC from here in Europe, I pinch myself and capture as much as I can from these moments.

I run a blog where since 15 years I collect and share my sim and real experience since my first pattern training It's in french at this address http://20-100-video.blogspot.com/ I also plan to translate all the stories I wrote from this last flight trip (Farwest'19) but don't know if it fits on some of this Orbx Forum. At least, the episode where Orbx sceneries are involved will get copy/paste on this forum.

15 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

WOnderful comparisons, thanks for showing.

We are so lucky to have such a talented team bringing us these superb sceneries.

You are very fortunate to be able to visit these places too.:)

I can't believe my eyes!!!!

Lazarus is that you? resurrected ?

Hi Marty!!!!

So nice to see you back!!

Archived