Microsoft released a new announcement

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Ridvan Celik said:

No this https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/ home page 

Thanks, will look at that site,  as well.   Like I said, I have invested heavily with Orbx in  FSX, P3D, XP.x, and it's just the nature of my beast...will pick this up, first day of release.  I can't afford a real plane, the lessons, the rentals...but can afford another flight simulator with a new engine driving it. That, yes, I can still afford...(large smile...)

Post Edit, afterthought...

Orbx's about to be released XP11  TrueEarth Washington, is showing us, that we truly are now in the 24th century alongside, Kirk...as far as scenery representation goes when compared to the seed-bed of 1984.....I'm thinking that what we are seeing in the trailer, will be upon your computer screen RTM....  Go, Microsoft...go...

PNW

5 minutes ago, PNW User said:

Thanks, will look at that site,  as well.   Like I said, I have invested heavily with Orbx in  FSX, P3D, XP.x, and it's just the nature of my beast...will pick this up, first day of release.  I can't afford a real plane, the lessons, the rentals...but can afford another flight simulator with a new engine driving it. That, yes, I can still afford...(large smile...)

PNW

I think flight simulators are the best things ever made. And personally I think with this one we have a winner.

Two things stand out from the latest update:

1. "We are making Microsoft Flight Simulator. Emphasis on the word SIMULATOR."

That makes me very happy.

2. "Yes. We are supporting 3rd Party Content Development and Community Content creation. We are aware of the concerns in the current eco-system and are working to address them.

Yes. We genuinely want to work closely with the community in the development of this title."

That should make a certain few developers breathe easier. Even if the products they get to offer or how they get to sell them might not be the same way they are used to.

I hope a CEO not a million miles away from here, his band of merry men and lady, all feel like this can be a positive turn of events.

1 hour ago, F737NG said:

Yes. We genuinely want to work closely with the community in the development of this title

Phew!

good enough statement for me to join the MSFS 2020 Insiders Program...

Google Earth VR (for example) is good - very good overall representation, in fact - but, Orbx has some highly developed models & skills & team, + a very loyal & knowledgeable customer base...

cheers

6 hours ago, Ridvan Celik said:

Just read the new announcement and they confirm it will be a simulator and have 3rd party developer support. I think this great news for companies like Orbx. Read it on the official website. 

Thank you for the headup, Ridvan. These are rather good news to read at breakfast. But the devil is in the details. Still curious to know the business relationship they think of for 3rd party dev. 

1 hour ago, dominique said:

Thank you for the headup, Ridvan. These are rather good news to read at breakfast. But the devil is in the details. Still curious to know the business relationship they think of for 3rd party dev. 

Yes, really good news. Personally I think that they are very aware of what they need to do to achieve the same success as the previous releases in the franchise... they really outlined the importance of third party and the flight sim community. They wouldn’t make such an announcement without knowing the expectations of the community. 

From this section here:

"Thank you for being patient enough to weather the turbulence caused by some of our previous missteps. Thank you for being willing to look to the possibilities of the future while asking us to be accountable for the past."

It sounds like they're acknowledging what they've done wrong in the past and this team wants to go in the right direction. We'll see what happens!

19 minutes ago, mrd0ct0r said:

From this section here:

"Thank you for being patient enough to weather the turbulence caused by some of our previous missteps. Thank you for being willing to look to the possibilities of the future while asking us to be accountable for the past."

It sounds like they're acknowledging what they've done wrong in the past and this team wants to go in the right direction. We'll see what happens!

2 hours ago, Ridvan Celik said:

Yes, really good news. Personally I think that they are very aware of what they need to do to achieve the same success as the previous releases in the franchise... they really outlined the importance of third party and the flight sim community. They wouldn’t make such an announcement without knowing the expectations of the community. 

I agree to give them the benefit of the doubt. We already have  a nice  sim with good aircraft, sceneries and weather to fall back anyway. As a simmer, I don't see anything to lose. 

Only thing, I will postpone for the time being building a new rig.

Remember when FSX came out in October 2006 it took developers until around 2011 or so for FSX to really come of age, so that was about a 4 to 5 year process.

Microsoft Flight Simulator will release in 2020 which means potentially it will take until 2024 for third party development to catch up. I am looking forward to what it brings but I also know that I am still well invested in P3D for many years to come as well. 

1 hour ago, Matthew Kane said:

Remember when FSX came out in October 2006 ...

True but in addition, look at what the default FSX was and what it looks like with the addons we have for it now and compare it to the video. So unlike FSX, we might be starting with a default sim that out of the box compares to a nicely loaded sim of present. Also I remember FSX was an almost slide show at release if one had everything maxed. Improved coding of P3D/ XP/ AFS2 as well as computers getting better also change the landscape of what things were like when FSX was released and what we might have in a year.

I'm with you that I have plenty to enjoy while this sim has a chance to mature but see a different and short growth period. A2A once said that they have a lot of their code outside of the sim so they could be one developer who already has a leg up if there is a kind of simconnect. Also everything is 64 bit now so all the developers have already advanced a good amount past that learning curve as well as working with PBR. 

1 hour ago, Matthew Kane said:

Remember when FSX came out in October 2006 it took developers until around 2011 or so for FSX to really come of age, so that was about a 4 to 5 year process.

Microsoft Flight Simulator will release in 2020 which means potentially it will take until 2024 for third party development to catch up. I am looking forward to what it brings but I also know that I am still well invested in P3D for many years to come as well. 

I think developers have advanced and are much more experienced now

in developing addons.... I think the transition will be immediate. A few weeks-months of reading, studying and playing around with the sdk. That’s my personal opinion.

13 hours ago, dominique said:

I agree to give them the benefit of the doubt. We already have  a nice  sim with good aircraft, sceneries and weather to fall back anyway. As a simmer, I don't see anything to lose. 

Only thing, I will postpone for the time being building a new rig.

That's exactly the point of the announcement. Save your money so that you'll have money to spend when the time comes.

8 hours ago, Kilstorm said:

True but in addition, look at what the default FSX was and what it looks like with the addons we have for it now and compare it to the video. So unlike FSX, we might be starting with a default sim that out of the box compares to a nicely loaded sim of present. Also I remember FSX was an almost slide show at release if one had everything maxed. Improved coding of P3D/ XP/ AFS2 as well as computers getting better also change the landscape of what things were like when FSX was released and what we might have in a year.

I'm with you that I have plenty to enjoy while this sim has a chance to mature but see a different and short growth period. A2A once said that they have a lot of their code outside of the sim so they could be one developer who already has a leg up if there is a kind of simconnect. Also everything is 64 bit now so all the developers have already advanced a good amount past that learning curve as well as working with PBR. 

There is no reason why the simming experience shouldn't be smooth since day One if they rehab the .bgl scenery system.  All the large games we play (RPG etc.) are as heavy in sceneries and physics (ballistics etc.) as a flight silmulator, sometimes more.

Also if they provide developers with the SDK before the FS  release we should get addons pretty soon. 

In their second press release, they say they have learnt from their mistakes. Crossing the fingers.

7 hours ago, glj said:

That's exactly the point of the announcement. Save your money so that you'll have money to spend when the time comes.

In my experience, you'd better have the last iteration of Intel, Nvidia etc if you get yourself a new sim.:)

With the last two Flight Simulator failures I think I will bide my time with this new Sim and have a wait and see approach. I have Prepar3d, X-Plane 11 and Aerofly FS2 to keep me going and downloading Washington XP as I write. 

20 minutes ago, macca22au said:

I'm scared....

I'm going for three times lucky B)

But one thing foresure is every release of Microsoft Flight Simulator since the early 80s they have all been good. The last 2 were not called Microsoft Flight Simulator. The notion that they have taken that name back and are rebooting it is promising. I don't predict perfection but more likely challenges because That's Life 

2 hours ago, ArtFlyer said:

I read somewhere its going to be monthly subscription of Xbox game pass and you must also subscribe to Xbox live if you want to play online. And yes for the PC version not just the Xbox version.

That fs2020 be offered in the XB game pass is almost certain. It does not preclude that it couldn't be also sold as a standalone.

2 hours ago, ArtFlyer said:

I read somewhere its going to be monthly subscription of Xbox game pass and you must also subscribe to Xbox live if you want to play online. And yes for the PC version not just the Xbox version.

I have never read that on any Microsoft posting which is where i would base all my knowledge to date on this new sim. All else is pure conjecture or rumour.

Remember that when Microsoft announced the development of the new sim and posted details, some people immediately started posting on forums that it was for X Box only, despite the fact the statement clearly said for PC first and then X Box.

I would rather wait to hear details from the horse's mouth rather than from the other end of the horse:) This comment is not directed at you ArtFlyer but a general comment in regard to all the conjecture.

Macca22au, I am with you 100% on that, I well remember Microsoft walking away from the many simmers that invested heavily; Support stopped, there was no thank you, no good-bye, nothing! It is a mixed bag of thoughts right now with this news! Prepared and X-Plane have been working hard for us and of course ORBX bringing us the best of the best and now Microsoft hiding in the shadows jumps out and flashes a new simulator! Sorta feel like they said to hell with us and left and now that they see the developers who stood fast and continued to support the Flight Sim Community making a profit now they want back in. I have to admit the screen shots are beautiful and the new sim may have promise only time will tell? I do not like the fact that a big Corporation comes back into the game possibly hurting those that have stood by our side in developments we all enjoy; especially when they left so many simmers hang out to dry! Yes, competition is great and maybe this new sim will motivate the other Flight Sim developers to also release something new that is equal or better! At the very least it should alert the current Flight Sim developers to start addressing some of the bigger request of the community, (long standing performance issues). A Company that big that walked away from its Flight Simulator custom base...I don't know at this point if i will be with them. Man if ORBX had its own flight simulator we would be set!

:banghead:

1 hour ago, Cyclone1 said:

Macca22au, I am with you 100% on that, I well remember Microsoft walking away from the many simmers that invested heavily; Support stopped, there was no thank you, no good-bye, nothing! It is a mixed bag of thoughts right now with this news! Prepared and X-Plane have been working hard for us and of course ORBX bringing us the best of the best and now Microsoft hiding in the shadows jumps out and flashes a new simulator! Sorta feel like they said to hell with us and left and now that they see the developers who stood fast and continued to support the Flight Sim Community making a profit now they want back in. I have to admit the screen shots are beautiful and the new sim may have promise only time will tell? I do not like the fact that a big Corporation comes back into the game possibly hurting those that have stood by our side in developments we all enjoy; especially when they left so many simmers hang out to dry! Yes, competition is great and maybe this new sim will motivate the other Flight Sim developers to also release something new that is equal or better! At the very least it should alert the current Flight Sim developers to start addressing some of the bigger request of the community, (long standing performance issues). A Company that big that walked away from its Flight Simulator custom base...I don't know at this point if i will be with them. Man if ORBX had its own flight simulator we would be set!

:banghead:

Now don't hurt yourself banging your head against the wall, my friend ! Not worth it :lol: .

I understand your point. I am so glad that LM took over from MS to continue the tradition of a good FS-based simulator .

But I would see things differently. First, at 70 yo, I take one thing at a time, specially anything good thing coming my way.  Let's have a look at what MS brings to the table. Then I am still puzzled that a large defence contractor has put its toes into the consumer market pool. I suspect that it won't last as long as (as we say in French), we paying taxes. FS2020 might be the simulator we need to fall back if LM gives up on bitching brats simmers. 

I'm VERY excited about this new Microsoft Flight Simulator!

My PC is old, and by today's standards, it is very under-powered! However, I've always preferred photoscenery over landclass type scenery, and without autogen, my antiquated machine handles THAT, with anything A2A or PMDG throws at it REALLY well! 

I've slowly been moving away from GA, and more towards the likes of the 737, and as I have most of Europe, as well as vast tracts of America represented in payware and freeware photoreal,  'continuity' has never been an issue. I can fly from Edinburgh to Corfu or the Canary Islands without even glimpsing 'LandClass'.  I run it all in FSX, and hadn't felt a need to upgrade my PC or platform..............until the showcasing of Orbx 'True Earth'.

Having wanted to experience VR for quite some time, I had to reevaluate. I needed a new 'performance' gaming PC, and a new simulator platform. I was pretty set on X-Plane 11 with True Earth, and July was going to herald this 'new dawn'.

And then came THAT trailer :D

Don't get me wrong. That True Earth stuff looks the Daddy! But, flying from the UK in a 737 would (at this time) be a little restrictive if nothing less that True Earth would do. At first, I thought short hops from the UK to Holland would suffice, but THAT trailer has brought me to my senses! Its a BIG world out there, and I want to see it!

Of course, we don't yet know what the ground imagery between the satellite areas in MFS 2020 will look like, but i suspect it will integrate pretty seamlessly. It will take Orbx a VERY long time to churn out THAT much True Earth, but i'm not burning my bridges just yet. True Earth is a labour of love, I understand that. It takes time, I understand that too, but this new 2020 Tech just has that 'window to the future' feel for me.

What I DO know is that my replacement PC is on hold, and all flight simulator purchases suspended until the release of MFS 2020. Then, (and only then), I will revisit the options.

You may be very right Dominique, I too go back to the days of Commodore 64; lol! Nothing wrong with progress and change, however something seriously wrong with abandoning a large customer base and then wanting back in as if nothing happened! Second chance may be the word, only time will tell. 

17 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

I just pray for all Orbx products bought to be compatible with this new one, it would be a blast if they are but an absolute frustration if not

Well, at this point we basically know nothing about FS2020, but I highly doubt that it will be backwards compatible with the old generartion of FS-based Sims.

The Trailer looks amazing, and the scenery seems to be based on Technology more like the one that is used e.g. in Google Earth, not something we have seen in Sims so far.

We´ll see, but I would not hold my breath...

1 hour ago, carlosqr said:

I just pray for all Orbx products bought to be compatible with this new one, it would be a blast if they are but an absolute frustration if not

I don't know Carlos, ...  The FS scenery engine really needs some heavy rehab. I am no developer but I do some little sceneries for myself that sometimes I put to the public. I correct the geographic position of an airport here (looking at Nicoya right now  ;) !), throw a couple of hangars and LC polygons there, even made an airport in PNG.... Amateur work. I am always amazed to see what the pro do with what they have. It is wizardry ! The system is really technically outdated and quite limited. They outstrech it to the limit. 

Also , we cannot but see in the recent years that sat imagery became more abundant, that AI does wonder  interpreting this imagery (photogrammetry) and streaming becomes a way of life. It would be great if  our sim could benefit from all that. 

I fly a lot with Global, Vector, OpenLCs and the Pilot's mesh. I love it but look forward with anticipation what MS could put on my screen.

4 minutes ago, dominique said:

looking at Nicoya right now

Bonjour Dominique

What are you checking there? :) I'm interested

I wonder if you could help with MRPV

I had the airport installed (freeware) but now it no longer shows

I'll reach you in PM

Thank you

On 6/22/2019 at 2:29 AM, macca22au said:

I'm scared....

...don't be too scared, for M.S. started it all...and still feel like they simply walked away...(which they absolutely did...), and I bet you...that RTM, it's going to quite revolutionary.  They are certainly very incentified to kick out something quite, on day one, spectacular...

...my six cents....

21 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

I have never read that on any Microsoft posting which is where i would base all my knowledge to date on this new sim. All else is pure conjecture or rumour.

Remember that when Microsoft announced the development of the new sim and posted details, some people immediately started posting on forums that it was for X Box only, despite the fact the statement clearly said for PC first and then X Box.

I would rather wait to hear details from the horse's mouth rather than from the other end of the horse:) This comment is not directed at you ArtFlyer but a general comment in regard to all the conjecture.

Confirmed at E3 MSFS will be separate from Xbox, but you will need game pass subscription and an Xbox Live gold if you want to play online:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-e3-2019-xbox-game-pass-for-pc-detailed-b/1100-6467516/

PC version of game pass will be an "introductory" subscription of $5 per month with no option for annual fee. $15 for the Ultimate. 

If anyone is using Windows 10 you can hit the window key and type in Maps and open the Maps app, from their on the top right corner you can switch to Aerial and middle of the right hand side switch to 3D view. This is the scenery they were using in the demo so you can have a look at it for yourself. For example you can compare Downtown Houston and the stadium to the demo video and everything matches up including all those cars around the stadium.

What I am hoping for, as that is really good default scenery for a sim, better then what they have done in the past but it does have its flaws, hopefully third party developers can also suppress regions and we can have the option of purchasing third party airports or regions etc, which would be great as not all the world is in 3D on their servers. A lot of the world is still missing in 3D so lots of work to do if this is the scenery source. Close up of this scenery can get very clunky so having 3D Models around airports is better, but time consuming, which is an area that Third Party Developers could certainly contribute.  Another area not known is if the default scenery will have seasons.  Not sure how any of this will work yet but time will tell.

Also if you look closely at KLAX in the demo and look at KLAX on that Maps server it does not match up, which suggests that airports have been redone with 3D Modeling methods instead of the clunky mesh used in the default servers. Feel free to play around as well

On 6/23/2019 at 1:50 AM, dominique said:

That fs2020 be offered in the XB game pass is almost certain. It does not preclude that it couldn't be also sold as a standalone.

Correct.  It will be separate from Xbox, but was announced at E3 as required Xbox game pass subscription, plus Live if you want to play online.

I had a thought last night when looking out the window and i think a specific addon does this in x plane, but it would be nice to have the low clouds illuminated over dense city areas with lots of lights...would look very nice on approach. What do you guys think?

Archived