Microsoft released a new announcement

18 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

The left part of the scenery is very great, but not so great for the right part. I hope the blocky trees, houses and scenery will be fixed.

The sim looks very great and can't wait to fly in. My point was only to show that, not all locations will be as perfects then the ones we are looking at in those videos.

Ah, now I see what you mean. Where have you got this shot from? Is it an official one? Despite the sim is in pre alpha I wonder that MS is releasing a shot showing these faults.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/18/2019 at 12:22 PM, wolfko said:

Ah, now I see what you mean. Where have you got this shot from? Is it an official one? Despite the sim is in pre alpha I wonder that MS is releasing a shot showing these faults.

I think they show that to confirm that it's in-game footage and that not everything will be perfect (also, pre-alpha of course).

Guys, I know that everyone's jumped on the MSFS hype now and can't wait to get his hands on the new sim. I agree that this is pretty exciting. BUT... let me introduce you to a somewhat more realistic perspective: If MSFS comes with only half the shortcomings and ridiculous flaws that these series is known for, it will take ages (so, years) to get this sim to the same level of flying as Prepar3D. It could turn out differently, and look at their potential excuses:

• Ooops, the mesh is not as accurate as some existing 3rd party products for P3D, because we felt there are more important things for customers. But look at Mt. Rainier instead, which we handcrafted for this showcase...
  • Ooops, we forgot to do a nicer rendition of the Himalayas, Indonesia, Africa, and "some" other parts of the world. But anyhow, we felt that customers wouldn't care that much about these regions...
  • Ooops, these super nice clouds that you see here in our showcase are only availabe when flying over the US, because we need especially crafted weather data for them, and our contract is exclusively with the NOAA. We felt it appropiate to provide you with FS2004 clouds for the rest of the world...
  • Ooops, we were a little short on airport data, so we decided it would be best to recycle FSX airport data once more. But never mind, LAX and SEA and Courchevel are really nicely crafted...
  • Ooops, we wanted to have an all new aerodynamic system with hundreds of calculated points on the aircraft, but this turned out to be really hard, and we felt it could get a little difficult for some customers to fly the 747 then, so we just kept to the FS2002 system. But look at this glider here, it has a total of 3 aerodynamic calculation points here...
  • Ooops, we wanted to have roads and accurate coastlines, but we felt that customers wouldn't appreciate it as much as we thought, so we decided to cut costs and only license road data for the US...
  • To be continued!

Sorry for pouring water into your wine. But we should all remember how much MS likes it to dump shit on their customers' expectations. And, honestly, how in the world is this guy in the video above going to amass the computer power needed to calculate all this stuff? On a global level??? And I presume historic weather data should be a thing of the past then?

6 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Sorry for pouring water into your wine. But we should all remember how much MS likes it to dump shit on their customers' expectations. And, honestly, how in the world is this guy in the video above going to amass the computer power needed to calculate all this stuff? On a global level??? And I presume historic weather data should be a thing of the past then?

It was years before I was able to afford a computer that wasn't immediately brought to its knees by FSX.

I fully expect the new version to do the same. :)

12 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Ich bin wach, aber du kannst ja gerne weiterträumen. :D

Lars, there is no point arguing with you about this, so I won't. Let's just wait and see. Btw, even if you might accuse me now of day dreaming, I think we will be positively surprised. I also firmly believe that ORBX has a bright future in this new environment.

6 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Cap'n Lars I have faith. Let's see what these guys can do. The Aces gave us FSX and it was damn good but a huge mistake to shut'em down.

FSX wasn't good at all, when it came out. It took for years until it came to the level on which it is now and this only with the help of addon developers like Orbx.

this new FS can only be positive, after years of using technology 10 years ago without any news.
this simulator is a breath of fresh air.
My experience with video games presentations E3 etc have taught me that from a 10 second trailer / gameplay it is not clear if a game deserves (no man s sky)
but here it is not FPS with history
it's a simulator, they have to do one thing, and do it well.

5 hours ago, wolfko said:

Lars übertreibt natürlich absichtlich ein bisschen. Aber im Grunde hat er ja vollkommen recht.

Das er übertreibt habe ich auch bemerkt. Ich ärgere mich eigentlich mehr über diese, so typisch deutschen "Aber", die immer gleich im Vorfeld zur Stelle sind und alles in Frage stellen. Ganz anders die anderen Kommentare hier; siehe z.B. den Post hierdrüber (176).

Kai

Archived