Microsoft released a new announcement

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. That is indeed impressive. Some of those dark and nasty looking clouds not even the Mule Team would venture into:rolleyes:. That icing and rain effect is stunning. Bring that sim out asap. Although it will cause a serious "rift" with "She who must be obeyed".:unsure::D

I agree that it looks amazing, but to me all we're seeing is a modern graphics engine finally applied to the job of running a flight sim. All the CPU and GPU power we have in our PCs is just not used efficiently in the majority of current sims because they are all using very old code at the heart. The Flyinside sim has got streaming scenery working already from a tiny dev team and have produced impressive results. Just think what a giant like MS are capable of once they put their minds to it. 

A very interesting and informative  audio interview with Jorg Neumann & Sebastian Wloch of the MS 2020 Flight simulator development team .

Cheers

Renault

https://www.flightsim.com/images/features/msfdev/FlightSim.com-Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_Interview_AUDIO.m4a

1 hour ago, renault said:

A very interesting and informative  audio interview with Jorg Neumann & Sebastian Wloch of the MS 2020 Flight simulator development team .

Cheers

Renault

https://www.flightsim.com/images/features/msfdev/FlightSim.com-Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_Interview_AUDIO.m4a

Although long, this is really, really informative.  Recommend it to everyone to listen to.  Looks like we are in for a real treat!  Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

1994576323_Annotation2019-11-15165057.thumb.jpg.49bcd0dffc9bd5f112d8d35d1140ab86.jpg

In the Florence shot - I spotted a Café - in a square where I had lunch 10 years ago - 

and the low flight in Venice @ 60 fps - no stutters - the future is here - and it will be on my X Box Two in August 2020

and I won't need to spend any money on a PC upgrade

In keeping with Orbx's forum policies - I placed my thoughts on specs for MS2020 on AVSIM

Still in Alpha I know, and 3D objets still poppings everywhere in the videos...perhaps it still to much for our hardware.

and don't be too exited, most of the time there are showing us the best looking scenery and city. There are also ugly scenery as below screenshot from the video. It can't be perfect everywhere on the planet.

I still have hope that it will be the best sim ever.... but only after few years of maturity, so enjoy your ORBX sceneries.

2wlwblB.jpg

2 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

Still in Alpha I know

It's only in pre-alpha.

Maybe it will be too much for most current PC hardware at that detail level. However, at this stage of development, no action has been taken to optimise the sim.
It's all about getting as much content in and making it work as possible.

Highlight what you feel is missing, in order to have it included in future, yes. But to criticise the performance being shown at this moment in time is unhelpful and pointless.

I still have Orbx sceneries I want to purchase and will continue to do so until they start becoming available for MSFS.

This is a reality without a mask. The videos show it all. Now it's a little more refined. It is noticed that the ground level resolution is close to the real.
Microsoft will undoubtedly make a new simulator for the 20/30s. It has unending resources.
For now let's enjoy the beautiful work of Orbx.^_^

I use FSX Steam.  They're are advertising, in the sim, for People to help test so it looks like this will be very interesting and might work with the current sim as an update..  

In the meantime my Orbx prediction came true.  I predicted that Orbx was done with FSX products for the most part and I got a lot of denials from Orbx people  but I was right on.  This was several months ago.  I also said Africa and Asia would be vaporware and it looks like I was right with that also.  Too bad.

Hello Nick, can you please post how many FSX products were introduced this year compared to how many non-FSX products were introduced this year and then tell me again that my prediction was faulty? 

And how long ago was JV/s post that you just reposted?  Was that November of this year or  was that November of last year or November of the year before last or was that...……?

6 hours ago, magnetite said:

I have a fear that this new sim is going to make all our add-ons obsolete

They told something about a certain amount of backward-compatibility. So I hope the architecture of the upcoming sim is a little bit similar like the old ESP-platform and high fidelity addons like some airplanes of airports can get portated.

kai

On 11/16/2019 at 6:24 AM, Mikelab6 said:

Still in Alpha I know, and 3D objets still poppings everywhere in the videos...perhaps it still to much for our hardware.

and don't be too exited, most of the time there are showing us the best looking scenery and city. There are also ugly scenery as below screenshot from the video. It can't be perfect everywhere on the planet.

I still have hope that it will be the best sim ever.... but only after few years of maturity, so enjoy your ORBX sceneries.

2wlwblB.jpg

Mike, do you really think this scenery is ugly? I don't. I geuss that is in the eye of the beholder then.

6 hours ago, magnetite said:

I have a fear that this new sim is going to make all our add-ons obsolete.

21 minutes ago, KaiUweWeiss said:

They told something about a certain amount of backward-compatibility.

I agree with you both & with your concerns...

we’ve already seen enough of the fancy visuals & so on...

imo, now, the most important ’insider’ update will be about the collaboration with the 3rd party flight sim developers we all know - & SDK details!

7 hours ago, magnetite said:

I have a fear that this new sim is going to make all our add-ons obsolete. Kind of have been holding off on purchasing them.

I expect the contrary. MFS will have much more visibilty in the public, including via MS sites, ads, journals (online/paper),  printed books, TV, Youtubers, and so on, than present sims. The user numbers as well as the addon market might explode, and am sure there will be enough room for addons, after we have seen the less prominent areas of the sim. Of course addon makers will have to adapt to the new "gaps", but they will do. 

Kind regards, Michael

just for interests sake...

Fact: the absolute worst installation of any sim on my PC is XBox/Microsoft Forza 7 - great sim, but rotten installation technique (it sprays files haphazardly all over the place) - Steam does a far better job (still with room for improvement)...

& quick question,

can anyone inform me of a current XBox/Microsoft VR sim?

The fact that steam is looking for people to test leads me to believe that the current FSX steam will be upgraded and pretty much compatible.  Steam sells a lot of extras and imo will want to keep it all together.

8 hours ago, wolfko said:

Mike, do you really think this scenery is ugly? I don't. I geuss that is in the eye of the beholder then.

The left part of the scenery is very great, but not so great for the right part. I hope the blocky trees, houses and scenery will be fixed.

The sim looks very great and can't wait to fly in. My point was only to show that, not all locations will be as perfects then the ones we are looking at in those videos.

I don't know how many here have used Google Earth in VR, but those artefacts/blocky trees are how those kind of shapes are rendered by the AI that processes the 3D shapes. You see them all over if you go down to street level and I guess the new AI algorithms in FS20 will start to recognise where the trees are and adjust the image accordingly.

Flying around in Google Earth in VR at anything 500' or higher is more striking than any of the current flight sims in my opinion: the level of detail far exceeds the best of what last generation tech can achieve. The only thing missing is flight physics, which takes a lot less processing power than a lot of people think compared to the overall burden of presenting the environment and the graphical detail in current sims.

I can't see how FS20 will be anything other than a shot in the arm for flight sims because if the user base is broadened that puts more cash into the business and you can do better things. I can see that we will have the usual simX is more realistic than simY wars, just like iRacing vs Assetto Corsa vs rFactor vs Project CARS etc just because that's how the internet is. However if flight simming can be brought out of its current niche then many people and companies stand to benefit. In my opinion. There is clearly a lot of interest from more mainstream gamers and people who are interested in simulation gaming, so bring it on and welcome the renewed interest in our hobby.

this FSElite interview with MSFS key devs has helped put my mind at ease (& kindly sponsored by Orbx)...

https://fselite.net/video/microsoft-flight-simulator-developer-interview/

(sorry if this link has been previously posted)

the crucial message is that the MSFS 'powers that be' have already had talks with 3rd partly developers - i believe it was stated about 60 developers so far (out of a list of around 200) - phew!

so there is a bit of 'cat & mouse' at this juncture - & of course 'commercial in confidence' discussions - completely understandable...

to reiterate again - this is a moment of distinct uncertainty - & i will be holding off further purchases (apart from XP11 TrueEarth packages) until we, as the general flight sim public, are given some rock solid road-maps (that will directly affect our future $investments) - of course, imo...

4 hours ago, John Hargreaves said:

However if flight simming can be brought out of its current niche then many people and companies stand to benefit. In my opinion. There is clearly a lot of interest from more mainstream gamers and people who are interested in simulation gaming, so bring it on and welcome the renewed interest in our hobby.

completely agree with you, John - & also introducing many to their future RW aviation careers...

19 hours ago, KaiUweWeiss said:

They told something about a certain amount of backward-compatibility. So I hope the architecture of the upcoming sim is a little bit similar like the old ESP-platform and high fidelity addons like some airplanes of airports can get portated.

kai

I've heard it's based on FSX, but they've modified it.

Archived