Terrain Elevation Discrepancies | Landing Glitches | Orbx Addon Conflictions (KSFO)

Hello All,

I've recently narrowed this down to a confliction between my Orbx Products. 

Owned Orbx Products
  • Orbx Global base
  • Orbx Vectors
  • Orbx NA OpenLC
  • Orbx NorCAl

Orbx Store Order Numbers:  5cd2520b68335 | 5ccfa5ebcf56c

----
*****I do not have any other scenery products installed other than Orbx****

I'm sure this has happened to some of you with high mesh resolution settings. When a user flies over a runway with a "cliff" or sharp terrain changes on final, and at or slightly below the glide slope with a "heavy aircraft"; P3D will suck the aircraft in the ground.

Here are various examples of what happens to my aircraft when I fly over a sharp terrain change (1m Mesh Resolution) on final: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-plWAfAxsXY&feature=youtu.be&t=1808 (30:08) if the link does not take you there. Made by a different user having a similar problem.

More specifically, I first experienced it when on a KSFO RW28R final in the PMDG 747-8.  Here are some detailed pictures of problematic areas (from a different user in a P3D bug report thread).

izRVCpT.png

Things I've Tried
  • Vector Terrain Data Correction. KSFO is not listed.
  • Verified all Orbx scenery files.
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling Orbx Norcal
  • Disabling Orbx NorCal. This completely fixes the landing problem, but I'd want to ideally keep the scenery :) Plus this causes for grass to appear on the runways.
  • After I completely disabled Orbx NorCal, I re-enabled it to attempt to adjust the scenery load priority to have the "Mesh" component of NorCal be pushed all the way at the bottom. Although this fixed the grass on the runway, the elevation data confliction problem made a nasty reappearance.
  • After a little more digging I instead moved the "CVX" component of NorCal to all the way at the bottom, which then fixed the elevation confliction, however thus by doing so "sinking" the textures below/ontop of the runway causing a nasty flickering and splotchy grassy runway.

I am at a loss at to what to try next. Does anyone have a solution? It appears that buying FSG Pilot's mesh might be an expensive one... but am willing if I can get someone to confirm this as a fix.

Thanks!

There is a FreeMesh available--don't know the details, but several folks here use it and haven't had any issues.  At any rate, NorCal has its own mesh, so I can't say what might be the problem.  Also, it's not reasonable to suppose the four Orbx products you have mentioned are somehow in conflict with each other, so there is a conflict elsewhere, I would guess.

• Upvote 1

Hello,

I would suggest that you restore all your scenery library entries to their intended order and

then turn down your mesh resolution to the recommended 5m.

Your airport will then look as the Orbx developers intended and not like whatever version

of the airport that is in your borrowed screen shot.

5.jpg

• Upvote 1

@Doug Sawatzky @Nick Cooper

Hello All,

Thank you for your replies! I have followed all of your recommendations and created a video of the problem where I review my settings, library, and fly the approach. Attached you will find the scenery.cfg.

Turn down your volume!!

Thank You!

scenery.cfg

Add:  I saved the scenery settings via FTX Central and ran the migration tool, that's the config I ran in-game.

Edited by IncreaseVS

On 5/12/2019 at 8:46 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I would suggest that you restore all your scenery library entries to their intended order and

then turn down your mesh resolution to the recommended 5m.

Your airport will then look as the Orbx developers intended and not like whatever version

of the airport that is in your borrowed screen shot.

5.jpg

Hello,

It's been approximately 48 hours, is there a fix for this issue?

Thank You!

3 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi

Have you set your mesh resolution to 5m as Nick suggested above?

I am not able to replicate this, so I also doubt it is an Orbx product issue.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply! As shown in the video (00:20), I have copied the settings from Orbx's manual directly over to the video.

Also, have you tried using an aircraft larger than a 737 and follow the beam? I do not have any other products other than Orbx; this is all covered in the video.

Regards,

Edited by IncreaseVS

Hi

Have you set your mesh resolution to 5m as Nick suggested above?

I am not able to replicate this, so I also doubt it is an Orbx product issue.

Hello,

I believe this thread was wrongly marked as answered, this is still an issue.

Regards,

Hi

Yes, I had no issues with my PMDG 747 and P3Dv4.4....And I just happened to do a complete clean reinstall of v4.5 and installed the exact combination of products that you have and tested again with my PMDG 747, and no issues while flying the KSFO ILS 28R.

So maybe that is what you need to do, but I would start by doing a "Verify Files" from within FTXC3 of your Orbx products.

What was the fuel load on board the 747 ?  I had a similar experience early on in my simming career when I tried to land a 747 with way too much fuel on board.

Just a thought .... ignore at your pleasure.

Hi

Yes, I had no issues with my PMDG 747 and P3Dv4.4....And I just happened to do a complete clean reinstall of v4.5 and installed the exact combination of products that you have and tested again with my PMDG 747, and no issues while flying the KSFO ILS 28R.

So maybe that is what you need to do, but I would start by doing a "Verify Files" from within FTXC3 of your Orbx products.

Hello,

I just verified all my installed Orbx products and flew the approach, unfortunately, it still occurs. Since we have the same setup, could you share your Scenery Config? I'll load it up and see what it happens. I'd hate to scrub my computer of P3D and reinstall it. 

3 hours ago, tom said:

What was the fuel load on board the 747 ?  I had a similar experience early on in my simming career when I tried to land a 747 with way too much fuel on board.

Just a thought .... ignore at your pleasure.

Hello,

The plane I flew in the video had 5000KG of fuel and 0 weight. Landing speed was 121-K :)

Regards,

8 hours ago, IncreaseVS said:

Since we have the same setup, could you share your Scenery Config? I'll load it up and see what it happens. I'd hate to scrub my computer of P3D and reinstall it. 

Sorry, after the testing for this I carried on and installed many more items, so my scenery.cfg will do you no good.

If I were you I would delete the entire C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 folder and restart the sim, it will then rebuild the folder giving you a new scenery and terrain.cfg. Then shut down the sim, open FTXC3 for a few moments to allow it to add and activate your Orbx products and retry.

7 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Sorry, after the testing for this I carried on and installed many more items, so my scenery.cfg will do you no good.

If I were you I would delete the entire C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 folder and restart the sim, it will then rebuild the folder giving you a new scenery and terrain.cfg. Then shut down the sim, open FTXC3 for a few moments to allow it to add and activate your Orbx products and retry.

Hello,

Unfortunately, I just did so and flew the approach to no avail. Any other trouble shooting steps I can try?

Regards,

17 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Just for laughs, maybe try the touchdown speed at 140-150kts.

Haha, wilco! I'll make a video for comedy. 

Perhaps I'll do a nose down pitch and my V2 speed for approach!!! :) I'll put out the speed-brakes on short final, make sure auto-throttle is screwing around at 80% N1 and I'll know I'm doing it right if I have the master caution going off. Touch the nose wheel to unlock the reversers and do a reverse flare while I'm at it!

Video incoming... 

1 hour ago, IncreaseVS said:

Haha, wilco! I'll make a video for comedy. 

Perhaps I'll do a nose down pitch and my V2 speed for approach!!! :) I'll put out the speed-brakes on short final, make sure auto-throttle is screwing around at 80% N1 and I'll know I'm doing it right if I have the master caution going off. Touch the nose wheel to unlock the reversers and do a reverse flare while I'm at it!

Video incoming... 

1 hour ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Just for laughs, maybe try the touchdown speed at 140-150kts.

Hello,

Here is the video:

The first portion of the video documents is aligned with the Orbx manual's settings and was performed after deleting the Programs Data P3D file. As expected, the plane was sucked into the ground and did a wheelie due to the higher landing speed. I should have done a flaps 5-10 landing for "legitimate" purposes, but none the less, it was for comedy.

The second portion of the video documents the terrain mesh resolution set to 19M, disobeying the Orbx manual, creating a seawall that is not as sharp; thus the landing issue not occurring. However, this sacrifices a major portion of the Orbx Norcal add-on, the terrain data, to fix this issue. In my opinion, I do not consider this a fix, but more as a compromise.

I am curious to why your 747 did not get sucked into the ground when you tested it, was your sea-wall akin to my second test with 19M terrain resolution? Were you using a Beta NorCal? 

Regards,

Do you have any AI traffic addons?

Now that you mention it, my seawall set at 5m looks like yours at 19m.

Negative on the beta norcal, mine is the same as everyone else's.

Here are a couple shots of me hand flying my ifly 747, Its easier for me to do quick tests with than my PMDG 747.

KSFO.PNG

KSFO 1.PNG

5 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Do you have any AI traffic addons?

Now that you mention it, my seawall set at 5m looks like yours at 19m.

Negative on the beta norcal, mine is the same as everyone else's.

Here are a couple shots of me hand flying my ifly 747, Its easier for me to do quick tests with than my PMDG 747.

KSFO.PNG

KSFO 1.PNG

Hello,

Yes, your seawall looks appropriate to the actual terrain even when set to 5 meters. I do not have any AI-Traffic Add-ons. Thank you for testing it! Here is my complete add-on list:

• EnvTex
  • EnvShade
  • ASP4
  • ASCA
  • EnvForce by Rex
  • PMDG 747
  • Chaseplane
  • FSUIPC
  • Orbx Products (Base, Vector, lc NA, NorCal

Regards,

Edited by IncreaseVS

Sorry, I have no experience with any of the Env products, but something is clearly affecting the mesh, I can see the invisible remnants around the seawall starting at 4:42 of your with 19m video.

Might be worth disabling them as well as Chaseplane, for a test..

37 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Sorry, I have no experience with any of the Env products, but something is clearly affecting the mesh, I can see the invisible remnants around the seawall starting at 4:42 of your with 19m video.

Hello Mr. Sawatzky,

Here is a video with NorCal disabled. Thus my original theory of Orbx NorCal being the confliction... No issues.

Apologies (This video is not with chaseplane disabled) only after I made it, I refreshed the page and saw your comment!

As stated in the video, these are the settings as compliant with Orbx Open LC NA. With 5 meter terrain resolution and Orbx NorCal disabled. I do not have the landing issue. Is the grass issue a marker for perhaps the real issue? 

Thank You,

Regards

Edited by IncreaseVS

I have the same grass on the runway issue when I disable my norcal so that has nothing to do with anything, but I do not have the same water waves going vertical as you.

If you feel that norcal is the issue then maybe do a full uninstall and reinstall of it. I think it is a P3D issue.

Also, please do a search in your entire sim folder for "KSFO.bgl" and post the results

4 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

I have the same grass on the runway issue when I disable my norcal so that has nothing to do with anything, but I do not have the same water waves going vertical as you.

If you feel that norcal is the issue then maybe do a full uninstall and reinstall of it. I think it is a P3D issue.

Also, please do a search in your entire sim folder for "KSFO.bgl" and post the results

Hello, 

Here are all the associated "KSFO.bgl" files. I'll go ahead and do the full uninstall and reinstall in the mean time.

Thank You,

Regards

ABP_KSFO.bgl FTX_NCA_objects_KSFO_PLC.bgl ADEX_FTX_NCA_KSFO_San_Francisco_Intl.BGL ADEX_FTX_NCA_KSFO_San_Francisco_Intl_CVX.bgl ADE_FTX_NCA_KSFO_elevation_adjustment.BGL

1 hour ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hello,

I'll spare you the video. I just finished the fresh uninstall/reinstall of Orb-X NorCal with the manual compliant settings. It's the same issue, PMDG 747 sucked into the ground on final on the beam.

Now, if you fly the approach with 1/4 PAPIs, you won't get sucked into the ground.

I'll try disabling the BGL file for KSFO which has "elevation adjustment in it" and let you know. 

Disabling Elevation Correction BGL file for KSFO had no effect

Regards

---

Recap

• Running the game at 19M terrain resolution with Base, Vector, Open LC NA, and NorCal enabled will prevent the runway issue. In my opinion, I do not consider this a fix, rather a compromise. As a result surrounding elevation data will be less accurate than proposed in the Orbx Norcal Manual.
  • Disabling Orbx NorCal. This fixes the elevation glitch entirely. Grass on runway/no NorCal. 

Have Tried:

• Uninstall/Reinstall Orbx NorCal, no effect.
  • Verify all Orbx addon files, no effect.
  • Delete P3D ProgramData folder, no effect. 

---

Awaiting further trouble shooting...

Edited by IncreaseVS

Hi, Im the user mentioned by @IncreaseVS on the initial post.

And for clarification: The video and screenshot I made (and @IncreaseVS used here) were taken without any ORBX product installed since at the time I did not own any yet.

The vertical wave thing is (for me at least) caused when the "Water Detail" slider is at High or Ultra (I cant remember) but I used to have them at airports like TNCM aswell so I believe this isnt ORBX related. (I have my slider at Medium and they dont appear).

I havent experienced the grass on runway thing so idk about that but the "slam to ground" effect during flare seems to be a p3d native bug that happens to larger aircraft (I have only experienced it on the pmdg 777/747 and qualitywings 787) that approach sharp terrain edges (hence why its "fixed" with a texture res of >19m).

On a forum thread I created half a year ago and that is still ongoing (http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6314&t=131079&e=1&view=unread#unread) @IncreaseVS submitted the following observations:

- default sim + large aircraft = slam bug
- orbx global + vector + NA OpenLC + large aircraft = flawless
- orbx global + vector + NA OpenLC + large aircraft + NORCAL = slam bug

In his words "Perhaps one of the Orbx products fixes it, it just so happens that NorCal over-rides it back to default when enabled. " Could this be a thing?

Please bare in mind that on my end at least this bug has plagued me for a year now and in the meantime I have changed PCs, wiped hard drives etc etc.. and the bug still follows me so I very much doubt its due to a simply remnant AFCAD file lying around somewhere or something simple like that.

Regards,
Tristan

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Tristan

Like I say, I have not been able to replicate this issue, and this is the first I have ever heard of it. If it was an Orbx only product issue I am sure we would have had many support posts about it by now ...

I am completely out of ideas and suggestions at this time.

14 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Thanks Tristan

Like I say, I have not been able to replicate this issue, and this is the first I have ever heard of it. If it was an Orbx only product issue I am sure we would have had many support posts about it by now ...

I am completely out of ideas and suggestions at this time.

Thanks for trying to troubleshoot with me...

Perhaps an we could ask an Orbx developer with knowledge of how elevation data works to chime in? I am confused beyond my means with this issue.

If I disable Orbx NorCal, is there a way you know off the top of your head to fix the grass on the runway?

Regards,

Edited by IncreaseVS

Hi guys,

very weird, I've never seen a report of this before. The thing is that landscape components, like mesh or flattens, are passive meaning they can't reach up and grab an airplane out of the sky. Thus, I'd think that it must have something to do with the coding of the aircraft, in particular what ground data it reads (and when) while close to the ground. As far as I know a lot of the flight modelling with these complex aircraft is computed externally and thus they (intentionally) behave differently from aircraft relying on the default flight model.

Have you shown the video to the respective developers? Maybe they can elaborate how their aircraft determine their position in the final moments prior to touchdown and how a sudden change in ground elevation can confuse the aircraft's flight model; perhaps something related to computing ground effect? (i.e., in this case the effective height of the air column underneath the aircraft suddenly decreases by 12ft, which could make a big difference in the calculations).

The default altitude for KSFO is 13ft (3.96m). With NCA we change this to 3.69m = 12.1ft, not because we wanted to but because, for whatever reason, Flightbeam's KSFO team had done so and many NCA customers wanted the two products to be compatible. However, the difference is less than a foot, much less than the drop experienced by your plane, so I don't think this really is a factor. Moreover, Tristan has stated that the issue occurs with both default scenery and NCA meaning default and altered airport elevation.

Given that reducing the mesh resolution setting makes a difference it seems to me that the critical factor is the slope of the step, which is controlled by the adjacent flattens (ocean water and airport ground, respectively) and the spacing of mesh points as set by the mesh resolution slider. Does the issue still occur if just the NCA mesh entry is deactivated? If not perhaps the successful test with just Global Vector also was without an added terrain mesh file (the default mesh is coarser meaning less steep slopes).

Either way, unless we know what actually triggers the change in the aircraft's flight model it wouldn't make much sense to attempt to make any adjustment to NCA files.   

If I disable Orbx NorCal, is there a way you know off the top of your head to fix the grass on the runway?

You'll also need to deactivate ADE_FTX_NCA_KSFO_elevation_adjustment.BGL in scenery\world\scenery as it enforces the NCA elevation change.

Cheers, Holger

• Thanks 3

HI

I was about to mention about the plane

This happened to me today in Queenstown NZ,  I said Gosh what did I hit? I though it could be an invisible elevation or so I crashed into but now seeing this video I realized it was exactly yhe same. All settings as recommended.

All the test above were made with PMDG 747 and I was flying a PMDG too but the  777 when this happened. So Holger could be right in saying " I'd think that it must have something to do with the coding of the aircraft "

This never happened to me before in Queenstown with PMDG, so I think PMDG could need an update to 4.5.  Are you running the 4.5 too?

I do have an awful elevation at the end of SFO but I do have Flightbeam and according to them can't not be fixed:

OcA2rfZ.jpg

Hope this helps

I'm testing right now Queenstown with another plane and again with PMDG

I'll revert with the results

Cheers

Carlos

• Thanks 1

• Doug Sawatzky changed the title to Terrain Elevation Discrepancies | Landing Glitches | Orbx Addon Conflictions (KSFO)

Hi

I tested Queenstown again with a 727 and when about to land it was sucked down yet, so it is not PMDG I guess. Could there be yet issues with LM?

Is like if the terrain was higher than what it looks, so the plane suddenly "feels it" and "falls" on the ground. I actually saw a lot of houses floating in all this area:

n4nTrCi.jpg

I only use Holgermesh for this area as per Nick's recommendation to solve issues in NZ when I was using the free mesh. I'd like to uninstall and reinstall Queenstown just to discard.

I also tested KSFO with the same 727 but in this case I didn't suffer the suck down. Not sure is Flightbeam scenery affects the result.

I hope this is useful somehow and can be explained.

Cheers

Carlos

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi guys,

very weird, I've never seen a report of this before. The thing is that landscape components, like mesh or flattens, are passive meaning they can't reach up and grab an airplane out of the sky. Thus, I'd think that it must have something to do with the coding of the aircraft, in particular what ground data it reads (and when) while close to the ground. As far as I know a lot of the flight modelling with these complex aircraft is computed externally and thus they (intentionally) behave differently from aircraft relying on the default flight model.

Have you shown the video to the respective developers? Maybe they can elaborate how their aircraft determine their position in the final moments prior to touchdown and how a sudden change in ground elevation can confuse the aircraft's flight model; perhaps something related to computing ground effect? (i.e., in this case the effective height of the air column underneath the aircraft suddenly decreases by 12ft, which could make a big difference in the calculations).

The default altitude for KSFO is 13ft (3.96m). With NCA we change this to 3.69m = 12.1ft, not because we wanted to but because, for whatever reason, Flightbeam's KSFO team had done so and many NCA customers wanted the two products to be compatible. However, the difference is less than a foot, much less than the drop experienced by your plane, so I don't think this really is a factor. Moreover, Tristan has stated that the issue occurs with both default scenery and NCA meaning default and altered airport elevation.

Given that reducing the mesh resolution setting makes a difference it seems to me that the critical factor is the slope of the step, which is controlled by the adjacent flattens (ocean water and airport ground, respectively) and the spacing of mesh points as set by the mesh resolution slider. Does the issue still occur if just the NCA mesh entry is deactivated? If not perhaps the successful test with just Global Vector also was without an added terrain mesh file (the default mesh is coarser meaning less steep slopes).

Either way, unless we know what actually triggers the change in the aircraft's flight model it wouldn't make much sense to attempt to make any adjustment to NCA files.   

You'll also need to deactivate ADE_FTX_NCA_KSFO_elevation_adjustment.BGL in scenery\world\scenery as it enforces the NCA elevation change.

Cheers, Holger

Hello Mr. Sandmann,

I wanted to thank you for you explanation of how different terrain components work together. I believe this is the furthest the P3D community has gotten to solving this issue; or at the very least providing an explanation to its occurrence.

I'll spare you the video but I just flew the KSFO 28R approach with the, same products, Orbx Manual settings and solely having disabled FTX NCA mesh; the same issue occurs. 

---

14 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

Hi

I tested Queenstown again with a 727 and when about to land it was sucked down yet, so it is not PMDG I guess. Could there be yet issues with LM?

Is like if the terrain was higher than what it looks, so the plane suddenly "feels it" and "falls" on the ground. I actually saw a lot of houses floating in all this area:

n4nTrCi.jpg

I only use Holgermesh for this area as per Nick's recommendation to solve issues in NZ when I was using the free mesh. I'd like to uninstall and reinstall Queenstown just to discard.

I also tested KSFO with the same 727 but in this case I didn't suffer the suck down. Not sure is Flightbeam scenery affects the result.

I hope this is useful somehow and can be explained.

Cheers

Carlos

Thanks, everything helps when solving this issue... That is so weird! Just like even though I have a cliff at 5M terrain mesh at KSFO but the glitch doesn't happen when NorCal is disabled....

---

TO ALL: Here is a PMDG thread soliciting a similar developer type response in-regards to custom flight models in general and how they work.

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/pmdg-747-queen-of-the-skies-ii-forum/12208-flight-model-question-glitch-on-landing

Please comment :) Many of us are dying to get to the bottom of this occurrence. 

---

Thank You!!

Edited by IncreaseVS

You're welcome Eric

I admire your patience (so many videos -doing-uploading etc and texting) and persistence (contacting all means to try to get this solved)

I wish this can be successfully solved

Very best

Carlos

• Thanks 1

Wow we have done more progress here in 24h on this bug than in 6 months on the p3d forum where the staff seems to be ignoring the thread completely... So thumbs up for ORBX.

Anywho, this is something I mentioned already on the other thread but not here which might be relevant:

When initially troubleshooting this bug months ago I found forum threads describing this exact issue dating back to 2011 (!) So it seems to me that this is an issue at the core of the p3d/fsx engine. 

I'd also like to add that the Flightbeam scenery is no factor with this bug. for me the bug appears with both default and Fligthbeam installed.

EDIT: Here is the earliest thread I could find made in 2011 https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/355803-747x-slams-to-ground-short-final/

Edited by TheFl4me

4 hours ago, TheFl4me said:

Wow we have done more progress here in 24h on this bug than in 6 months on the p3d forum where the staff seems to be ignoring the thread completely... So thumbs up for ORBX.

Several staff members have contributed valuable information to this thread:    Nick Cooper, Doug Sawatzky, Holger Sandmann.

54 minutes ago, Doc_Z said:

Several staff members have contributed valuable information to this thread:    Nick Cooper, Doug Sawatzky, Holger Sandmann.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I was talking about the thread on the P3d forum, not this one. The staff here on orbx have been very helpful compared to the LM staff,

10 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

I don't think I recommended "Holgermesh", which is for Australia.

The New Zealand product has its own mesh and does not need another mesh at all.

Hi Nick

I realized I didn't explain this well.

I had a problem in a lake in New Zealand and you recommended me to disable my free mesh and use only Holgermesh

BUT my free mesh covers Oceania, (5-FreeMeshX - Australia and Oceania) so disabling it to fix NZ will alter Australia

I will enable it and will test Queenstown, this could be the issue in my case then

I'll report back

Thanks

Carlos

13 hours ago, IncreaseVS said:

Thanks, everything helps when solving this issue... That is so weird! Just like even though I have a cliff at 5M terrain mesh at KSFO but the glitch doesn't happen when NorCal is disabled....

Hi

As you, Flightbeam refers to NorCal too

3uVyEkZ.jpg

Maybe this has something to deal with the issue?..

Might worth checking

Cheers

carlos