Damyns Hall & The River Thames...

Mark Abdey

An exploration of Damyns Hall Aerodrome in XP11 before setting off and heading east (well, south first..) following the Thames to it's meeting with the North Sea.

They have great holiday accommodation here.

tsz9Ll6.jpg

Impeccable detail... My son was playing farming simulator on the PS4 while I was doing this and this looks better.

wEE7eWN.jpg

SJ8bzOo.jpg

L7VUgeJ.jpg

Miwz9Iw.jpg

bU43YMj.jpg

An amazing sense of 'being there'

TLAw6Wq.jpg

5pdTr3d.jpg

Time to fly.

XCiUJvC.jpg

Nice overview of this charming aerodrome.

Ih9zFrO.jpg

5j5bOHh.jpg

London in the distance, but we're not going that way.

dF3Pbf5.jpg

Upminster.

3A7QpdP.jpg

This final stretch of the river is far from pretty, with vast swaths of industry, but it is interesting... QEII Bridge.

W1FRaG6.jpg

VL1JmZF.jpg

Tilbury Docks.

8DxdAZb.jpg

Getting into something greener and less built-up.

GJ8JTQz.jpg

Marshland that was clearly in heavy use for something historically... something to look up.

P0AgXUL.jpg

Reaching the end, with the North Sea in the distance.

jqVRFqd.jpg

All taken in XP11.33r2 - using XVision 121 with my most recent preset.

Thank you for looking.

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Dang it Orbx.  It tells me I don't have permission to view these and this has been happening since day 1.  :banghead::banghead::banghead:>:(:angry:

Drop a PM to Nick and see if he can sort this for you Jack... If not I can email them.

8 minutes ago, Mark Halliwell said:

More great shots Mark. :)

I reckoned those features with raised banks in the penultimate shot looked like military constructions, and sure enough...

http://www.cliffehistory.co.uk/the_explosives_works.html

That's great, thanks Mark!.... I had a feeling that is what this site would turn out to be, having seen these sort of ruined structures before.  Fascinating stuff, and something only flying over TE can reveal... So, flight simming is educational as well :lol:

8 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Amazing shots!!!!!!!!!!  I have never seen such fantastic ground shots!!!!!!!!!  Almost makes me want to buy a new computer so I can run XP11 and TE GB.

Check his signature John - nothing super heavy duty there.  It's tricks of the trade methinks.

19 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Grand shots Mark.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain :)

17 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Amazing shots!!!!!!!!!!  I have never seen such fantastic ground shots!!!!!!!!!  Almost makes me want to buy a new computer so I can run XP11 and TE GB.

Thank you... Indeed the detail is always something to admire.  Not sure of your PC specs, but have you tried the XP with TE demo?

14 hours ago, jankees said:

Very very nice shots!

Thank you sir! :)

14 hours ago, cyberpilot said:

Fantastic shots Mark.

I have downloaded your new preset but forgive my ignorance - what is lua and how do I install it?

Hi and thanks... You need the FlyWithLua plug-in from here, if you don't have it already...  https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/38445-flywithlua-ng-next-generation-edition-for-x-plane-11-win-lin-mac/

The 'Shadows' lua script I use then goes into... X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\FlyWithLua\Scripts

14 hours ago, MilesHighFlyer said:

The only thing better than this would be the real deal! Nice shots there.

Yep... as it's a long way from here I'll make do ^-^

10 hours ago, BradB said:

Fantastic shots Mark !! .

Cheers

John

Thank you very much John.

9 hours ago, musterpilot said:

Fantastic shots

John

Thank you John :)

8 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Check his signature John - nothing super heavy duty there.  It's tricks of the trade methinks.

By current standard its a weakling... But XP it very well optimised, so no tricks needed, it's just a case of using the right settings for my PC. I don't ramp any settings for the pictures either.

8 hours ago, olderndirt said:

I was at Damyn's Hall recently - looks like they spruced up for your visit.  Excellent stuff.

I thought I could smell fresh paint ^-^  So, it's even more scruffy in real life then?... all part of it's charm I guess.

6 hours ago, adambar said:

What a great looking set of shots Mark, well done! :)

Thank you Adam.

2 hours ago, John Mac said:

I felt I was there!!!

Wonderful shots.

John.

Cheers John :)

2 hours ago, Capt Pugwash said:

Great shots and wonderful to find items of historical interest whilst flying along in such a detailed simulator...:)

Thanks Capt... it really is interesting to see things and wonder 'what is that'?.. as long as you can find an answer that is. ^-^

6 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

Great detail Mark, I love walking around soaking up all the character, super flight shots as well.

Thanks very much Ken.  :)

34 minutes ago, wain71 said:

superb set of shots....

Cheers Wain. :)

Just now, European Mountain Man said:

Wow Mark you shots are getting better  and better some look like photos you shots are fantastic what do you use with your preset regards EMM 

Thank you for the nice comment EMM :)

• 4 months later...

Visited Damyns Hall today.

From the simulator I was expecting the white runway edge markers to be 3D cones but in fact they're just flat inserts which you can't see easily from the air. Also there's two new hangars which are not in the model.

Overall of course the simulator model is fantastic, especially the vegetation.

P9180131.JPG

P9180136.JPG

Came to look at this thinking we hadn't seen you for a while @Mark Abdey and then noticed the date. I must have missed these first time round but I gotta say (belatedly) that these are totally stunning. Whatever you're up to these days, I hope it's good stuff that's keeping you from here, rather than bad things.

Come back and post more!

Archived