TEGB South P3Dv4.4 - settings for smooth performance at 4K

Hello all,

Here are what my settings look like for smooth 4K (3840x2160 resolution) performance over central London in both a simple aircraft (Trike) and a complex GA aircraft (DA62, Glass Cockpit). 

I am getting 30-45fps depending on aircraft and view, but it rarely goes below 30.

I have zero prepar3d.cfg tweaks. Not one.

There is no rocket science being used here, I'm just being sensible with sliders. I've saved it to a "LONDON - GA" profile for quick recall. My PC Specs are in my signature. I am using PTA and also REX Soft Clouds (but a 512x512 resolution clouds set, importantly!)

Note I am not using High Resolution Terrain Textures - without any penalty to visuals.

For weather I am using the "Fair Weather" theme but with visibility set to 30 miles to match the autogen LOD and cloud coverage distance.

UPDATE: Some people report even better performance with my settings if they lock fps to 20 or 30, so also try setting Target Frame Rate to 60, 30 or 20, depending on your PC spec or monitor's frequency.

Tip: Use TreesHD if you don't have them yet. They offer improved visuals and are much better on fps than the P3D Dynamic 3D Autogen trees.

Having said that, the TEGB South P3D dev team will be releasing a patch next week with a control panel to allow scenery tuning, much like we have for TE Netherlands P3D.

image.png

** Optionally, also try setting Target Frame Rate to 60, 30 or 20, depending on your PC spec or monitor's frequency.

image.png

** Important! Do NOT enable [ ] Use high-resolution terrain textures or [ ] Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation - both are FPS killers.

image.png

** Note: experiment with building shadows (cast only) on/off. On my PC with a high end GPU it does not make a lot of difference. YMMV.

image.png

** There is no point drawing clouds further than your LOD or autogen scenery distance. Keep it at 60 miles or less and reduce the vis to 40 miles in the weather. This save a lot of processing time.

Here is the result (Click to view original 4K shots) - these are straight V-key grabs:

2019-2-11_13-10-54-168.jpg

2019-2-11_13-15-31-546.jpg

2019-2-11_13-15-11-450.jpg

2019-2-11_13-13-4-892.jpg

2019-2-11_13-12-31-381.jpg

Loading time?  2 minutes! (which includes the 6% bug that LM seems to be fixing in v4.5). Here's a video of the loading time:

Without the 6% bug, loading time would be about 19 seconds ... bring on P3Dv4.5!!!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks great John, it will be a fantastic product. Thanks for listening and fixing the complexity slider.

Can you now do a video where you fly about over London, do you get no stutters? 

Sat on a runway with your exact settings I get over 60fps. Takeoff and you can see the result below. I have no other airports, shaders, tweaks, addons, weather running here.

Also I just timed it on my machine and it took 5mins, something weird there. Perhaps FTX England is loaded too?

Take my word for it, I have no stutters.  I have FTX England and Wales installed, as well as CityScene Barcelona and Orlando, and all the FTX Global products. Loading time is not impacted, regardless of my scenery library contents.

Why would you do such tight manoeuvres over central London anyway? My usual route is EGLC runway 27 takeoff then straight past the O2 and Canary Wharf and then follow the Thames on my left followed by a long slow arc to my heading once I get to about 2500-3000ft.

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

Take my word for it, I have no stutters.  

That's a strange response. 

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

Why would you do such tight manoeuvres over central London anyway

The tight turn is to demonstrate the problem, but I could equally have done a circuit at EGLC but I couldnt record with my phone and fly! 

Anyway I don't want to argue, if you are totally happy with everything then great, with a faster machine (I9-9900K / 2080TI) I get stuttering in straight flight and normal turns or even panning about the cockpit around London. 

The detail in the product especially London is amazing so once the complexity control panel is released (should really be part of SPARSE/NORMAL/DENSE/EXTREMELY DENSE settings) I will be using this a lot, I might even be able to bring in RECEIVE Shadows, some AI planes and good old English weather!

Might I suggest you attach these 'optimal settings' (which do make it much better) to the product somewhere so we don't have to spend days getting it working well.

Thanks

Great tips there, I’ve gone with this but got bad stutters so locked the FPS at 30 and gave me a remarkably smooth flight and improved performance, did a flight from Birmingham to East Midlands and wasn’t too bad, I had a small spell with blurries which caught up which is the only frustration and the odd FPS dip to 12-13 for a second or two (assume that’s it loading the scenery?)

I get five or six minutes to load the scenery but can live with that.

out of interest what setting improves the road details? Close to the ground they look messy but are nice enough at 3000 feet, when coming in to land it’s not crisp? 

Sorry John don't work for me londons lovely if I increase LOD and autogen radius and set complexity to sparse other  then no aircraft hangers very little difference visually . Flying a DA 62 like you same settings and I am in trouble stuttering badly over London . Posted my good settings on another forum  thread. I7 4670k and RTX 2080. Something very strange going on. 2 days fault finding no days flying.

I have a less powerful pc than JV's  specs. But since using all his settings I am achieving an average of 25 FPS over London. This is virtually the same as I get in Xplane TE South.

Over the more rural areas I am getting in excess of 45 FPS. I am also using REX Soft Clouds. The sim is pretty well stutter free too.Not quite as good as Xplane but better than the old days of FSX.

Basically my specs are 

Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Intel Core i5 7400 @3.00 Ghz with turbo boost up to 3.5 Ghz

16 GB ram

GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

I was pleasantly surprised after all the negative feedback I have read. 

Try JV's settings.

20 hours ago, Delly said:

The detail in the product especially London is amazing so once the complexity control panel is released (should really be part of SPARSE/NORMAL/DENSE/EXTREMELY DENSE settings) I will be using this a lot, I might even be able to bring in RECEIVE Shadows, some AI planes and good old English weather!

Might I suggest you attach these 'optimal settings' (which do make it much better) to the product somewhere so we don't have to spend days getting it working well.

Thanks

You don't understand the product architecture, so please don't make assumptions about the use of sliders.

TE uses custom 3D building models which are generated to a large extent automatically from source data by an in-house toolset. In many cases large parts of a city are a single model. To link this model to autogen or scenery density sliders would be folly, since it would be an all or nothing choice. This is why when you use the scenery sliders many 3D models persist.

Additionally we have added hundreds of bespoke 3D POI models, and many of these are in central London.

The buildings were generated by a different toolset which was not used for TE Netherlands, so you cannot make comparisons to that region. It also explains why we released Netherlands with a control panel on day one, because it is different architecture.

To address the lack of scalability with these large blocks or 3D models, we are currently working on a comprehensive control panel option to tune the number of 3D objects and other aspects of the region. This will be published within a week or so.

Thank you Thank you Thank you Big John, 

Your settings solved my Issue.  I think many of us are "Slider Happy" expecting to use setting we would normally use in non Orbx TE scenery to work in TrueEarth:o  2019-2-10-18-40-45-462.jpg

2019-2-12-6-44-56-257.jpg

1 hour ago, FireRx said:

Thank you Thank you Thank you Big John, 

Your settings solved my Issue.  I think many of us are "Slider Happy" expecting to use setting we would normally use in non Orbx TE scenery to work in TrueEarth:o  2019-2-10-18-40-45-462.jpg

2019-2-12-6-44-56-257.jpg

If it had been optimized with a control panel ( will be released ) then you could.

Otherwise you fly over a TE region with lots to see and then entering a non TE region which would look “empty” because of low sliders..

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

If it had been optimized with a control panel ( will be released ) then you could.

Otherwise you fly over a TE region with lots to see and then entering a non TE region which would look “empty” because of low sliders..

The 'Scenery Complexity' slider is used by many other developers to control the display of objects at their sceneries, such as jetways or terminal buildings.
I hope the solution to TE GB performance does not involve moving this slider to the left, but is instead like TE NL, entirely configurable through a control panel in FTX Central.

With a control panel + suggested settings it all will be much better.

Keep in mind that the TE series are made with Low and Slow in mind. If people want to fly over it with a jet at 250+ kias then you might experience issues ....

Guest dellycowboy
4 hours ago, John Venema said:

You don't understand the product architecture, so please don't make assumptions about the use of sliders.

No need to be rude John. Ive spent days beta testing this unfinished work for free and was the first to report the density sliders only have 2 settings. 

My assumption was "the scenery density slider should change density of scenery" like most other products Ive ever used.

Apologies for not realising that ORBX decided to only have 2 London scenery objects!!

Why not explain this 2 days ago?

4 hours ago, John Venema said:

To link this model to autogen or scenery density sliders would be folly, since it would be an all or nothing choice. This is why when you use the scenery sliders many 3D models persist.

It is linked and its pretty much all or nothing now, this is how its implemented!

SPARSE = central london POI

ALL OTHER SLIDERS =all other buildings

How about split these 2 models of London into 6 models of London so the sliders work?

Ok maybe there are good reasons, lets hear the experts rationale instead of "you dont know the archicture"?

A little bit of contrition would be great, ORBX started out telling me it was my sliders (but now we know the architecture doesnt use the sliders!?) and the classic my windows 10 is not optimised. Haha

Now youve changed to "ok we will fx this next week".

Anyway, glad the community helped get to the bottom of this and we now understand why this XP port hasnt quite worked, its the 2 model London architecture.

Please could all future TE sceneries come with a control panel on release day or better still be split into 6 models.

Cheers

Guest dellycowboy
39 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Keep in mind that the TE series are made with Low and Slow in mind. If people want to fly over it with a jet at 250+ kias then you might experience issues ....

Please stop confusing the topic with this point. This happens ina Cessna at 90knts on the fastest machine money can buy.

Well, I tried Johns settings above (albeit with dense, not extremely dense and not 4K) and works great for me locked to 30fps I have an I7700K clocked at 5GHz, 32G DDR4, GTX1080 and drives are SSD. Flying from London city over towards Gatwick at 1500 ft then back again is certainly flyable. Not completely without stutters, but they don't impact much at all. I'm using a Cessna 172. 

Not perfect, but with FSX/P3D life never is, but still a great experience. The amount of scenery is staggering.

Steve

Can I respectfully say that those reading this topic with a view to buying TEGB  should be reassured that clearly many people are finding no problems and simply enjoying this great scenery.

It does appear that some (a few?) like me are trying with the brilliant support of Orbx staff and fellow contributors to iron out what may be local issues with our PC's, or some niggle that is preventing us getting the same experience as others.

I'm sure this will resolve soon, and John has already committed to releasing a means of configuring settings shortly, which is a great help, and shows he is listening. I know nothing about coding or the innards of this thing, but it does seem that there is a new 'architecture' for this product, unlike NL or TEGB for XP, so I for one am willing to cut a bit of slack here.

It's not easy to face the exposure like Orbx do in these forums and we are a pretty demanding lot - we ask for more then grizzle that it pushes our rigs!

Having said that, John, I'd love to buzz Big Ben and Buck Palace, so keep at it!

2 hours ago, dellycowboy said:

No need to be rude John. Ive spent days beta testing this unfinished work for free and was the first to report the density sliders only have 2 settings. 

Will all due respect; you sir, are coming across as the rude one -  and being quite abrasive in your approach. Perhaps give the forums a break until we release the control panel.

Meantime, I appreciate those in this topic who are posting back about their positive experiences with the slider settings I suggested. Thanks.

54 minutes ago, flying_fish said:

Can I respectfully say that those reading this topic with a view to buying TEGB  should be reassured that clearly many people are finding no problems and simply enjoying this great scenery.

You are absolutely correct Andy. The number of people posting about performance issues is very small compared to the number of people who bought TE GB South and are just using it. Only a tiny percentage of people who buy our products post on forums at all, and rarely not when everything is working well for them; they are mostly just enjoying the scenery.

Sorry John there is an issue with this software release check my account long time supporter and invested a lot of money with your company . I have tried your setting and not impressed . Last post on here will wait  for the patch  and see if something improves . Just brought  £ 800 of graphics card 2 months ago  rtx 2080 and a 500gb ssd on its way arriveing just so I can get the two remaining parts of the UK and yes TE south is on an SSD  .The balls in your court now for continued purchases . I am not slider happy I know how to balance and I know when something is wrong. Agree don't expect everything to work day 1 of release .

My purchase of Xplane is reinstalling as I speak  I may consider asking for a refund so I can purchase it for that system but really want to get this working . Happy to work with you please don't suggest though that it is a small minority of customers who expect too much and too thick to work what sliders do. Been in this game too long to fall for that one.

Guest dellycowboy
2 hours ago, John Venema said:

Will all due respect; you sir, are coming across as the rude one -  and being quite abrasive in your approach. Perhaps give the forums a break until we release the control panel.

Meantime, I appreciate those in this topic who are posting back about their positive experiences with the slider settings I suggested. Thanks.

Sorry but how have I been rude?

I said this was a fantastic product and wondered whether you could share a video of your stutter free flying over London because I was geuninely trying to figure out why me and so many others are having trouble.

Even when you told me it was my windows 10 setup and I was just slider happy I was respectful and tried for hours to help identify the problems for you and the community, each time you talk down to me and other users as if we are an idiot minority.

The reality is the port from XP is poor and the decision to only have 2 London models/densities with no control panel. Own it, its ok, its still a phenomenal product and youre correcting it thanks to the community feedback.

I also agreed that your settings do help a lot but on a top end PC we cannot fly a stutter free circuit at EGLC on any slider settings.

This is not a minority of users, many people just avoid London and its great out there.

I have probably spent over 500 quid with ORBX and I will continue to support you despite this combatitive stance because frankly you make incredible products and this will be 100% one of them, I will buy all of TE UK and all your UK airports.

Flying from ORBX Southampton along the coast to Lydd today at 50fps locked with real weather and other GA aircraft was simply stunning so thank you John, sorry if I didnt make that clear enough, once we get rid of those stutters I will be ORBXs #1 salesman.

TrueEarth for P3D is evolving.  This is a great product IMO.  it contains a level of detail on such a scale that its difficult to comprehend sometimes the pressure it puts technically on our systems.

The new architecture elements are interesting, the upside is clearly more accurate building outlines, the downside for people without seriously capable GPUs could be shadow settings.  I wonder how many people have simobject cast/receive shadows checked so that they get better airport ground visuals, without realising that means all the new architecture buildings cast/receive shadows as well, which could cripple performance without being blindingly obvious? Perhaps it could help somepeople if the new control panel gave an option for those buildings to be noshadowflagged?  Then we could use simobject shadowing without impacting on urban performance unnecessarily?

By unticking all FTX scenery entries other than TEGBS, I don't even get the pause at 6% bug.  It loads very fast and it got rid of blurries and improved fps (don't know why).  I tried Johns settings and they were good and improved things further.  I was even able to bump up the autogen after using FTFF Dynamic.  There is definitely something weird with TEGBS and loading the full library of entries.  I do not have this problem with any other ORBX product and I have over 380Gb worth.

3 hours ago, ArtFlyer said:

By unticking all FTX scenery entries other than TEGBS, I don't even get the pause at 6% bug.  It loads very fast and it got rid of blurries and improved fps (don't know why).  I tried Johns settings and they were good and improved things further.  I was even able to bump up the autogen after using FTFF Dynamic.  There is definitely something weird with TEGBS and loading the full library of entries.  

As far as I understand, that's no weird with TEGBS but Prepar3d, and LM is currently starting beta tests of another point release to remedy it. I decided to leave that issue alone for now, as it might be history soon.

I left FTFF out of the game deliberately to avoid another incalculculable parameter so far, but might give it a try in view of your report.

Kind regards, Michael 

Guest dellycowboy
4 hours ago, ArtFlyer said:

By unticking all FTX scenery entries other than TEGBS, I don't even get the pause at 6% bug.  It loads very fast and it got rid of blurries and improved fps (don't know why).  I tried Johns settings and they were good and improved things further.  I was even able to bump up the autogen after using FTFF Dynamic.  There is definitely something weird with TEGBS and loading the full library of entries.  I do not have this problem with any other ORBX product and I have over 380Gb worth.

Thanks for the info, will try disabling everything underneath

Guest dellycowboy
9 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

TrueEarth for P3D is evolving.  This is a great product IMO.  it contains a level of detail on such a scale that Perhaps it could help somepeople if the new control panel gave an option for those buildings to be noshadowflagged?  Then we could use simobject shadowing without impacting on urban performance unnecessarily?

That is a great suggestion Kevin. Shadows make a big difference to me, especially in airports but with TE they are also less important because the photoscenery often has shadows baked in. And yes currently any shadows cast will bring even the fastest system to a halt in TE.

So far Johns settings worked as a good start point for me, I have it running at an acceptable experience level now.  Just need to work out how to delete some of the experimental scenery profiles now.

Any suggestions welcome on how to get rid of some from the drop down 

list.

looking forward to the rest of the UK now.

Thanks for the pointers John.

48 minutes ago, bcrawley57 said:

So far Johns settings worked as a good start point for me, I have it running at an acceptable experience level now.  Just need to work out how to delete some of the experimental scenery profiles now.

Any suggestions welcome on how to get rid of some from the drop down 

list.

looking forward to the rest of the UK now.

Thanks for the pointers John.

Hi John, you will find them all at this location:

Documents/Prepar3D v4 Files

Cheers!

Jack

For what it may be worth, my feedback is very positive. I have been looking forward to TEGB in P3D for ages and it was certainly worth the wait!

Initially it gave my i7 4.5 ghz 32mb ram, dual 1080ti SLI, three screen system the dreaded  BSOD within minutes of flight. 

I appled Johns suggested settings however, loaded ENVTEX, AS16, ASCA, A2A 172 at UK2000 Bournemouth and bingo, smooth steady flight,.

Admittedly in a light GA. aircraft only, so far and not over London.

Perhaps unlike some, I’m in no rush to fly a PMDG 747-8 over the big smoke with TEGB loaded.

Im having a blast in a light GA over beautiful Dorset, Hants, Wilts, Etc countryside tho.

And that’s what I purchased TEGB for after all.

Thanks Orbx team. More please.

andrew

Archived