TEGB South P3Dv4.4 - settings for smooth performance at 4K

Are there any recommendations for if you don't have a 4K display.  I have used these settings (had to turn a few things down in fact) and am getting better results than before but still getting some microstuttering at times and also blurred sections of scenery at times that take a little while longer to catch up.  On the whole though it is an improvement on where it was, that's for sure.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ampharoah said:

For what it may be worth, my feedback is very positive. I have been looking forward to TEGB in P3D for ages and it was certainly worth the wait!

Initially it gave my i7 4.5 ghz 32mb ram, dual 1080ti SLI, three screen system the dreaded  BSOD within minutes of flight. 

I appled Johns suggested settings however, loaded ENVTEX, AS16, ASCA, A2A 172 at UK2000 Bournemouth and bingo, smooth steady flight,.

Admittedly in a light GA. aircraft only, so far and not over London.

Perhaps unlike some, I’m in no rush to fly a PMDG 747-8 over the big smoke with TEGB loaded.

Im having a blast in a light GA over beautiful Dorset, Hants, Wilts, Etc countryside tho.

And that’s what I purchased TEGB for after all.

Thanks Orbx team. More please.

andrew

Hi Andrew    Interesting !  Can you confirm you are not getting Blurries ( out of focus scenery after about 15-20 minutes into the flight)

Thanks

Hi Bruce,

No blurries, some micro-stutters but nothing too serious. Holding 29 to 30 FPS with target 30 set. Made the mistake of forgetting to use Johns profile earlier today - short flight then BSOD

Switched on Johns settings profile, same flight with no problem.

Will Test London later.

andrew

I still get some blurries until London fades into the distance, but London itself looks great and performs well.  You certainly have to restrict how much looking around you do when leaving London.  My system with those settings is definitely on the edge and some fine tuning is required.  Looking forward to the control panel update.

Once out of London area there is some blurring ahead, but the scenery catches up better.  For info, my system is a 6700 with 32gb fast RAM and a GTX1070.  Just wondering if a 1080 would be better.  I am running triple monitor too.

When you change the profiles between True Earth and normal, is it necessary to run the vector elevation tool each time?

1 hour ago, bcrawley57 said:

Once out of London area there is some blurring ahead, but the scenery catches up better.  For info, my system is a 6700 with 32gb fast RAM and a GTX1070.  Just wondering if a 1080 would be better.  I am running triple monitor too.

P3D is mostly CPU dependent so the graphics card will have little effect if any, you can download a GPU monitor and run that to confirm your video card isn't running at 100%.

There seems to be a lot to be gained by unticking all unnecessary scenery layers (using something like the freeware Scenery Config Editor), helps in loading time and reduces the blurries.

Should be no need to run the Vector tool when switching profiles.

29 minutes ago, John Dow said:

P3D is mostly CPU dependent so the graphics card will have little effect if any, you can download a GPU monitor and run that to confirm your video card isn't running at 100%.

There seems to be a lot to be gained by unticking all unnecessary scenery layers (using something like the freeware Scenery Config Editor), helps in loading time and reduces the blurries.

Should be no need to run the Vector tool when switching profiles.

Thank you John, ill try that :)

23 hours ago, dellycowboy said:

That is a great suggestion Kevin. Shadows make a big difference to me, especially in airports but with TE they are also less important because the photoscenery often has shadows baked in. And yes currently any shadows cast will bring even the fastest system to a halt in TE.

Great suggestion, I have passed this onto the developers working on the CP.

27 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Great suggestion, I have passed this onto the developers working on the CP.

Happy to beta test the next area for you? ;) Thats a genuine offer not a sarcastic remark btw I think what you've done with TE is great, just needs a few tweaks to be perfect :)

I want to preface my following comments by saying I am a big supporter of ORBX and their many amazing scenery products.

I have almost exclusively ORBX scenery products installed in my sim (P3Dv4.4) apart from some freeware military airports and a few Aerosoft airports that I had in FSX and can't live without.

I have been following the many threads regarding TEGB South with great interest.

I have TENL, really enjoy it and it works well on my system.

I am hesitant to take the TEGB plunge for a couple of reasons.

JV's suggested settings are a major change/reduction from the settings I currently run with everything installed to date, including Southern California and TENL.

I like to fly in real weather and suspect my detailed clouds/weather along with TEGB would be a problem.

I like the option to fly during any season, with the corresponding weather.

My system has three monitors which increases the load of displaying your surroundings.

I like to use Track IR which again increases the load because your view is constantly changing.

Finally the notion that you should only fly slow, and straight and level over London is, to me, a deal breaker.

What? No RAF Hawk flybys over the Palace?

Just the other day I was looping my A2A Harvard just outside Amsterdam!

That said, I guess it's just not for me, perhaps I'll take advantage of the latest sale and buy EU England instead!

I commend JV and team for always pushing the boundaries of what can be done within the many flight sim platforms and sincerely hope they keep it up.

Unfortunately you can never please everybody.

Cheers!

John, I understand completely. I suspect (please correct me if I’m wrong) that you are trying to take major steps and are sometimes hampered by the unique challenges and limitations of each host sim. Kudos for pushing the limits.

The memories of the constant tweaking and adjusting FSX required to satisfy me are still fresh. With P3D, for the most part, I can just load my desired flight and enjoy. I don’t want to go back to all that adjusting! For now I’ll hold off on any UK scenery, perhaps I’ll give TEGB a try one day.

I did take advantage of the latest sale though, picked up Germany North and South!

Thanks again for all of your efforts!

Lets be honest, even with a default "vanilla" P3D (vx.x) or even FSX - flying around London was always an FPS killer.

Don't understand the lack of acceptance of this fact; such an autogen dense area - if you are running road traffic and/or AI traffic the sheer number of roads and airports in close proximity of London will bring even the most high end machine to it's knees with sliders too the right. Throw in some of P3D v4.x's more advanced graphics features, shadows, extended LOD etc....#slideshow!

I think I saw Rob A talking about the meridian line issue on the forums recently, he suspected that it may also be contributing to performance inconsistencies. From memory going back to FSX days there were certain areas of the world that would inherently cause fps issues - I seem to remember reading that flying around the Seattle area in the USA would also cause performance issues for reasons nobody ever seemed to figure out.

I don't have TE GB South, but I did some testing last night in the Majestic Q400 - quick flight between PAHO to PANC with FTX SAK, sliders pretty much maxed running 4K on my 9700K@5.0Ghz RTX2080 resulted in frames easily hovering around the 50-60fps range.

Same settings, same aicraft from Gatwick to Stanstead (so right over London), struggled to maintain 30fps with FTX England - directly over west London with EGLL coming into the sim I saw dips as low as 15fps.

It's just London! Simply too much content/objects in a relatively small area for the ESP engine (even with v4.x's improvements) to cope well with.

Now clearly JV has shown that performance can be obtained by cutting back your sliders to offset the "London load" - frankly those slider settings are a compromise too far for me for general P3Dv4 flying, but if I was genuinely concerned with flying around the London area in TE GB I'd make do.

For anyone who likes to fly VR, I thought I would share my findings after tweaking for a couple of hours. I use the Milviz 407 & 530 choppers, the Carendo CT182T which being a high wing is better for sightseeing and the Just Flight Hawk T1/A which wasn't too bad at all. I just tried taking off from Shoreham and buzzing over Brighton.

Here are the settings that I'm currently using in my profile called Oculus which obviously is for VR use and I find is also acceptable for monitor display use.

Note, I have now chosen to uninstall FlyInside and use native P3D Oculus support. My specs are contained in my signature although missing is:

Windows boot drive - Samsung MZ-V7E500BW 970 EVO 500 GB V-NAND M.2 PCI Express Solid State Drive

P3DV4 & XP11 drive - Samsung MZ-76E1T0B/EU 1 TB 860 EVO Sata III 64L V NAND Solid State Drive

P3DV4_Display_Settings_Oculus.jpg

P3DV4_World_Settings_Oculus.jpg

P3DV4_Lighting_Settings_Oculus.jpg

I am just uploading a couple of London vids now, and most of the time I've got 30+fps, even with higher settings than JV recommended (in my Bronco ofc!)

One thing I've been noticing is that I seem to get low frame rate spikes when objects/textures load.

I seem to be getting much better performance than some, but may be worth noting I have changed the following setting in my Prepar3D.cfg...

MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=1000.000000

1000 is the default setting, which means that textures load and unload very close to the user a/c.  I changed my setting to 320000 (apparently 1,000,000) is the max allowable value per LM) and I'm now testing with 500,000.

People may want to play around with this setting to see if it improves flyable performance for them.  Be aware thought that increasing this value significantly will probably consume more memory (RAM and VRAM), although I haven't measured it so can't give any indication as to how much.    On my system, with 32Gb RAM and a 11Gb VRAM, I'm clearly not suffering any problems.  YMMV.

Hello folks..

We are now in the week after the week that was..... In the first post, John mentions a patch to be released "Next Week" - I have FTC Central 3.3.4.5 and as of a few mins ago, no updates for TE England South...

Can you advise us please when the patch John referred to is likely to be released.

Tally Ho and Many Thanks

Roger

Thanks for that Bruce and absolutely agree. 

I was just curious because when the CEO of a company says "Next Week" I for one, kind of expected it to happen.

So its clearly not a simple fix to implement.

Tally Ho and Many Thanks

Roger

7 hours ago, Ace-9 said:

Thanks for that Bruce and absolutely agree. 

I was just curious because when the CEO of a company says "Next Week" I for one, kind of expected it to happen.

So its clearly not a simple fix to implement.

Tally Ho and Many Thanks

Roger

We are now in “next week” and there are still several days left ....

So take it easy ; indeed it is better made good than rushed out.

Eugene has been working on a bunch of service packs including TE Netherlands SP1 for P3D and AFS2, and also looking at the London 3D building models for TE GB South P3D and has found a 30% performance gain on those. Whilst it was indicated to me that these SPs would take a week, I think it is best we let the developers find as much performance as possible rather than rushing them don’t you?

18 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Eugene has been working on a bunch of service packs including TE Netherlands SP1 for P3D and AFS2, and also looking at the London 3D building models for TE GB South P3D and has found a 30% performance gain on those. Whilst it was indicated to me that these SPs would take a week, I think it is best we let the developers find as much performance as possible rather than rushing them don’t you?

Sounds good John, thanks :)

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

Absolutely agree, we don't need a quick shot but something to work.

Kind regards, Michael

2 hours ago, John Venema said:

Spot on John, absolutely agree thanks for the reassurance.

23 minutes ago, Paul Rose said:

JV quick question off topic, what do you use to make videos using the oculus?

I run OculusMirror.exe and get the built-in Windows 10 games video record to record that window. That gives you a full screen view of what I am seeing in the headset.

For those who may be still suffering poor performance despite dialling back settings there's one trick that has worked for me and doubled my lowest frame rate in London from 7 to 12-14, making the place flyable with the recommended settings above:

I followed advice in another post and deleted the Scenery Indexes in C:\Program Data and the Shaders folders in Appdata/Local and I have just doubled my lowest frame rates across London to about 12-14.  P3D rebuilds those folders when you start it again all nice and cleaned up.

3 hours ago, John Dow said:

For those who may be still suffering poor performance despite dialling back settings there's one trick that has worked for me and doubled my lowest frame rate in London from 7 to 12-14, making the place flyable with the recommended settings above:

I followed advice in another post and deleted the Scenery Indexes in C:\Program Data and the Shaders folders in Appdata/Local and I have just doubled my lowest frame rates across London to about 12-14.  P3D rebuilds those folders when you start it again all nice and cleaned up.

Hi John, I have a question about this.  If I deleted these folders wouldn't that delete the PTA shaders?  I don't think they're ever going to update PTA for water so I'm thinking about binning PTA.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Jack,

deleting the shaders folders only deletes the shaders.

I don't think it deletes the files that determine what those shaders are,

so the replacements should be the same as those deleted.

Thanks Nick, then I think the only way to restore the originals is by installing the Client?  I don't think the PTA restoration works.  I did save the original files though.  Maybe just dump the original files into the folder where they are now?

3 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

How do you it actually worked Michael?

Actions|Restore original P3D shaders. As far as I recall, I saw the difference as the preset I used was quite different from naked P3D. If the preset only made suble modifications... it might hard to discern indeed.

But if you want to be sure, it's perhaps a good idea to just reinstall the client, which is a quick exercise, as I made recently myself.

Kind regards, Michael

6 minutes ago, pmb said:

Actions|Restore original P3D shaders. As far as I recall, I saw the difference as the preset I used was quite different from naked P3D. If the preset only made suble modifications... it might hard to discern indeed.

But if you want to be sure, it's perhaps a good idea to just reinstall the client, which is a quick exercise, as I made recently myself.

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks Michael.

Hi John,

Thank you for sharing the information provided and the settings etc you have proved to be acceptable(to you) running TE GB South, I have replicated those settings on my system and report my frame rates did not improve significantly, I have a question in your trials and deliberations were you using   Active Sky for P3DV4xxx and Active Sky Cloud Art & were all other scenery options disabled in Orbx ?.

Secondly, if you were using AS/ASCA or anther weather engine option when operating TE GB South did you have "live weather" enabled? or did you chose a neutral weather profile that may be less onerous on frame rates?.

In your model ie settings that i selected on my system I did have a live weather situation mainly as I forgot to change to another option?.

Brief Info ref my system is :-Intel (R) Core (TM) i7- 8700K CPU@3.70GHz  

(Processors Qty 12)

Installed Ram 16.0 GB (15.9 useable)

64bit operating system x 64-based processor

Win 10 Home

Display Adapters NVIDIA Ge Force GTX 1070Ti

Intel (R) UHD Graphics 630

Appreciate any other advice /solutions you may have regarding this topic.

Best Regards

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 8:51 AM, John Venema said:

Hi Jv, is there any progress you can share on the SP and control panel please? :) cheers K

On 3/5/2019 at 10:24 PM, kevinfirth said:

Hi Jv, is there any progress you can share on the SP and control panel please? :) cheers K

It will take time.  In the meantime have yo checked out the posts and threads for disabling all unnecessary scenery layers and deletion of the shader and scenery cache stuff.  Those actions made my TE GB quite smooth.  Sorry I don't have the links but the posts should be searchable.

Archived