TEGB South P3Dv4.4 - settings for smooth performance at 4K

Sorry Nick not your fault , I have re read my posts in case I have not been clear . I have re read the great advice by the contributors all valid and I would would advise anyone to have seperate graphics  configs depending where you are.   .fx files are fps eaters agree . Traffic are  FPS eaters . LOD autogen density lighting weather .

I cannot figure out a combination that works . My fault I am not clever enough to work it out for myself . I just wanted some settings help as the recommended ones in this thread no longer worked for me. JV did this initially a lot has changed since then 

I have to take it this thread is no longer valid and it cant be done . 

Thanks for your help TE now to be disabled over London no longer able to achieve it . Thank god FTX England still works . Don't worry I will no longer contribute to this all buyers of course be warned . I will keep an eye on things here in case any further info comes up.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the information Nick, the key thing for me seams to be turning off the shadows, then my performance is acceptable.  This is unfortunate as in general I am really impressed how P3D looks with all the shadows and reflections turned on.  But I figure I can have one graphics profile for TE environments and another for everywhere else.

• 1 month later...

Probably a daft question I read somewhere that global trees HD improves performance so will it improve tegb South p3d. Does tegb use default autogen trees or is it a custom set that is replaced on installation 

Uses HD Trees if you have them, never heard about a performance hike.

Regretfully I think that  a lot of the time performance over London can be put down  to hardware, assuming that sliders are at reasonable levels

On 6/23/2019 at 5:57 PM, bruce e said:

Uses HD Trees if you have them, never heard about a performance hike.

Regretfully I think that  a lot of the time performance over London can be put down  to hardware, assuming that sliders are at reasonable levels

I will have to give your settings another try did not work for me last time and my hardware is better

54 minutes ago, Colin David Hodds said:

I will have to give your settings another try did not work for me last time and my hardware is better

Can you confirm your CPU

Googling i7 4670k only brings up an i5

I'm running on a i7 9700 & RTX 2070 & aprt from the odd pause over central London (London Eye) no blurries, big stutters etc & is perfectly acceptable. Yes vram is higher but at no time do I get an oom

I remember the early days where you just avoided Seattle like the plague & enjoyed the rest of the scenery

cheers bruce been trying London again still judders on turns heavily. No idea why at least I have ftx England which runs well find the same in Southampton other places better.Wasted loads of hours trying to get to work   There is some dodgy poi or building there wish Orbx would actually get there heads out of xplane and look .Looking at buildings HD and would love it  just nerovous how bad this xplane port  has been. I have been following it for 2 years and seems a work of love from the lead developer not just some xplane garbage ported and tweaked.

• 4 weeks later...

@Colin David Hodds dont format it, it's not your PC its purely TE GB exceeding the limits of the engine due to being ported badly from Xplane.

Forget all the people saying oh its great on my machine, it isn't, they are either lying, aren't sensitive to stutters or they only fly 40+ miles from London with no addons, no lighting/shading at 1024x768.

I've a super powerful setup and the most smooth running P3D outside TE you could imagine but even turning everything right down (to the point its so ugly there is no point) you cannot lose the stutters every 5 or so seconds and always when turning, yes I have been through all of the advice from the start. It stutters, deal with it, its not VRAM, its not RAM and my CPU is not maxed out.

What you could try doing is using their new control panel to untick loads of things.. again they made a balls of this too because who wants to turn off All London Bridges and all Terrace houses, what people wanted and we said this was a complexity slider, as Flight Simulator has had for nearly 40 years!  Anyway the customer lost big time on this product, total con job, for future reference just remember P3D is for Airlining, Xplane is for GA. 

Lets see with P3D V5, I doubt I will bother unless it allows TE GB to be run with the same graphics settings as FTX. But that's unlikely because Orbx, in trying to simplify the TE port from Xplane, refused to split the scenery into graduated levels of complexity so unless v5 totally redesigns the engine to basically become Xplane then we are stuck with this pig. P3D is pretty much dead in the water now, the lack of care on this release and patch is all the evidence you need. 

Yes, they will release a few more dodgy Xplane ports that no one can run properly while blaming the game engine, but as long there are dumb customers like us who are stuck with the massive P3D investment they will have a market. All resources are rightly shifting over to the new engines, once Microsoft Flight Simulator is back next year its really bye bye P3D.

Shame really because the engine is pretty good now but LM really aren't focused on the kind of enthusiast/gamer detail and so will continue to focus on military stuff like Mission building.

I guess P3D did its job in keeping us all going while Flight Simulator was in hibernation!

London has always been a challenge for all flight simulators.

It is a vast metropolitan area with numerous airports inside and all around it.

I don't think anyone in any simulator can add the detail that the customers expect

and then maintain the same performance as can be achieved in a rural area.

The rest of your post is insulting to both Orbx staff and your fellow customers

and I think you need to have a rest from posting.

• 1 month later...

I note on the EGLC release page that it says there is a patch in progress for TE-UK South affecting the London area.  I may have missed this information elsewhere, could anyone provide any further information about this (ie: technical info about the patch, and likely timeframe?) or post a link to it if its already published elsewhere please?  Thanks K

• 2 weeks later...

If you go to the end of my video, I posted some settings that worked reasonably well with a loaded add-on set.  A very important factor to consider is VRAM usage, even with mild graphics settings and no special tweaks (all UI only changes), I hit just over 12GB VRAM (MEM value at left upper) ... once a GPU starts using RAM for storage FPS will take a hit and pulsation/stutters.

The building density still seems off to me, but here's some settings I used (see end of video 15:23 min mark):

Cheers, Rob.

Thank you John Venema for those informations.

I applied all the settings you suggested and it gave me a not too bad performance depending of the plane I'm flying. With a slow plane (Cessna 172) it's good but with a plane much faster than that (Boeing 737) the system struggles a little. For those who have a mid end rig it can be very less performing. For sure it can be smooth with a system at $3100.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello John and ORBX team,

Like some other guys in this topic, I experience a very bad frame rate all over the London area, that makes it unflyable, even with John's setting.

I followed all John's  advices except for texture resolution down from 4096 to 2048, not to 1024, because I only use A2A Planes and they are a lot more beautiful with high texture resolution.

Except London area, it's a very beautiful scenery and I enjoy very much to fly over.

It's nearly the same over Netherlands True earth, when I fly over Amsterdam or Rotterdam.

P3D v4.5, Win10, Asus Z97-A,  i7  4790K OC to 4.5Ghz, dual GTX970, 24gB RAM, System on SSD 252Go 960 EVOPlus NVMe, P3D on SSD 1 To Crucial

As you can see My PC is not the more powerfull you can buy, but it should be enouph.

My question is :

is there any applications, or programs, that I could disable on my system, which are useless and are automaticaly start by Windows10 and load the processor or the RAM,

and do you think it could help me to get better frame rate over big cities like London ?

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Socata said:

We need a product update, buy a product and take a month without being able to use it ................ that's not good.

Shouting won’t help. It just annoys the boss!

there are lots of places to fly over other than the inner. London area

3 hours ago, bruce e said:

Shouting won’t help. It just annoys the boss!

there are lots of places to fly over other than the inner. London area

+1 .... well said!

In my long association with ORBX, I've been known to be quite critical (and copped the flak) ... but I've always tried to be at least constructive. Saying "without being able to use it" is a bit of a broadside - and doesn't really help anyone. As Bruce E points out - inner London may indeed be a problem for systems anything less than state-of-the-art, but there really is a heck of a lot to enjoy in other areas. I have a system that was mediochre even when new - and it's over 5 years old now. Yes - I too struggle over London, but can just about do it by sacrificing visuals. I can't see how it's possible to cram so much detail into such a small area without some sacrifice.

However - as many of my copious screenshots show - I can enjoy the rest of the UK with all my settings pretty well maxed out. Various ORBX products have been tweaked and optimised after release in response to users' feedback. ORBX devs need encouragement - not being shouted at.

I'm part of a large team that works with the devs and, believe me, a *lot* of work goes on behind the scenes, where discussions are open and frank. You'll have to take my word for it, but there are people "out-back" that are way more critical than you appear to be (and me, for that matter)! So ... I say ... have a little faith (and patience). Criticise by all means, but give us (all) a little more info - about your specs, settings etc. There are lots of people here quite prepared to throw some ideas at you.

Adam.

12 hours ago, bruce e said:

Gritar no ayudará. ¡Simplemente molesta al jefe!

Hay muchos lugares para volar que no sea el interior. Zona de Londres

I'm sorry my friend, but I don't scream one thing is to write in capital letters and another to write and the lyrics appreciate big, a thousand apologies but I never try to offend anyone thanks

9 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

+1 .... bien dicho!

En mi larga asociación con ORBX, se sabe que soy bastante crítico (y supero la falla) ... pero siempre he tratado de ser al menos constructivo. Decir "sin poder usarlo" es un poco descabellado, y realmente no ayuda a nadie. Como señala Bruce E, el interior de Londres puede ser un problema para los sistemas que no sean de última generación, pero realmente hay mucho para disfrutar en otras áreas. Tengo un sistema que era mediocre incluso cuando era nuevo, y ahora tiene más de 5 años. Sí, yo también lucho por Londres, pero puedo hacerlo sacrificando imágenes. No puedo ver cómo es posible meter tantos detalles en un área tan pequeña sin algún sacrificio.

Sin embargo, como muestran muchas de mis copiosas capturas de pantalla, puedo disfrutar el resto del Reino Unido con todas mis configuraciones bastante agotadas. Varios productos ORBX han sido ajustados y optimizados después del lanzamiento en respuesta a los comentarios de los usuarios. Los desarrolladores de ORBX necesitan estímulo, no se les grite.

Soy parte de un gran equipo que trabaja con los desarrolladores y, créanme, hay una gran cantidad de trabajo detrás de escena, donde las discusiones son abiertas y francas. Tendrás que creer lo que digo, pero hay personas "atrasadas" que son mucho más críticas de lo que pareces ser (¡y yo, en realidad)! Entonces ... digo ... ten un poco de fe (y paciencia). Critique por todos los medios, pero dénos (todos) un poco más de información, sobre sus especificaciones, configuraciones, etc. Aquí hay mucha gente bastante preparada para darle algunas ideas.

Adán.

Good night, because when you can not use it is when installing it and you see me with 5 FPS unfortunately so it can not be used, I feel my English can sometimes be misunderstood thanks

OK - my turn to apologise ... it's not always obvious when users do not have English as their native language. I'm always impressed by people's grasp of the language (even without Google translate) when I can hardly speak *their* language. I'm fluent in Polish, vaguely OK in French but have only a dim recollection of the German I learned at school - but my knowledge of Spanish is zilch. Maybe having the type set large helps you to read what you're posting but you must understand that, by the very quaint, polite, English standards even that is taken to be a little *loud* - even if it it isn't "technically" shouting. Anyway ... enough of that ...

1) What kind of system have you got (roughly)?

2) Of all the different P3D settings, what are generally your main display settings (that appear to work fine in other scenery areas)?

3) Is this with all of the UK - or just around the big cities (London etc.).

4) The topic is for TEGB - are you using TEBG or just ORBX ENG?

5) Do you have any other ORBX add-ons that are also "heavy" in detail (like Southampton etc.) - and do they work OK?

6) Have you applied any "experimental" tweaks to prepar3d.cfg?

7) Are you using high-definition cloud textures? Often, you simply can't have both.

Getting decent performance out of *any* sim is a bit of an art form. There are thousands of combinations - and what works for some people just does the opposite for others. However - based on any more information you can give us all here, I'm sure you'll get a few suggestions. I've been an ORBX customer for a long time (almost from the very beginning, I think) and the people here are friendly and helpful.

Adam.

13 hours ago, Socata said:

Hello friend, thanks for your understanding I send you capture of my system, as for the graphics is the 1080 6GB MSI
All the products I have from ORBX do not cause me any problems.

Sistema.jpg

Captura produstos orbx.jpg

Captura 2 p3d.jpg

P3D -1.jpg

Woah.....your settings. Try these and see if they help (you won't see a difference in graphics)....keep your Texture res at 1024 though:

http://www.theflightsimmer.co.uk/settings.html

Hi Socata,

I'm so sorry for your suffering.
Anyway, what I can suggest to you is to delete Prepar3d.cfg and make an attempt without tampering with "Traffic" settings (("Aviation Traffic" and "Land and Sea Traffic"), ie keep them at zero/none -- minima.

It is almost certain that you will move from the unit range to the thirty-sixty FPS range.

Cheers,

8 minutes ago, Traveller said:

Hola socata

Lamento mucho tu sufrimiento.
De todos modos, lo que puedo sugerirle es que elimine Prepar3d.cfg e intente sin alterar la configuración de "Tráfico" (("Tráfico de aviación" y "Tráfico terrestre y marítimo"), es decir, mantenerlos en cero / ninguno - mínimos .

Es casi seguro que pasará del rango de unidades al rango de treinta y sesenta FPS.

Aclamaciones,

Yhakns friend

• 2 weeks later...

Hai all,

I tried for 6 days now to get it work with a reasonable FPS at London or London city, but whatever I do FPS is not going above 5 FPS.

Even with sliders all to the left still 5 FPS.

All other airfields in UK I get 40-50 FPS just London Heathrow and London city is terrible.

I think there must be a mistake in the scenery files or?

I have also TE Holland and that's super.

When I delete TEGBS London Heathrow and London City are back to 40-50 FPS.

I also tried exact the settings of John without any luck.

It keeps terrible.

What can I do more?

regards Michel

11 hours ago, LFA811 said:

Hai all,

I tried for 6 days now to get it work with a reasonable FPS at London or London city, but whatever I do FPS is not going above 5 FPS.

Even with sliders all to the left still 5 FPS.

All other airfields in UK I get 40-50 FPS just London Heathrow and London city is terrible.

I think there must be a mistake in the scenery files or?

I have also TE Holland and that's super.

When I delete TEGBS London Heathrow and London City are back to 40-50 FPS.

I also tried exact the settings of John without any luck.

It keeps terrible.

What can I do more?

regards Michel

TE GB South V2 is in beta testing at the moment and the performance around London is much improved.  All I can suggest is you wait for its release and I think you'll be happy with the results. 

8 hours ago, John Dow said:

TE GB South V2 está en fase beta en este momento y el rendimiento en Londres ha mejorado mucho. Todo lo que puedo sugerir es que esperes su lanzamiento y creo que estarás contento con los resultados. 

What I expect like many users is that it does not carry an additional cost since we are unable to enjoy it due to the performance problem

On 11/25/2019 at 2:49 AM, Adam Banks said:

OK - my turn to apologise ... it's not always obvious when users do not have English as their native language. I'm always impressed by people's grasp of the language (even without Google translate) when I can hardly speak *their* language. I'm fluent in Polish, vaguely OK in French but have only a dim recollection of the German I learned at school - but my knowledge of Spanish is zilch. Maybe having the type set large helps you to read what you're posting but you must understand that, by the very quaint, polite, English standards even that is taken to be a little *loud* - even if it it isn't "technically" shouting. Anyway ... enough of that ...

1) What kind of system have you got (roughly)?

2) Of all the different P3D settings, what are generally your main display settings (that appear to work fine in other scenery areas)?

3) Is this with all of the UK - or just around the big cities (London etc.).

4) The topic is for TEGB - are you using TEBG or just ORBX ENG?

5) Do you have any other ORBX add-ons that are also "heavy" in detail (like Southampton etc.) - and do they work OK?

6) Have you applied any "experimental" tweaks to prepar3d.cfg?

7) Are you using high-definition cloud textures? Often, you simply can't have both.

Getting decent performance out of *any* sim is a bit of an art form. There are thousands of combinations - and what works for some people just does the opposite for others. However - based on any more information you can give us all here, I'm sure you'll get a few suggestions. I've been an ORBX customer for a long time (almost from the very beginning, I think) and the people here are friendly and helpful.

Adam.

It's nice to see some patience and uderstanding.

I'm personally going to try and improve  in this department as it is too easy to get frustrated in this hobby, and take it out on those attempting to improve it.

I am very encouraged by OrbX's doggedness to improve things constantly, and the latest updates in TE for P3D are very pleasing.

For the first time (outside X Plane), I am seriously considering acquiring another large M.2 drive, and purchasing this at the end of the month, for use in P3D.

I also agree that using this particular scenery requires a judicious use of settings, and indeed selecting weather systems and aircraft that are appropriate for its intended use.

Also,  a simple, non-demanding VFR cloudscape doesn't require shadows, which apparently cause big hits.

I will continue to use FTX for more complex airliners and cloudscapes, or even just OpenLC and Vectors, when running a 747 in and out of Heathrow. But it's great to have the choice !

Happy New Year OrbX.

Not sure if this post will make it through the moderators, but I wanted to say thank you to John and the Devs! TEGB V2 is the product it always promised to be.

Well done ORBX for finally biting the bullet and listening, going back to the drawing board to integrate with the P3D Scenery density slider, predictably this has solved all the stutters and FPS problems. Whichever dev worked all this out, bravo, we can now fly in and out of the South of England using the normal sim settings! Cloud Shadows, Dynamic Lighting, clouds, with no stutters, no complex compromised TE GB settings profiles! 

And a bonus it looks like a lot of the green motorways have also been fixed, fantastic job.

Archived