How much disk space for TEGB North?

JT8D9A

Hi,

The TrueEarth Great Britain North download size is a compact 21.8GB to save on download time, but we are using a new installation system where we decompress the ortho textures using FTX Central. This expands the total installation to around 142GB of drive space.  Unfortunately it seems you do not currently have enough free space.

The answer to your question and a complete run through the installation procedure can be found in the following two topics.

Cheers,

Hi Scot just read the post about FTX Central being used to decompress the textures In Xplane. Does that mean that Orbx are working on FTX Central to completely work with Xplane. That would be absolutely fantastic as it would mean no more moving scenery around in Xplane I hope. Thanks Derek.

1 hour ago, JT8D9A said:

Many thanks for your reply, Scott and Crom! I did deinstall Battlefield V and now i have 160 GB on my D drive. Do i need the 142 GB also on drive C?

You should need roughly twice the download size temporarily, so your C drive should be OK.

Cheers,

1 minute ago, Dadtom65 said:

Hi Scot just read the post about FTX Central being used to decompress the textures In Xplane. Does that mean that Orbx are working on FTX Central to completely work with Xplane. That would be absolutely fantastic as it would mean no more moving scenery around in Xplane I hope. Thanks Derek.

I think FTXC already works with XP11 , at least it does with my FTXC .

John

1 minute ago, Dadtom65 said:

Absolutely.  Ben and others are constantly improving FTX Central to make it more user friendly and automated.  It has just been updated again prior to this release.

Cheers,

Hi yes it’s me of course it works it’s downloading True Earth North now. I will put that down to my age. What I was meaning is will it in the future put everything in Xplane in the right order so we don’t have to muck about with the ini file any more. Sorry Derek.

11 minutes ago, Dadtom65 said:

Hi yes it’s me of course it works it’s downloading True Earth North now. I will put that down to my age. What I was meaning is will it in the future put everything in Xplane in the right order so we don’t have to muck about with the ini file any more. Sorry Derek.

Yeah it is always been worked on and this feature isn't 100% yet, but it is getting there.  The issue is that FTX Central can alter the order of the ini file, but so can X Plane and so can the user.  As I say though Ben and co are improving on it day by day.

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

No, much smaller.

Good day Nick hope all is well.

From a tech standpoint can you elaborate a bit why P3D versions will be so much smaller? I have my suspicions why but the tech geek in me is curious for an approximate answer here for no other reason except self education. 

18 hours ago, styckx said:

Good day Nick hope all is well.

From a tech standpoint can you elaborate a bit why P3D versions will be so much smaller? I have my suspicions why but the tech geek in me is curious for an approximate answer here for no other reason except self education. 

Hi,

The brief, non technical answer is that it is due to the BGL file format used by FSX and it's subsequent iterations.  A BGL file is very efficient and it contains all the data in a compressed state, hence the reduced size in comparison.

It would be great for us users if an option came up when one starts to download a large scenery file from OrbX asking us where would we like to download the file to without us having to move files around manually from one drive to the other. I don't know if it's possible, but could FTX Central create the necessary links etc. and move the appropriate files itself, say, when my 'C' drive is full and move any further scenery downloads automatically into, say, my 'D' drive where there is 3Tb of memory waiting to be filled up?

I'm just very cagey about moving anything manually just in case I mess something up and I end up with a non working simulator (or computer).

Thanks!

47 minutes ago, orbmoke said:

It would be great for us users if an option came up when one starts to download a large scenery file from OrbX asking us where would we like to download the file to without us having to move files around manually from one drive to the other. I don't know if it's possible, but could FTX Central create the necessary links etc. and move the appropriate files itself, say, when my 'C' drive is full and move any further scenery downloads automatically into, say, my 'D' drive where there is 3Tb of memory waiting to be filled up?

I'm just very cagey about moving anything manually just in case I mess something up and I end up with a non working simulator (or computer).

Thanks!

This is coming in Central 4 :)

2 hours ago, Ben McClintock said:

This is coming in Central 4 :)

Ben - brilliant - thanks for the info! I have now filled up just over half of my 1Tb SSD hard drive with all three TrueEarth Great Britain packages plus all enhanced UK airfields/airports. No doubt there will be many more enhanced airports to come and what's next with the scenery? TrueEarth Mainland Europe? Here's hoping!

On 1/31/2019 at 2:10 AM, Nick Cooper said:

It's not finished but so far, less than 60 GB.

As much as I'm looking forward to TE for P3d I'm not looking forward to to two possibly three days to download it  :-(  due to the slow speed of the orbx servers and my internet connection speed, ah well I hope it'll be worth it .

3 hours ago, Ticker7 said:

due to the slow speed of the orbx servers

In my neck of the wood ORBX servers are lightning fast, at work at least, at home I have a slow connection so all my download are done at my shop. 

3 hours ago, Ticker7 said:

As much as I'm looking forward to TE for P3d I'm not looking forward to to two possibly three days to download it  :-(  due to the slow speed of the orbx servers and my internet connection speed, ah well I hope it'll be worth it .

I don't think the slow speed is due to the OrbX servers as I've just downloaded the new UK Fairoaks airport at 20Mbytes/sec (or 160 MegaBits/sec) which is the maximum download speed that I have available with Virgin Media broadband.

16 hours ago, orbmoke said:

I don't think the slow speed is due to the OrbX servers as I've just downloaded the new UK Fairoaks airport at 20Mbytes/sec (or 160 MegaBits/sec) which is the maximum download speed that I have available with Virgin Media broadband.

Not here in Australia (Perth) I on average take 1 day to download the lib file as I said it's a combination of the servers and my internet connection which is crap compared to the rest of the world it seems.

@Ticker7 - Sorry mate but I have to disagree with you, Your slow speed is totally down to your internet speed and not the OrbX servers, If it was the servers, then we would all have some restriction as well, and I haven't. The OrbX servers are the same speed wherever in the world they are being used. It's nothing to do with the location.

As much as I'm looking forward to TE for P3d I'm not looking forward to to two possibly three days to download it  :-(  due to the slow speed of the orbx servers

The maximum download speed of my internet connection is (theoretically) around 36Mbps, but I normally top out around 31Mbps these days (roughly equivalent to 1GB every four minutes). I recently downloaded TrueEarth Netherlands for P3D v4, and that speed of 31Mbps was maintained throughout the entire 5 hours 18 minutes that it took me to download the product. I can't ask for any more than that.

39 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

The maximum download speed of my internet connection is (theoretically) around 36Mbps, but I normally top out around 31Mbps these days (roughly equivalent to 1GB every four minutes). I recently downloaded TrueEarth Netherlands for P3D v4, and that speed of 31Mbps was maintained throughout the entire 5 hours 18 minutes that it took me to download the product. I can't ask for any more than that.

Exactly - so you are also confirming that there are no restrictions with the OrbX servers.

Archived