Best modern friend

Hi all. On this forum, most of us are of an age where we find ourselves boring younger people with the phrase, "Things were better back in the old days." This, of course, is a generational thing that has been recorded as existing ever since language was first recorded.

At this age, however, most of us are aware that some modern things are much better than they were in the old days -- soccer players, orthopedic medicine, and tires, for example. My question is -- what modern thing do you most celebrate as being better now than it used to be? For me, I'd say access to information, cars, and flight simulation :lol:

• Nick Cooper changed the title to Best modern friend

I am not as materialistic as I use to be and no longer have much of a hoard. The PC has been there for me since the 70s so that is the one consistent thing along the way. I wouldn't say it is better today then it was because the PC was at it's best during the early 80s with the realization of what it could do. Now we are just pushing its potential a little more each year.

1) With the digital age no longer have I the need to send the missus on the roof to fix the antenna whilst I  tried to tune the TV

2) No need anymore to sent the missus under the rain with the crankshaft to start the car whilst I comfortably fiddle  with choke

3) No need to search a dictionary just ask GOOGLE

4)In the old time  you can only blame yourself if you got lost, Nowdays blame the GPS

Had they not been part of the work environment, I'd probably have avoided computers longer.  My kids were enthused at school so we dove right into the Apple II+ world.  As my current multi terrabyte drives purr at 7200 rpm, I can still hear those Apple floppies grinding themselves to death.

Ah, floppies.  I was throwing out some junk in my garage recently and found a small box that apparently had been packed and forgotten many moves ago.  I opened it and found a pile of 5.25 floppies and a bunch of 3.5 disks.  Haven't used anything like that in years.  And I do remember the Apple II.

Well, from the comfort of my recliner I can tell ‘Alexa’ to change the television channel, raise or lower the thermostat and turn on various lights throughout my home, compile a shopping or to do list (that a rarely ever follow) or to tell me a joke if I really get bored. I can also use my fob to start my vehicle, so it warms up in bone chilling weather. Also, again from the comfort of my recliner, I can use my iPad to endlessly float through various forums or search the internet for anything and everything. However I still have to tell my wife, “get dinner ready woman!” (If any of you try this, let me know how it worked out for you)

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking about it, peace, my wife, central heating and comfort.  For me, I think they are the two most important improvements to my life from what I call the 'olden' days.

Archived