5th freedom flight

Stillwater

Sure you all are frequent flyers or airline managers, so you know about the advantages of "5th freedom flights". For those of you not familiar with fifth freedom routes: these are flights where an airline from one country has the right to operate between two other countries or within such. These are often operated in conjunction with longhaul flights back to the airline’s home country. You can find some examples here: https://onemileatatime.com/fifth-freedom-flights-europe/ .

Today we are flying from Sydney to Canberra, a route which is not naturally flown with a 777... but SQ288 does this! The plane is getting loaded and substantially fuelled in YSSY, international terminal T1 ...

04z7TOT.jpg

Looking at all the big brothers while taxiing...

LmVKRYo.jpg

... and at the magnificient city.

Ib7YU6i.jpg

The domestic terminal showing some little Jetstar planes...

Wk5qZAJ.jpg

... and here we accelerate, into a sea of lights.

ixmTS2y.jpg

Caltex refinery in Botany Bay.

hET9IIx.jpg

It is just about 140 miles, so we do not go higher than FL140. Only 21 minutes later we descend into Canberra (not too much time to enjoy the famous Singapore service :'(). My AIRAC has a slightly complicated RNAV approach...

ZLsvdGU.jpg

... but - at least - I could already spot the runway, while being far too high for a direct landing.

3rlQjoS.jpg

After circling in the dark it worked, even with 105 t of fuel on board. OK, my brake temperature was a bit too high afterwards - I´m not a professional... :wacko:. And I had to squeeze the Boeing into a parking lot just as we do it with our cars here in the city. Next time I´ll have the static airliners switched off!

rfE4XMo.jpg

Thanks for the cool link, thanks for showing the 777, thanks for showing YSSY! The fifth pic is wonderful. And glad to see you back in a proper seat...

I have the feeling that in P3D v4.4 the 777 lost its night halo, or am I mistaken? The own aircraft seems a lot (realistically) darker now.

Hey Gerold. Once again a wonderful sense of being there and feeling that. When I looked at the RNAV lace pattern, all I could thing of was that it would require a heck of a lot of attention to process. But, obviously, it got you down safely. That last shot of the 777 sitting next to its little sisters reminds us of how big that plane actually is. Really enjoyed this set, Gerold. Thanks!

16 hours ago, BradB said:

Grand nighttime shots Gerold . :):)

Cheers

John

Thank you John!

15 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Excellent Gerold, I love the way you fly real SID's and STARs.

Thank you Jack. The SID was a pleasure here, but the STAR gave me one problem: No vertical guidance, as this was only an RNAV approach. I had to correct this with a sponatous manual approach... :o.

13 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Thanks for the cool link, thanks for showing the 777, thanks for showing YSSY! The fifth pic is wonderful. And glad to see you back in a proper seat...

You are welcome Lars! Maybe we can find even more real-life routes for our beloved 777, even on short flights?

13 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

I have the feeling that in P3D v4.4 the 777 lost its night halo, or am I mistaken? The own aircraft seems a lot (realistically) darker now.

I am not sure... to me most planes appear (and always appeared) very dark in night shots.

13 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey Gerold. Once again a wonderful sense of being there and feeling that. When I looked at the RNAV lace pattern, all I could thing of was that it would require a heck of a lot of attention to process. But, obviously, it got you down safely. That last shot of the 777 sitting next to its little sisters reminds us of how big that plane actually is. Really enjoyed this set, Gerold. Thanks!

Thanks Rodger... don´t ask mw HOW I got the plane down. But the final landing was smooth...

As I said, finding a parking lot was difficult :D!

12 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

That is interesting Gerold and I didn't realise that SQ flew into Canberra from Sydney!

An excellent set of night images and naturally a great flight on the best airline there is!

Thanks Martyn. maybe we even find a domestic widebody flight from / to Melbourne, just for you? But I fear this must not necessarily mean Singapore... would you also accept Thai or Emirates?

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

Thank you Jack. The SID was a pleasure here, but the STAR gave me one problem: No vertical guidance, as this was only an RNAV approach. I had to correct this with a sponatous manual approach... :o.

Yup, RNAV's will get you there but then it's disconnect and land by hand and follow the plan depending what category it is.  I love ILS approaches but RNAVs will get you there but then it's hands on landing, which is always a pleasure.

3 hours ago, Chunk said:

Fabulous shots Gerold! The night setting is very alluring. 

Thank you Chunk. It is a real-life timing, so I had no alternative to the night setting!

1 hour ago, wain71 said:

great shots, looked like a great flight...

Thank you wain. It was great, a pleasure to take these big birds to a short hop!

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Yup, RNAV's will get you there but then it's disconnect and land by hand and follow the plan depending what category it is.  I love ILS approaches but RNAVs will get you there but then it's hands on landing, which is always a pleasure.

I like your wording, Jack: "RNAV will take you there, but then it´s disconnect". The trouble was the darkness, the lack of PAPI lights in many Australian airports, and the misleading altitude instructions of the ATC. I had to make a decision, just ignored them and did want I felt was right >:D!

Thank you Chunk. It is a real-life timing, so I had no alternative to the night setting!

Thank you wain. It was great, a pleasure to take these big birds to a short hop!

I like your wording, Jack: "RNAV will take you there, but then it´s disconnect". The trouble was the darkness, the lack of PAPI lights in many Australian airports, and the misleading altitude instructions of the ATC. I had to make a decision, just ignored them and did want I felt was right >:D!

Thanks Gerold.  I love auto lands but they require ILS, so an RNAV requires hand landing unless a go-around is needed.

yeah most of my flights in 'tubes' are usually under 2 hours, however if you add planning startup and shut downs they are a little longer, current favorite is Quality Wings 787...

15 hours ago, wain71 said:

yeah most of my flights in 'tubes' are usually under 2 hours, however if you add planning startup and shut downs they are a little longer, current favorite is Quality Wings 787...

You are right: flights under 2 hours are very suitable for blending simming into life... And with preparation and approach it extends at least by another hour... 

The QW787 is my alternative for widebody flying, a pleasure.

14 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Outstanding night shots and you must have been a busy jet captain on such a short flight!  I too love night flights with interesting weather and good AI :)

Thank you TT. No, the flight as such was a pleasure, just not enough treatment by the flight attendants. The RNAV landing made up for all the busy work ;D...

Archived