Where are Elders still respected?

Only certified Old Coots and our world-ranging experience can answer this one. My "Adopted" grandson is a second-generation Sri-Lankan-American. His folks came here in 1975.  Justin tries to honor his Sri-Lankan heritage for his parents' sake while also honoring the American culture in which he grew up and into which he is now entering as a contributing adult. At lunch, we were noting the difference between Western Culture and its youth orientation and Southeast Asian culture and its emphasis on honoring parents and grandparents. He sincerely and uncritically asked if I thought there were any Forum members who felt heard and taken seriously as Elders and, if so, where did they live? Good question--what's our experience in the countries represented in the Forum? As for me here in the western United States, my experience is that the youth wave washes Elders away.

5 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

As for me here in the western United States, my experience is that the youth wave washes Elders away.

This  problem  of youngster  not listening  to their  elders  is a world wide  problem. The assimilation  of different  cultures  can  prove to  be the source  of  problems, not only with their elders  but also with the law  of the country of adoption 

During my professional career in the Northern Territory,  I had the privilege to  work  with Australian Aboriginals .  The integration  and sometime clashes  of two  cultures  was  so obvious, that meeting  deadlines  was  sometime impossible.  I had  the  help  of the Community Elders  which  made  my tasks  a lot easier. Those Elders  have a very strong  influence  on their families  and wider community and  are highly regarded  and respected  by  all . One  day  one of those  Elder  came to me  complaining  that the young  ones  have caught the white man's sickness.  I asked this Elder  what it meant  and he said  " You  know the  young ones do not want  to listen to us anymore, this was unheard  of  10 or 20 years  ago "  he said 

Sounds like we all have short memories of our own rebellious natures:D Those growing up through the 60's and early 70's will remember that we were old by the age of 30. Anyone remember the film "Logans Run"? But seriously, I think in general (there are always exceptions to the rule) every generation goes through similar stages. My kids love and respect me (because they have seen the will !!!)

Hello,

I don't expect to be treated any differently because I am 50 odd years older than someone else.

One should look past the outward appearance or vintage to the person inside, then one will see

that there are the respectful and disrespectful at all times of life.

In my time I was taught to respect your elders and I’m sure our two sons, wish we had a daughter, think the same. A lot of the foreign countries look after their elders for life it seems, but here it’s not the same. You hope you and yours keep your mind and can pass some thing onto your kids and not have to go into a care home and loose the lot in fees. Derek.

18 hours ago, YAMBA1 said:

This  problem  of youngster  not listening  to their  elders  is a world wide  problem. The assimilation  of different  cultures  can  prove to  be the source  of  problems, not only with their elders  but also with the law  of the country of adoption 

During my professional career in the Northern Territory,  I had the privilege to  work  with Australian Aboriginals .  The integration  and sometime clashes  of two  cultures  was  so obvious, that meeting  deadlines  was  sometime impossible.  I had  the  help  of the Community Elders  which  made  my tasks  a lot easier. Those Elders  have a very strong  influence  on their families  and wider community and  are highly regarded  and respected  by  all . One  day  one of those  Elder  came to me  complaining  that the young  ones  have caught the white man's sickness.  I asked this Elder  what it meant  and he said  " You  know the  young ones do not want  to listen to us anymore, this was unheard  of  10 or 20 years  ago "  he said 

And therein lies a true tragedy. Thanks for sharing this, Yamba1. Makes my heart break.

8 hours ago, lawrence aldrich said:

As Rodney Dangerfield once said...………"I don't get no respect !!"

You can quote him anytime, He's one of the best :D

When I was a kid I got no respect. When my parents got divorced there was a custody fight over me... and no one showed up

:lol:

While trying to guide them properly my wife and I have always endeavoured to show our children respect and courtesy and in return I know we've had and still got theirs.

Mind you, its been a challenge at times, especially when our son was younger and rebellious.  The girl has never been a problem and they are both now a joy to know.

They've both reached middle age now and I do wish they'd get proper jobs and get married though!!!:rolleyes:

John

OK I will make an attempt on this topic....Where are Elders still respected?

This story goes back almost 10 years ago now, it was my last few months living in Toronto before moving to New Zealand, I had already left my job and decided to help out a friend of mine in his shop for a few months before I moved, it was a great time doing casual work like that. The area of the shop has a very large Persian population and they like to spend money, so we had a lot of customers. I noticed how friendly they were, and their kids were extremely nice and respectful as well. One family I got to know was a businessman from Afghanistan who was the kind of guy that built his wealth from nothing, very self-made man. He had his wife and 8 daughters. When I met him I though wow this guy has a lot on his plate. His daughters would come into the shop and they were great kids, highly educated, hardworking, very modern and fashionable as well as respectful. A lot of happiness in that family. One thing I noticed over time was anytime one of them came in the bill was usually around $350 and off they go. I started to do the math in my head. $350 each times 8 of them, and also his wife. this stuff adds up. I figured he was spending well over $100,000 a year taking care of those girls basic needs in that house, probably more, not including education or any cars he buys them. 

So, one day he was in with 2 of his daughters, they got what they wanted so he was there to pick them up and pay the bill. That was when I made the joke I said, "You know what I would do if I was you?" he said what. I said, "I would go home and call a family meeting and say, that's it kids, put the burka's back on, I am not doing this anymore." He laughed and then said to me, "that is now how it works. In life you take care of your kids, that way when you get old they take care of you." and off they went.

That got me to thinking, when you go to these countries in Asia, the middle east and around the Mediterranean one thing you won’t find are retirement homes, they don't have them. Retirement homes are the result of western culture. Those countries don't need them, and he said it best, take care of your kids and when you get old they will take care of you. Best advice I've ever heard. 

'take care of your kids and when you get old they will take care of you.' 

I'm not sure that's true in England any more.

John

Depends on where you live to a large extent I suppose.  In my opinion, the greater majority of people in the North have always been more family oriented than those in the South.

John

Oh my goodness.  That's priceless and I wish I had thought of it while my two were growing up.  Come to think of it, they did really.  My daughter to university and from then on she never lived at home and my son to London to try his luck as a photographer.   She's very successful, he's still very trying!

John

2 hours ago, Gypsy Pilot said:

So far the only place that I have found respect for age was at a gathering of old folks.:)

This Complaint Is Not New.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/63219-the-children-now-love-luxury-they-have-bad-manners-contempt

Dale

Dale, I guess you must mean some gathering of Old Folks other than us Forum Old Coots. Nothing but smart-ass around here. :rollmyeyes:

Archived