Big jets and big trees in the outback.

VH-KDK

Some important Australian history in Western Queensland and a magnificent pair of OZx airports too.

1.NJdbO1n.jpg

Two of the exhibits at the Qantas Museum at Longreach. The 707-138B is VH-XBA and was the first jet delivered to the airline.

The 747-238B is VH-EBQ

2.eCqsebg.jpg

Amongst the planes at the museum is a Catalina, a newly arrived C-121, several replicas  and this former QF DC-3 VH-EAP

3.oGqmmk8.jpg

Longreach is a predominantly agricultural town dealing with sheep and cattle. As well as the Qantas Museum Longreach is home to the Stockman's(!!!:o:footmouth::rolleyes: Hall of Fame.

4.pW3nfT2.jpg

It is named after the "long reach" of the Thompson River on which the town sits.

5.oI5mVjb.jpg

The east west streets are all named after water birds and the n-s named after land birds!

6.icSZxTk.jpg

We are now following the Landsborough Highway A2 road to Barcaldine. It's 70 miles and the scenery is like this all the way.

7.TM3zxAW.jpg

Approaching Barcaldine, a town of just over 1300 people, another farming town.

8.QmcrVjq.jpg

The town played a big part in the formation of the Labour Movement during the Shearers Strike in 1891.

9.wzr9Uww.jpg

The Tree of Knowledge, in Oak Street, was a Ghost Gum where the strikers used to meet in 1891. It was the symbol of the formation of the Labour Party and Trades Union movements.

It was poisoned in 2006 but cuttings were successfully propagated and the trees progeny live on today. The dead trunk has been preserved.

Only small towns but plenty of history.

I hope you enjoyed the flight.

11 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That was excellent Martyn, I love learning history about places such as these, thank you!  And the scenery is some is so photoreal I was amazed.  

Cheers Jack, I thought you would enjoy this.:)

Not bad for the original release is it. I am just hoping that OZx will work in the new release otherwise I will have to make a difficult choice.:huh:

Mind you we don't know what treatment the new AUS will give to the airports and how many are going to be included!:unsure:

11 minutes ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots Martyn. Yes it's nice to hear the local knowledge of these amazing place. I especially like the history of those planes you gave us.

Thanks for your comment Karl, it is so pleasing to see these old jets preserved and hopefully they will last a long time out there.:)

Archived