The Timkenumo sloped airfield receives a Dash 7

The local authorities have decided to study the possibility of using a Dash 7 in the challenging airfields along the Kokoda trail. The local Airlines PNG Twin Otter pilots based at the Kokoda airport have been invited on board of the newly arrived aircraft as they might have to do a cross-training later on.

hV8VRud.jpg

Today, the group is heading to Timkenumo, a very short mountain airfield with an impressive slope. The weather forecast indicates the presence of rain for the whole period of the flight. But the visibility is good. It is worth trying out the airfield.

DVFmOtV.jpg

SrO5MoD.jpg

The Dash 7 gets closer to Timkenumo : gears and flaps are out.

gCPMtFb.jpg

The short sloped runway is in sight.

uQY9KbD.jpg

Timkenumo is touchy for a Dash 7. The flare is critical. Since the aircraft has to be parallel to the steep sloped runway on arrival, it has to adopt a climbing configuration in the last moment of the approach. This means having enough speed to avoid a stall, but not too much to be unable to stop before the end of the runway.

Z8aE3F7.jpg

Now is breaking time! Airbrakes, brakes, reversers, pulling on the stick to put the weight on the center wheels, everything is included except totally retracting the flaps which would be useless on such a short runway. The aircraft slows down rapidly, but it is necessary to keep it slowly moving to help finish the ride up the hill.

y7xwxbm.jpg

Once positioned correctly, the crew stops the aircraft. The engines remain running since it is only a quick turnaround.

gBxNvJ8.jpg

A pilot gets out and take a picture of the Dash 7 with the Timkenumo post sign.

hY2qfcm.jpg

It is now time to turn around. The slope is too important, even for the Dash7. Applying full power to turn will not work here. The best way is to release the brakes, let the Dash 7 build a little momentum, then apply the right brakes at the same time as the left reversers come into action. The aircraft pivots on itself on the runway. Then the pilot apply left rudder and brakes and adds power to the two engines on the right side to align the aircraft with the runway.

fF2wMKs.jpg

Using the steep slope and the power of the four engines of the Dash 7, the aircraft is airborne rapidly.

cdoq75K.jpg

k1gs116.jpg

It is time to build up speed to avoid the mountain straight ahead.

XKVSDbQ.jpg

A few minutes later, the Dash 7 is out of the valley. The Kokoda airport is in sight. The airbrakes will help to rapidly diminish the airspeed.

1CQ4Rfe.jpg

The runway is straight ahead.

jvxjKpB.jpg

Lots of visitors today in Kokoda!

Xs0xbbl.jpg

Some food is already being cooked outside. I guess the pilots will try to invite themselves. Hopefully the tents will be dismantled tomorrow morning, otherwise there is a risk that the Dash7 pilots accelerate the process with the thrust reversers before the next flight!

4dOcqB0.jpg

Cheers!

1 hour ago, European Mountain Man said:

Fantastic set of shots and i enjoyed your story thanks regards EMM

Glad you liked the story and shots EMM!

49 minutes ago, Iain Emms said:

Grand set these François.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain, much appreciated!

Some nice tropical out of the way flying Francois, and thanks for hi-lighting these small airstrips. I guess the landing back at Kokoda was nothing compared to the Timkenumo approach and landing ;) 

6 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Super post Francois!!!!!!  Enjoyed the story, the flying and of course the scenery.

Thank you very much John!

5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Wonderful post François with some excellent flying.

Nice to see the Dash 7 as well.:)

Thanks, glad you liked. Imagine if somebody would do a brand new virtual Dash 7 today. I would jump on it!

4 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Some nice tropical out of the way flying Francois, and thanks for hi-lighting these small airstrips. I guess the landing back at Kokoda was nothing compared to the Timkenumo approach and landing ;) 

Thanks Sniper. How tough were the landings? As you say, very easy in Kokoda, much tougher in Timkenumo. But the toughest part was to repositioned the Dash7 for take-off while dealing with a steep uphill slope. I did burn a lot of gas on that manoeuver....!^_^

4 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Thank you for this extremely entertaining story of a bunch of completely crazy bush pilots! Much appreciated. Please keep on these stories of bush pilots.

Thanks Captain, always nice to see the forum members like crazy bush pilots! I'll do my best to find other challenges while making sure the pilot gets out of there alive! :)

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That was wonderful François, exciting and great narrative, not to mention a wonderfully colorful place!

Thanks Jack, there is nothing like the Dash 7 for tough places. As long as the runway isn't too narrow for the wings! Because it is certainly not a very short runway that will be too much of a challenge for the Dash 7.

2 hours ago, Orbxtreme said:

Thanks, glad you liked. Imagine if somebody would do a brand new virtual Dash 7 today. I would jump on it!

Too right François, I can remember reading about the Dash 7 in Air Pictorial back in the 70s and instantly liking the appearance of it.

I only have ever seen one in RL and I would imagine very few are left flying today but a virtual one would be a must buy for me too just as long as there is a simple mode for flying it!:lol:

8 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Too right François, I can remember reading about the Dash 7 in Air Pictorial back in the 70s and instantly liking the appearance of it.

I only have ever seen one in RL and I would imagine very few are left flying today but a virtual one would be a must buy for me too just as long as there is a simple mode for flying it!:lol:

If virtual aircraft builders are reading the post, maybe it's going to give them a new idea. It does not have to be a new aircraft; for example, the Rotate company is actually building a superb MD-11 for X-Plane and it will be ready in 2019. And there are less and less companies flying the MD-11, but its technology was unique and the pilot had to work hard to stay ahead of the aircraft!

7 hours ago, paulb said:

Super shots of a difficult flight Francois! :)

Thanks Paul, very glad you liked the flight!

9 hours ago, jean marc said:

A very great story !!!! thank you François - so nice a flight adventure in this area with such pleasant/full of life screenshots :)

Thank you Jean Marc, I must say that there are so many potential challenges in that region that finding something new all the time is quite easy!

11 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

That was one impressive flight, backed up buy that landing and turn around, great piloting, loved the commentary and awesome shots. That is going to be hard to beat.

many thanks for sharing

Thanks Ken, you are right I cannot use anything bigger for those runways unless I die many times in the process. But your creation is sure a lot of fun!

10 hours ago, gregmorin said:

Great flying and shots!

Greg

Thanks Greg, I am happy you liked the set!

Archived