Where in the world is ...

I guess we can narrow it down to Northern Island?

Great cap with a lot of trees which even brings my rig on it's knees when keeping shadow casting on.

On the other hand, I must go back there since I've recently changed my AA settings.

4 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

I guess we can narrow it down to Northern Island?

Great cap with a lot of trees which even brings my rig on it's knees when keeping shadow casting on.

On the other hand, I must go back there since I've recently changed my AA settings.

Getting warm!!!

Turns my PC into a slideshow as well ... but what a slideshow, eh?

If no-one gets it soon, I'll be posting a clue!!

Adam.

Getting warm!!!
Turns my PC into a slideshow as well ... but what a slideshow, eh?
If no-one gets it soon, I'll be posting a clue!!

Adam.

My guess would be that a slideshow would mean low FPS... What places on the north island (that seems to not have much population) would have a big FPS hit??

Caleb

1 hour ago, caleb1 said:

My guess would be that a slideshow would mean low FPS... What places on the north island (that seems to not have much population) would have a big FPS hit??

Caleb

Caleb, I think he was simply referring to his tree settings causing the slide show....if you notice, even for NZ, that is a dense tree setting....looks gorgeous mind you, but as Adam pointed out, slideshow....but NZ as whole is pretty FPS friendly package. I am assuming he only had the trees so dense for picture sake ;) 

Caleb, I think he was simply referring to his tree settings causing the slide show....if you notice, even for NZ, that is a dense tree setting....looks gorgeous mind you, but as Adam pointed out, slideshow....but NZ as whole is pretty FPS friendly package. I am assuming he only had the trees so dense for picture sake [emoji6] 
Ah, the trees probably explain why there is a FPS hit.

Due to those curves of the coast....high cliffs.... It looks similar to the shores of Lake Gordon in Tasmania...and the vegetations is tight, tropical, I would have to catch a fly for verification :-)

I will check Lake Waikaremoana as per Cyberpilot's

11 hours ago, cyberpilot said:

Panekire Bluffs at Lake Waikaremoana would be my guess.

One of the hidden gems of the North Island NZ.

Jackpot! Well done, Rod! How's the head - are you fully recovered?

9 hours ago, carlosqr said:

@cyberpilot

Lake Waikaremoana here (nice ride) looks very similar indeed, though my trees look pale

I have ORBX HD Trees - plus a few tweaks via PTA. My time of day was early morning, so that could explain the lighting maybe.

Needles to say, I have autogen vegetation maxed out!

Adam.

Thanks very much for the kind thoughts Adam.

The head injury is healing up nicely but the whiplash and cracked ribs are something else!

Keen to go flying again soon but it won't be in the Foxbat which is a complete write-off.

Still convinced that a drone was responsible.

Crash 12.JPG

Crash 13.JPG

Thanks very much for the kind thoughts Adam.
The head injury is healing up nicely but the whiplash and cracked ribs are something else!
Keen to go flying again soon but it won't be in the Foxbat which is a complete write-off.
Still convinced that a drone was responsible.

5aefd55736580_Crash12.thumb.JPG.b4d9240503d26ade9501327068e7ee14.JPG
5aefd570cf701_Crash13.thumb.JPG.a2db23f2e38ce157ab23ffcac2a2003f.JPG
Ouch. A drone was responsible? I Don't quite understand it...

Caleb - during a sightseeing flight something caused the plexiglass windscreen of the Foxbat to shatter without warning, leaving a gaping hole in its place.

The two plexiglass doors on either side of the aircraft then blew out and threatened to wrap themselves around the tailplane.

It was like being in a wind tunnel.

Making matters worse my headset was blown away and I was unable to make a mayday call.

With so much drag the aircraft was reluctant to remain airborne and an immediate forced landing was the only option.

I managed to get it down into a small field but during the landing roll the nose wheel buckled after striking rough ground and the aircraft flipped on its back.

The catastrophic failure of the windscreen could have been caused by a number of things such as bird strike, faulty plexiglass or a collision with a drone.

However, there was no tell-tale evidence of feathers/blood/bones etc so a bird strike was ruled out.

And given that structural failures of plexiglass windscreens in Foxbat aircraft are almost unheard of that leaves open the probability of a drone strike.

Subsequent to the accident I learnt that drones are regularly flown in the area where it occurred, to the extent that local helicopter pilots were concerned for their own safety.

Also the damage to the windscreen suggests that it was struck by something that was travelling at right angles to my flight path - shards of plexiglass were later found on the ground below the impact point.

The consensus among my flying friends is that a drone was to blame but I guess we'll never be able to prove it conclusively.

I think it most unlikely someone will admit to flying a drone that brought down an aircraft! 

31 minutes ago, cyberpilot said:

Caleb - during a sightseeing flight something caused the plexiglass windscreen of the Foxbat to shatter without warning, leaving a gaping hole in its place.

The two plexiglass doors on either side of the aircraft then blew out and threatened to wrap themselves around the tailplane.

It was like being in a wind tunnel.

Making matters worse my headset was blown away and I was unable to make a mayday call.

With so much drag the aircraft was reluctant to remain airborne and an immediate forced landing was the only option.

I managed to get it down into a small field but during the landing roll the nose wheel buckled after striking rough ground and the aircraft flipped on its back.

The catastrophic failure of the windscreen could have been caused by a number of things such as bird strike, faulty plexiglass or a collision with a drone.

However, there was no tell-tale evidence of feathers/blood/bones etc so a bird strike was ruled out.

And given that structural failures of plexiglass windscreens in Foxbat aircraft are almost unheard of that leaves open the probability of a drone strike.

Subsequent to the accident I learnt that drones are regularly flown in the area where it occurred, to the extent that local helicopter pilots were concerned for their own safety.

Also the damage to the windscreen suggests that it was struck by something that was travelling at right angles to my flight path - shards of plexiglass were later found on the ground below the impact point.

The consensus among my flying friends is that a drone was to blame but I guess we'll never be able to prove it conclusively.

I think it most unlikely someone will admit to flying a drone that brought down an aircraft! 

Ok make my "Ouch" in the previous post a "Triple Ouch". :)

Sounds like it could be a good article in an "Aopa Pilot" or "Flying" Magazine.  Have you considered writing one? I read that kind of thing regularly.

Ouch indeed @cyberpilot.....but good to see you got down safe, even if the Foxbat has seen its last days.

We've had a few close calls near us as well; I remember flying back from Rottnest Island a while back and someone on the radio saying they'd been hit by a drone as they were heading back in, over a local beach.  Right now I seriously think that this is one of the biggest risks to us in GA at the moment; drones aren't being policed properly, and it seems like anyone can just buy one online without any thought to the dangers they create... it should be illegal to fly a drone anywhere near an ALA or any access point into an ALA. I'd definitely be interested in reading the article...

Beautiful shot @Adam Banks as always :)

Terry

Archived