Cruising in to celebrate the Year of the Dog

Stillwater

Oh, so sorry, I am late, just too much work to finish... but finally I can take flight SQ 828 from Changi to Pudong:

2018-2-16_18-2WSSS.jpg

Make sure the right luggage is loaded.

2018-2-16_18-19-13-330.jpg

Taking off out of Singapore...

2018-2-16_18-41-39-724.jpg
2018-2-16_18-42Singapore.jpg

... into the usual clouds, even at 07:30 in the morning.

2018-2-16_18-45-51-583.jpg

Here we are already over China, near Xiamen...

2018-2-16_19-52Xiamen.jpg

... and over Taishun county.

2018-2-16_20-3Taishuncounty.jpg

That´s what the paxes usually see here. No Orbx scenery detectable (but it is there!).

2018-2-16_20-12-50-767.jpg

Into holding at NW of Pudong airport...
2018-2-16_20-35HoldatPVG.jpg

... and finally into final, towards the 35R.

2018-2-16_20-50intofinal.jpg
2018-2-16_20-57final35R.jpg

A little offset...

2018-2-16_20-58offset.jpg

UT Live is doing its job. Very satisfying.

2018-2-16_21-6UTlive.jpg
2018-2-16_21-11ZSPD.jpg

Now let´s celebrate Chinese New Year!

Thanks for watching & commenting, @MZee1960, @adambar, @Iain Emms and @stewart1 !

20 hours ago, paulb said:

Great flight Gerold! That looks like a good landing to me! :)

Some years ago I was in Hong Kong for the Chinese New Year. Very colourful with amazing lights on some of the buildings.

Like the saying goes: A good landing is one you can walk away from.

Must be a great experience to see these celebration in a city like that one.

20 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Super flight Gerold. Pic #4 was the best one! Great set all the way though :)

Thank you Landon. The lights & colors with p3d are a real improvement to the 32 bit sim before.

19 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Lovely flight Gerold.  You sure are the globetrotter! 

Thank, Jack. You remind me I need to add some more RL salt into my postings. Will do!

8 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Great set of screenies with my favourite airline, Gerold ;)

Gong Xi Fa Chai

Ganbei, Bernd, glad you like the shots. And no surprise you like this airline... B)

Excellent images from your flight Gerold.

Some wonderful scenery in the air and on the ground too.:)

I hope they didn't keep you poodling around to long waiting to land.:wacko:

Be careful you don't hound ATC too much asking to land or your voice will get a little husky.:wacko::wacko:

9 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Be careful you don't hound ATC too much asking to land or your voice will get a little husky.:wacko::wacko:

:lol:  The punster strikes again!  I wonder if this dog's bark is worse that its bite?  

54 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

:lol:  The punster strikes again!  I wonder if this dog's bark is worse that its bite?  

I don´t see big chances for dogs to bite in this country. They say, Chinese eat everything with 4 legs except tables :unsure:...

10 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Thank you Martyn. Especially for your animalic explanations for the usual long detours at Pudong in the air and on the ground.

The after-landing taxi procedure in the sim was very realistic this time: landing on 35R means west of the terminal and to the north. Star alliance has to park east of the terminal, and the only way to taxi there is south of the terminal buildings. In reality this often takes about 30 minutes, plus the circling in the air you can easily build up 1 hr delay on the last 5 miles of a flight.

41 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

Superb pictures Gerold, especially no. 3, 7, and 12.

Just a hint, don't use the white bar to disconnect the autopilot (I read it somewhere over at the PMDG forums), use the yoke switch instead.

Thanks for your compliments - and the detailed comment, Lars.

I have the Saitek X52 programmed in that way, that I can engage / disengage autothrottle with it. The latter I do just after touchdown.

For deactivating the autopilot I always go to the MCP view, disable both FDs, then press the white bar (usually twice to get it up again), activate the FDs and cancel the warning. As I usually do this approx. 1000 ft above ground level, I´ve got time enough to do so. This time I only forgot to flip the bar back up...

24 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Thanks for your compliments - and the detailed comment, Lars.

I have the Saitek X52 programmed in that way, that I can engage / disengage autothrottle with it. The latter I do just after touchdown.

For deactivating the autopilot I always go to the MCP view, disable both FDs, then press the white bar (usually twice to get it up again), activate the FDs and cancel the warning. As I usually do this approx. 1000 ft above ground level, I´ve got time enough to do so. This time I only forgot to flip the bar back up...

Tbh, I had no idea what the white bar is exactly for, because I didn't bother to "rtfm". :wacko: It seems that it's primary purpose is to inhibit any automatical engagement of the A/P. Normally one uses the switches on the yoke (well, physically and virtually, since it's a switch on the left side of the yoke of your PMDG, right below the elevator trim switches). It's in the "key commands" section / PMDG options on your CDU and called "disconnect autopilot (strg+shift+z)". You probably need FSUIPC to map it to your Saitek.

There's no need to disconnect the FDs, so that when you're in the situation that you have to execute a go-around, your machine will have everything ready and set up as soon as you switch AP on again. You also don't need to disconnect the A/T after touchdown when you decide to fly the approach with A/T engaged. A/T will allow you to idle power just before touchdown and will disengage automatically.

2 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Tbh, I had no idea what the white bar is exactly for, because I didn't bother to "rtfm". :wacko: It seems that it's primary purpose is to inhibit any automatical engagement of the A/P. Normally one uses the switches on the yoke (well, physically and virtually, since it's a switch on the left side of the yoke of your PMDG, right below the elevator trim switches). It's in the "key commands" section / PMDG options on your CDU and called "disconnect autopilot (strg+shift+z)". You probably need FSUIPC to map it to your Saitek.

There's no need to disconnect the FDs, so that when you're in the situation that you have to execute a go-around, your machine will have everything ready and set up as soon as you switch AP on again. You also don't need to disconnect the A/T after touchdown when you decide to fly the approach with A/T engaged. A/T will allow you to idle power just before touchdown and will disengage automatically.

Hmmm, that sounds like some happy trial & test period with a slightly complicated plane... I hope I can find a shortcut in saving an appropriate situation.

4 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

100% correct sir!  I used to work these in "real" life.

18 hours ago, BradB said:

I hope I'm not to late to celebrate these fine shots Gerold . :D:rolleyes::)

Cheers

John

If you want to party, you can never be too late. OK, you may have to BYO, as I ran out of stock in the meantime. But great to see you here, and... thanks, John!

15 hours ago, Sammy H said:

Absolutely a smashing set here Gerold.  SQ is one of my favorite liveries to run in the sim.  Lovely set!

Thank you, Sammy. Sorry I could not take shots from the inside or the cabin crew - it is not only the livery that makes this plane great...!

19 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

If you want to party, you can never be too late. OK, you may have to BYO, as I ran out of stock in the meantime. But great to see you here, and... thanks, John!

Thank you, Sammy. Sorry I could not take shots from the inside or the cabin crew - it is not only the livery that makes this plane great...!

Odd isn't it?  We have study level planes lie this with no interior but eye-candy planes like the Carenados but no happy medium.

12 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Odd isn't it?  We have study level planes lie this with no interior but eye-candy planes like the Carenados but no happy medium.

I do not worry about that. If they were showing me the inside of a SQ cabin, I would never go back into the cockpit :D!

11 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Maybe we can consider the Captain Sim planes as the "happy medium" ones, Jack. I love the interiors/panels of their B 707 and 727, but they sure are no study level planes 

2 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

I do not worry about that. If they were showing me the inside of a SQ cabin, I would never go back into the cockpit :D!

What's an SQ cabin?

1 minute ago, bernd1151 said:

Maybe we can consider the Captain Sim planes as the "happy medium" ones, Jack. I love the interiors/panels of their B 707 and 727, but they sure are no study level planes 

Don't know if I have a Captain Sim plane.  I'd absolutely love a PMDG 727 or L-1011, all study level. 

Just now, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Bernd, I wonder what SQ stands for, is this like first class?  I read that Singapore Airlines' service is second to none.

SQ is the code for Singapore Airlines, just as LH is the one for Lufthansa. No idea, what the Q stands for. And yes, as Gerold and I have experienced many times, once you have flown with them, there is no turning back ;)

2 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

SQ is the code for Singapore Airlines, just as LH is the one for Lufthansa. No idea, what the Q stands for. And yes, as Gerold and I have experienced many times, once you have flown with them, there is no turning back ;)

Thanks Bernd!  I never knew that.  Maybe someday I could fly on them, too bad the rest of the airline industry couldn't emulate their service.

28 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

No idea, what the Q stands for. And yes, as Gerold and I have experienced many times, once you have flown with them, there is no turning back ;)

Probably the Q stands for Quality... :D.

The only turning back comes when you fly on routes they don´t serve. :(

59 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

Then you ought to try the just released Maddog MD-82, Jack. I heard it is even better as study level plane than PMDG

Been thinking about it.  Probably will but I have a hopeful hunch Orbx might release another scenery soon.  I have more than enough planes but love Otbx stuff.

On 21.2.2018 at 1:22 AM, Rick@YMEN said:

A great set here......shot 4 is stunning with the airport and cloud backdrop.

Thank you, Rick. The views during takeoff were all great, so I took many screenshots. Good to hear that I selected the right one!

On 21.2.2018 at 2:12 AM, Wakashi said:

Now that’s a high flying set of shots Gerold, good job all round! :D

Thanks, Roger. A great flight, with no fear of VAS-OOM. The new time is fantastic.

Archived