I finally did it.....all 667GB of it..........

Triplane

I have a feeling you will find FSX isnt worth the hard drive space in a year or less as almost all the great addons have moved over. So have fun exploring and realize you might have a lot more available space later than you do now ;)

Hello.

I do wish that there were no posts like this.

FSX is far from finished and P3D v4 is far from perfect.

I will not be removing FSX any time soon, it looks good, performs well and runs

around 500 dollars worth of aircraft that I would have to buy again at the full price

to see in P3D v4.

Not to mention the excellent ones that will never be P3D v4 ready because there is

no more development going on.

Very true. My post wasnt to say there is no reason for either but that perhaps in a year or less, one wouldnt need a full collection of everything for two platforms. That once hdd space starts to shrink, one might realize they use certain addons in one and not/never the other and would have the room to keep adding new items without have to get a larger hd by just customizing what addons go where as they find they use them.

Yes it was tilted more towards the idea that FSX would be second fiddle but only in the fact that it might be more of redundancy as most addons are seeing equal support. The idea of rebuying the same addon to move to a different  platform never crossed my mind.  

4 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello.

I do wish that there were no posts like this.

FSX is far from finished and P3D v4 is far from perfect.

I will not be removing FSX any time soon, it looks good, performs well and runs

around 500 dollars worth of aircraft that I would have to buy again at the full price

to see in P3D v4.

Not to mention the excellent ones that will never be P3D v4 ready because there is

no more development going on.

Well said and very succinct as usual. Totally agree Nick!

6 hours ago, Kilstorm said:

I have a feeling you will find FSX isnt worth the hard drive space in a year or less as almost all the great addons have moved over. So have fun exploring and realize you might have a lot more available space later than you do now ;)

That's not going to happen in my lifetime. Over the last 10 years I've managed to accumulate 585GB of addons for FSX. That includes 244 aircraft products, 172 ORBX scenery products (that's all of them), and 403 other scenery products. I find flying with FSX just as satisfying as flying with P3D. I'm much more interested in navigation  and procedures than I am eye-candy. In fact, the only reason I  bought P3Dv4  is to get out of the OOM problem(s) when flying long distances using complex aircraft and airport scenery. FSX, for me, is here to stay (and I don't think I'm alone). I believe Nick has it right............Doug

12 minutes ago, Triplane said:

In fact, the only reason I  bought P3Dv4  is to get out of the OOM problem(s) when flying long distances using complex aircraft and airport scenery............Doug

I rest my point. If you know you are going to do a flight that will give you an OOM in FSX and you have the same addons in P3Dv4, what is the most likely choice of how you would do that flight. Then as time goes on you find that to be the case and you are ready to add more to your collection you might find that you have your FSX addons and you have your P3D addons and you might not need them all on both.

For myself, I am moving all my PNW/SCA addons to v4 because I could never fly there and not get an OOM  in P3Dv3/v2/FSX. However, my Central and Northern Rockies and all those addon fields never give me an issue and they will be last to move with no rush. PNG, love those fields never an OOM no rush. So yes while I could load up both I am just determining that I will move it, reduce or delete it for space before feeling I need to have all of it and worry about running out of space.

All the same, its a great feeling to final get past the install/update and configure phase and be able to just enjoy so as a fellow simmer with an equal addiction for addons...heres to many many great flights ahead!

Although I have only FSX, it's obvious that many of our Forum readers have moved over to P3D. Most seem to like what they have found, but no one seems to be saying that P3d is such an advance that it's a must -- unlike the jump from FS9 to FSX, where the consensus developed rather rapidly that FSX really was a leap forward. So my vote is that it not be seen as an "either or" question but rather as a simple matter of personal preference. Both are good products, so take your pick and fly happily.

Rodger,

There have been plenty of posts by folks who have switched over to P3D from FSX and who have said they are never going back to FSX.  Granted, their flying habits, flying the complex aircraft on long flights, etc., dictate their choice, but it seems those simmers have indeed said P3D is a leap forward, at least for them.  I, for one, am running both, each on its own SSD, so duplication of airports, sceneries, and airplanes is not a factor space-wise.  Some of my FSX airplanes will probably never be converted to P3D, which is too bad, but, like Nick, I'll be using both sims for the near future for the same reasons as he.

I moved based on promises for my planes and scenery to be compatible.

7+ months later the planes are coming as brand new releases (for new $) and they have been delayed well.. at this point nobody knows. scenery has never been addressed and some of my favourite spots are just broken. devs are silent.

now the 787 comes out for fsx. prepar 4.1 just came out and it again broke some things. basically, in a nutshell, I got tired of the broken promises of upgrades and the lackluster changes Lockheed is making. back to fsx for the time being. your mileage may vary based on what you fly and where of course

I also wasn't happy about paying for the P3D4 upgrade (again) for many addons. But I once ran FS9 and FSX alongside and also FSX and P3D2 later. And I swore that having two platforms was something I would never do again because this way I've spent more time keeping the sims at the same working level than with flying.

Shame for the good FSX addons that weren't upgraded, but I thought you can't have it all! So I've moved to P3D4 now and still have the feeling there is more good addon stuff than you can ever fly with: For P3D4 alone a 500GB SSD wasn't enough. It's split over two of them now.

But everybody knows what is best for himself.

7 hours ago, Kilstorm said:

All the same, its a great feeling to final get past the install/update and configure phase and be able to just enjoy so as a fellow simmer with an equal addiction for addons...heres to many many great flights ahead!

Blue skies...............

Well I have to agree 100% with the earlier post from Nick.

In my case I have two 1TB SSDs dedicated to each of FSX and P3Dv4. 

I really enjoy P3Dv4 - it is the future (for a while at least!), OOMs are almost gone, the LOD radius is much improved and generally I feel that it is capable of handling more detail than FSX can manage.

I really enjoy FSX - mine works fine and looks very good. Most importantly, I can fly aircraft in it which will never (IMHO) be released for P3Dv4 including some FS9 port overs which just do not work in P3D. I like variety (yes I know butterfly minded!) and FSX gives me this.

The great thing is that we all have choice - we can have one or the other or both! It doesn't matter, it is all about what gives us as individuals the most enjoyment ;) :).

Archived