New forum up vote/like system question.

Jack Sawyer

Kind of puzzling to me, it seems to have changed over the last several days, I think yesterday or the day before there was a trophy icon and now the last two days there's a heart and some emoticons.  So what is the difference between an up vote or the heart icon?

Sorry, I just was a little confused, I like it, but am curious.

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Ben McClintock said:

Hi Jack,

This was another feature that came with the forum software update.

"Like", "haha" and "upvote" increase the reputation of the poster. "Confused" and "sad" keep the poster's reputation the same.

The heart and upvote are effectively the same :)

Ben

Thanks for clarifying this Ben!  I appreciate it, and you get a heart from me.  But what happened to the trophy of just a few days ago?

6 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Ben, so let me ask one more dumb question, we only get to pick one?

Yes, you can only pick one per post

6 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

By the way, I really love the new design overall.  It's faster, elegant, and streamlined. 

The forum software update also coincided with a few other things:

• The forum is now hosted in Council Bluffs, Iowa instead of Australia
  • Forum resources such as images are now loaded using a content distribution network (the same CDN we use for FTXC) instead of being downloaded directly from the server
  • The underlying server is more powerful and is dedicated to the forum only
  • We're using server-side caching now so topics/categories should generally load faster

All of these combined should result in a much faster experience on the forums.

9 minutes ago, Ben McClintock said:

• Forum resources such as images are now loaded using a content distribution network (the same CDN we use for FTXC) instead of being downloaded directly from the server
  • We're using server-side caching now so topics/categories should generally load faster

Well, thanks Ben but what you said might make sense to those here but since I don't know much about IT it looks like ancient Mesopotamian to me. :D

But it all sounds good, I like the looks of it though, and many thanks for taking the time to respond! 

19 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I have to admit, Ben is quite the guy!  He and Orbx do outstanding work, and, this is my favorite site on the internet.

The team all do a fantastic job to enhance our pastime.

My most visited site too.

So much useful info, as well as the parts of the site to participate in.

Our pastime would be unimaginable with out ORBX.

Yep, I visit here at least twice a day, also.

Three reasons.

1. To see the latest posts from Jack.

2. To checkout the latest screenshots. (All are better than mine)

3. To see if the announcements ever say, "You guys with the DVD's, that you didn't buy from us, can now be allowed to load them into P3D.". ( Coming up on a year now I've been waiting.)

1 minute ago, jmbiii said:

Yep, I visit here at least twice a day, also.

Three reasons.

1. To see the latest posts from Jack.

2. To checkout the latest screenshots. (All are better than mine)

3. To see if the announcements ever say, "You guys with the DVD's, that you didn't buy from us, can now be allowed to load them into P3D.". ( Coming up on a year now I've been waiting.)

:wub::D

This is hands down my favorite website...I am on this site easily for 6-8 hours a day...no kidding. And that's without me ever accessing it on my phone, which I generally don't do. I love this forum, and as much as it pains me to admit, all my fellow sim junkies on here are like my global extended family. It's like I have brothers in Australia, cousins in Italy and Germany, uncles and nephews in the U.K....and, of course there are extended flight sim family members scattered all over in more obscure places....and it's all thanks to Orbx and this website....awesome work Ben! :D 

EDIT: I should add that I almost forgot that crazy cousin, or uncle?...not sure...but the one down in Georgia that loves yellow and flies upside down. Not sure if he is legitimately part of the family, or just someone that showed up one day long ago and claimed his spot, and we just all accepted him because, well, he's special :D :D :lol:

3 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

This is hands down my favorite website...I am on this site easily for 6-8 hours a day...no kidding. And that's without me ever accessing it on my phone, which I generally don't do. I love this forum, and as much as it pains me to admit, all my fellow sim junkies on here are like my global extended family. It's like I have brothers in Australia, cousins in Italy and Germany, uncles and nephews in the U.K....and, of course there are extended flight sim family members scattered all over in more obscure places....and it's all thanks to Orbx and this website....awesome work Ben! :D 

EDIT: I should add that I almost forgot that crazy cousin, or uncle?...not sure...but the one down in Georgia that loves yellow and flies upside down. Not sure if he is legitimately part of the family, or just someone that showed up one day long ago and claimed his spot, and we just all accepted him because, well, he's special :D :D :lol:

+1 for that! :) this is by far the friendliest forum that I visit. I find it a stress free pleasure visiting.  Some great friends here. ;)

1 hour ago, paulb said:

+1 for that! :) this is by far the friendliest forum that I visit. I find it a stress free pleasure visiting.  Some great friends here. ;)

Agreed. This is also my most-visited website, and I can fully agree to the purposes mentioned above.

I think this successful forum is a key to orbx economical development.

Yep, I have to agree with the sentiments building up here. I keep a tab open on the forum all the time my machine is on, and dip in and out fairly constantly. I've learned a hell of a lot about the sim environment on here, and although I'm basically anti-social I also get a strangely friendly vibe here! Only problem really is that coming here so regularly has cost me a fortune in scenery and 'planes <grin>. (and as you can see, I can't quite bring myself to use emoticons - first step on the slippery slope down to facebook and twitter, which I consider to be the outermost circles of the underworld)

2 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Yep, I have to agree with the sentiments building up here. I keep a tab open on the forum all the time my machine is on, and dip in and out fairly constantly. I've learned a hell of a lot about the sim environment on here, and although I'm basically anti-social I also get a strangely friendly vibe here! Only problem really is that coming here so regularly has cost me a fortune in scenery and 'planes <grin>. (and as you can see, I can't quite bring myself to use emoticons - first step on the slippery slope down to facebook and twitter, which I consider to be the outermost circles of the underworld)

I agree with you Andy!  ;) About the slippery slope :oBut it's ok to use emoticons :D  I love :wub: using them! :)

17 hours ago, Ben McClintock said:

I think that this update is absolutely great.  Very clean, crisp, and quite cheerful to view.  Everything stands out, cleanly from off of the off-white forum background. Very nice!

Archived