Ultrawide Outback

Jordan King

That is a beautiful shot.

On ‎24‎/‎4‎/‎2560 at 5:31 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

Excellent Jordan!  I thought the Outback was barren and lifeless.  I guess I stand corrected.  There's so much I don't know about it.  I bought it a while ago and haven't made any real flights down under.

G'day Jack, the outback is barren and lifeless with the very occasional oasis such as this. If you take a flight in any direction out of Alice you will see nothing but red sand and spinifex. If you haven't brought Alice springs airport yet it is well worth having.:)

6 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

That is a beautiful shot.

G'day Jack, the outback is barren and lifeless with the very occasional oasis such as this. If you take a flight in any direction out of Alice you will see nothing but red sand and spinifex. If you haven't brought Alice springs airport yet it is well worth having.:)

I'll have to look up what spinifex is.  Soon I'm going to be buying the entire Orbx catalog of Oz.  I want 'em all.  Then Ill be spending all my time exploring Down Under.  Looking forward to it Martyn!  I remember when CD's first came out for PC, you know with data on them and not music.  I think one of the very first ones was a presentation called "From Ocean To Alice."  That was way back in the 90's?

Jack, just up the road from Alice is the geographical centre of Australia. So to get to the ocean you will need a fast plane or plenty of time. Remember too that the airports are a long way apart here too away from the populated areas.

I am sure you are going to enjoy it.

5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Jack, just up the road from Alice is the geographical centre of Australia. So to get to the ocean you will need a fast plane or plenty of time. Remember too that the airports are a long way apart here too away from the populated areas.

I am sure you are going to enjoy it.

Thanks to Stew for posting that map link.  I took one look at it and said holy moley, this is a huge place.  I think it's the same size as the States.  It seems to me by looking at real maps that most of the population is along the coasts.  Is life really that harsh in the middle of the country?  Since I was a kid I've always marveled over Australia, it's an island continent, it has kangaroos, it's huge, it has a lot of great white sharks, and everything, even the ants are poisonous!  But I fell in love with an Australian girl that visited a friend once, she was not only beautiful but I loved her accent.  Ah, youth.

But I have my short list for today Martyn as:

YBCS

YHBA

YMML

YBAS

Any recommendations?  Because I'm about to buy something today.  Like now...:)

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks to Stew for posting that map link.  I took one look at it and said holy moley, this is a huge place.  I think it's the same size as the States.  It seems to me by looking at real maps that most of the population is along the coasts.  Is life really that harsh in the middle of the country?  Since I was a kid I've always marveled over Australia, it's an island continent, it has kangaroos, it's huge, it has a lot of great white sharks, and everything, even the ants are poisonous!  But I fell in love with an Australian girl that visited a friend once, she was not only beautiful but I loved her accent.  Ah, youth.

But I have my short list for today Martyn as:

YBCS

YHBA

YMML

YBAS

Any recommendations?  Because I'm about to buy something today.  Like now...:)

Am I dreaming or is there a 47% sale on over May;)

You have chosen some excellent airports Jack but there again they are all worth getting over the next month.

Have a look on your map and find their locations then make your choice as to where you want to fly.

Tasmania has some excellent scenery and is quite compact compared with the other states.

Australia is vast. It took  8 1/2 hours to fly from Melbourne to Bangkok last week, about 4 hours before we reached the coast near to Broome. Once we left Victoria it was virtually desert all the way. Lots of nasty poisonous ugly bitey things here in Australia and that is only the people.:o. Then there are the fish, reptiles,insects, snakes and spiders. We have a deadly octopus and shellfish so beware when you land your plane and watch your step.:ph34r:

10 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Am I dreaming or is there a 47% sale on over May;)

You have chosen some excellent airports Jack but there again they are all worth getting over the next month.

Have a look on your map and find their locations then make your choice as to where you want to fly.

Tasmania has some excellent scenery and is quite compact compared with the other states.

Australia is vast. It took  8 1/2 hours to fly from Melbourne to Bangkok last week, about 4 hours before we reached the coast near to Broome. Once we left Victoria it was virtually desert all the way. Lots of nasty poisonous ugly bitey things here in Australia and that is only the people.:o. Then there are the fish, reptiles,insects, snakes and spiders. We have a deadly octopus and shellfish so beware when you land your plane and watch your step.:ph34r:

First, wow!  All those critters!

I just bought and am downloading seven airports.  The wife wants me to get more through May as she loves sales.

So it'll be a while before I can fly as they're downloading now.

It is huge.  And it looks like unlike the US where you can't walk a mile without an airport, you trip over the darned things, Australia looks rather thin for airports?  Even little ones?

I wish more than anything I could visit.  I can even fly for free, but my health and finances preclude it.  

Archived