Suggestion for ORBX

rockliffe

This is just a small suggestion, but when I want to buy an airport, I may not be completely aware of exactly where it is geographically or in fact it's position in relation to other Orbx payware airports. My suggestion would be to add a small map of the airport's location. It simply needs to be a red circle or something similar. All the other Orbx payware airports could be in an opposite colour. This way, when a customer wants to purchase another airport, they can immediately see where it is. Just a thought :D

1 hour ago, Chunk said:

When you click on the map tab on the airports product page, it shows where all of the airports are located.

Sure Chunk, but that's not my suggestion. I don't know where Parry Sound is, Sedona, Eagle County, or in fact many of the airports. i often want to see their position in relation to other airports. It's a massive faff if I have to start trying to scour the map you mentioned to try and find out where it is.

Far better, if on the FlightSim store, there is a map on the product page that easily shows it's location. That is something that can be seen within seconds.

43 minutes ago, Dadtom65 said:

Yes but you just said, it shows all airports, not just the one you whant to buy. I agree with rockliffe, it sounds like a cracking idea. Derek.

Exactly.

36 minutes ago, spud said:

Like this map?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=16TLldaoxxmFv7wOWfYyM8zV-bgM

Now if they were listed alphabetically instead of by ICAO or you could sort them to alpha.

No Spud!

9 minutes ago, DesertPilot said:

Just in case this is of any help:  https://www.fullterrain.com/locations

Not fully up to date, though...PAVD isn't pinpointed on this map yet.

No!

1 hour ago, DesertPilot said:

Not the map Rockcliff wants and this link is to another copy of the map in my link.  But its not up to date as DesertPilot says.  However PAVD has been added to the map in my link:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=16TLldaoxxmFv7wOWfYyM8zV-bgM

I think that's a splendid idea. While I own all airports now, I have been always looking for airports nearby first for GA flying. Rockliffe's map also shows nice geographical detail, while I would name the nearby airports (by name and ICAO), too.

I would also enjoy such a map regularly in the preview threads. While I happen to know where Innsbruck is, I've never been in the majority of the US airports in my life and often have to Google to get an idea in which corner of the world this or that airport is situated. 

I could well imagine this to generate a few additional sales, btw.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi guys,

that feature is already available with the FTX website map. Currently though, one needs to open the sidebar menu (leftmost symbol) and then find the airport in the list before the map jumps to and highlights that specific airport. Perhaps this could be done somehow automatically when loading the map from a given airport's product page...

Cheers, Holger

FTX Website map with KBVS highlighted.jpg

9 minutes ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi guys,

that feature is already available with the FTX website map. Currently though, one needs to open the sidebar menu (leftmost symbol) and then find the airport in the list before the map jumps to and highlights that specific airport. Perhaps this could be done somehow automatically when loading the map from a given airport's product page...

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger, sure, but it's a bit of a faff, and it's not as straightforward as a simple photograph on the product page :) 

Me as a teacher for geography would say, do your exercises and you'll find the airport in question by your own. Actually it's not too many airports per region to master this task. 

So no fancy tool needed here IMO.

A photograph on the product page would need to be maintained as other nearby airports are added.  Might sound simple but these things can quickly overwhelm a website manager and then the site starts to appear as not looked after.

Holger's idea about a link to that map from the product page, that also calls up the airport, is the only manageable solution I can think of to implement such an idea.  It is up to the ORBX programmers to decide if the coding effort is worth it.  :-)

Do you also look for pre-digested food when you go to the supermarket so not to have the "massive faff" to chew  :P ? Half the fun of buying a new scenery is doing a Google Earth and Wikipedia research also using the excellent map Spud referred to.

1 hour ago, Remko said:

I posted a similar idea, see here for John's response. 

Cheers

Remko

Sure, that is an excellent idea Remko, but more involved than what I am proposing. I think too many are overthinking my suggestion. Which is simply a photograph of the airport in relation to others in close proximity.

Surely the idea is to try and get the consumer interested in the product.....so to show him how it might fit in with what he already has without any faffing about must be a good idea? 

Not that I ever buy airports (well, I've purchased two in Stapleford and Shoreham) but I have to say the suggestion is an excellent one.

21 hours ago, DesertPilot said:

thanks for the link.  I had forgotten about it.

Holger - good idea.

Rockcliffe - good idea also.  ive always wanted something more obvious.

pmb - I agree.

It needs only be a simple photo, stashed in among all the other photos on the product page.  Not an unreasonable ask -- and it is, after all, a nice selling point, for those airports are relatively near other airports in the area, or other attractions that might be worth exploring in our virtual world.

5 hours ago, Ripcord said:

It needs only be a simple photo, stashed in among all the other photos on the product page.  Not an unreasonable ask -- and it is, after all, a nice selling point, for those airports are relatively near other airports in the area, or other attractions that might be worth exploring in our virtual world.

That's exactly how I imagined it :)

4 hours ago, Ben McClintock said:

I like this idea. I've added this to my task list, it will probably be done after launch sometime :)

Another thing that I've always wanted to do is show the .kml files for regions embedded in the page somewhere.

You're a top man Ben! :D:D

On 10/18/2016 at 3:38 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi guys,

Cheers, Holger

1 minute ago, ifrevets said:

that feature is already available with the FTX website map. Currently though, one needs to open the sidebar menu (leftmost symbol)

Hi Holger

How do I get to the FTX website map? I don't see a sidebar menu.

ftx website.JPG

On 10/18/2016 at 7:41 PM, John Dow said:

A photograph on the product page would need to be maintained as other nearby airports are added.  Might sound simple but these things can quickly overwhelm a website manager and then the site starts to appear as not looked after.

Holger's idea about a link to that map from the product page, that also calls up the airport, is the only manageable solution I can think of to implement such an idea.  It is up to the ORBX programmers to decide if the coding effort is worth it.  :-)

I thought Rockliffe's suggestion was perfect until I read this. And you are right. But...

Instead of posting a picture on the product page, embed the dynamic map, already zoomed to the airport location. It will always be up-to-date. I know it is possible to do this in an HTML page, not sure about FTX Central.

I think this could indeed result in more purchases, as you are immediately be shown nearby ORBX products without having to click away.

Archived