Pure NZ!

Adam Banks

I got a nice surprise yesterday when fiddling with FTX Central. It told me NZSI / NZNI were available for P3Dv3! Off to FSS I went: 6Gb re-download and a short while later I was all set,.

I'm obviously very biased,  but I think FTX NZ is an absolute masterpiece. I'm so delighted to see it in all its glory in my new(ish) P3Dv3 - where I can ramp all the sliders to maximum and still fly!

If I had to cut it down to just the one pic, it'd have to be this one. It says it all! Coromandel Peninsula.

quad_nz_01_34_1350.jpg

But ... I started off at NZAR - so here's one of my favourite coastal areas. 

quad_nz_02_433_1350.jpg

quad_nz_03_294_1350.jpg

Back to the Coromandel again ...

quad_nz_05_858_1350.jpg

quad_nz_04_0_1350.jpg

After that I headed south. This is near Picton, at the top end of NZSI:

quad_nz_08_142_1350.jpg

No quad NZMF yet, so the Marlborough Sounds will have to do!

quad_nz_06_195_1350.jpg

quad_nz_07_363_1350.jpg

Picton again ...

quad_nz_09_767_1350.jpg

From what I've seen of this gorgeous country in RL, ORBX have definitely nailed it. So much of it is "just right" - from the coastlines, tidal areas, mountains to vegetation - they all create the atmosphere of NZ so well. Congratulations, once again, to the ORBX team that put these two together. All your painstaking work is being enjoyed on a daily basis.

With the sale now on and Christmas coming up, I'd say NZNI/NZSI should be hard to resist - most definitely if you're in (about to be in) P3Dv3, as its frame rate and subtle lighting effects really make an area like NZ come to life.

Adam.

BTW: No issues with either the install(s) or FTX Central. Just a breeze!

32 minutes ago, VAL067 said:

So i take it you are a happy camper with P3D v3 ..was sort of delaying it due to a recent reinstall of 2.5 ..and the cost.

Absolutely - yes - I love it :wub:. Shame you got 2.5 not that long ago. If you have the HD space, you can install P3Dv3 alongside the old one (I still have mine active). This makes it easier to manually transfer liveries etc. Some of my older/legacy aircraft (many originally from FSX) needed manual transfers of effects/gauges etc. so it's handy to have it all available. Many installers pick up the old registration info and all you do is point it at the new P3Dv3 path. However - most of the newer P3Dv2 aircraft I had tended to want to remove the old version first. No big deal, so long as you back up your liveries (which *ought* to remain there, but just in case).

Despite doing some pretty horrid things to P3Dv3 (*ancient* add-on aircraft etc.), it's not missed a beat. Quite impressive, really. Performance is way better - honest.

One thing I did do (and would recommend most people to do) was to keep a detailed log of all your add-on installs as you go - describing any manual tweaks you had to employ. That way you can retrace your steps if you ever have to do a reinstall - or roll back a few steps if one of the later add-ons gave you grief.

Adam.

Thanks for the nice comments, folks!

Nice one Adam, hope your PC is still living up to the challenge ;)

Love those shots.

Should get you round once Oculus CV1 Rift is available and working, i'm sure it will be even more immersive than the DK2 I've been using.

Cheers,

Kelvin (Auckland)

3 hours ago, Kelvinnz said:

Nice one Adam, hope your PC is still living up to the challenge ;)

Should get you round once Oculus CV1 Rift is available and working, i'm sure it will be even more immersive than the DK2 I've been using.

Well - it's not the fastest on the block - and I do love slideshows LOL!

I'll PM you!

Thanks also to the additional comments chaps - more pics on the way soon!!!

Adam.

I wonder if there was anything changed with the new installer? I have my NZNI and NZSI installed in P3Dv3 using the migration tool. Do you think, it is necessary to redownload both islands with their v3 installer or would this change nothing? I also realized that I did not receive any update notification in Central v2 recently...

12 hours ago, AnkH said:

I wonder if there was anything changed with the new installer? I have my NZNI and NZSI installed in P3Dv3 using the migration tool. Do you think, it is necessary to redownload both islands with their v3 installer or would this change nothing? I also realized that I did not receive any update notification in Central v2 recently...

I've never used the migration tool. I simply point the installers at the new v3 folder. I'd certainly recommend re-downloading the new files and installing them normally. Maybe the reason FTX Central didn't notify you was because the old install was done using the migration tool <??>. 

20 hours ago, frostynz said:

I got my licence in ZK-TAS Adam ................. around 2001/2 from memory

ZK-TAS is one of my favourites froim the Ardmore Flying School. I spent an afternoon there, just photographing all of them! Couldn't resist a quick joy-ride in one of them at the end ZK-TAQ I think). I love the C-172s. 

Here's some more!!!

The CS B707 on the way to Wellington:

quad_nzni_01_820_1350.jpg

quad_nzni_02_975_1350.jpg

The Majestic Q400 (Pro) - a real RTFM aircraft - on its way to Whangarei (NZWR):

quad_nzni_03_156_1350.jpg

Adam.

P3Dv3 installers/updates have just come out for the JF Electra and F-27 Friendship, so a good excuse to blast the forum with yet more NZ shots!

Ardmore retro flight take-off. That's not autumn trees colouring - it's an generous smattering of Pohutakawas (ready to bloom for Christmas):

nzni_quad_f27_01_294_1350.jpg

Lake Taupo:

nzni_quad_f27_02_75_1350.jpg

Mt Tongariro

nzni_quad_f27_03_77_1350.jpg

Ruapehu in cloud:

nzni_quad_f27_05_679_1350.jpg

On to South Island - Lake Wanaka

nzsi_quad_electra_01_822_1350.jpg

nzsi_quad_electra_03_772_1350.jpg

There's almost nowhere you can go in NZNI/NZSI without seeing really nice subtle touches. A lot of attention to detail - and a pleasure to explore.

Adam.

2 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Some of the best P3Dv3 shots I've seen, bravo!

Thanks, John! Credit where credit's due - the team really did pull out the stops on those two areas! I hope they get a good Christmas bonus :lol:!

What may not be apparent with all these screenshots (from all of us here in the forum) is just how much *enjoyment* these areas give us.

Also, I have to say (again) that P3Dv3 makes it easy. Less time fiddling/tweaking more time with that virtual camera. You know that feeling you get with every alternate version of Windows being good (and the ones in-between being absolute dogs!) - P3Dv3 just has the feel that "it's going to be a good one".

Adam.

Archived