P3Dv3 - Bloomin' wonderful!

Adam Banks

I'd like to add my comments/views/screenshots to the ever-growing set of posts about P3Dv3.

First: it really is a huge improvement on 2.5. More stable, better frame rates, better HDR .... just better in so many ways. If anyone has been "on the fence" about jumping from FSX to P3D, then I'd say now's the time. Or rather ... maybe wait a week or two until a few more quad installers are trundled out by ORBX.

Second: I wasn't a huge fan of HDR in either FSX or P3Dv2.5 ... often bleached out, over saturated, or generally "cheesey". I couldn't ever get on with SweetFX either (for the same reasons). However - the HDR built into P3Dv3 seems somehow more natural. You have to go in and out of the menu to change settings so it's a little more cumbersome than doing it "on the fly" as in SweetFX, but once you find a decent setting, you're set.

Third: fog/mist is superb. Subtle effects and no banding.

Here are a few shots to show what I mean:

Drama - much as before:
p3dv3_p40_01_585_1350.jpg

Or more subtle:
p3dv3_p47_01_187_1350.jpg

p3dv3_an2_03_931_1350.jpg

"Full fat" colour - Noosa, Queensland:
p3dv3_c172_01_671_1350.jpg

HDR really gives the VC a totally different atmosphere. Those lights really glow!
p3dv3_an2_02_106_1350.jpg

Some Spitfire shots in a similar vein in another topic. You really can't mix and match Spitfire shots!

Adam.

'ere! Where's the topic/create PREVIEW button gone?

Wonderful set Adam.

Could not agree with you more about V3.0, which is why I installed FSX again and spending so much time in Australia of late:unsure::wacko::rolleyes:

Nice to see a blue sea again!

Yes a few things missing or altered on the new site but that is progress.

Very impressed with the panel of Annushka!

Unfortunately, after several trial, I unable to install AN2 in V3. She work perfectly in v2.5 but a lot of issue in V3. ....and she's one of my favoutes....TOH!!! Can't understand where is the problem....

:huh:

1 hour ago, Bugdani said:

Unfortunately, after several trial, I unable to install AN2 in V3. She work perfectly in v2.5 but a lot of issue in V3. ....and she's one of my favoutes....TOH!!! Can't understand where is the problem....

I want to get the AN2 in v3 also but haven't tried yet so I'm all ears.  Nice work Adam.

11 hours ago, Bugdani said:

This one caught me out as well - as I did it for P3Dv2.5 (and then forgot that I did)!

You need to add a an entry in DLL.xml (which may not exist either - if not, create it first):

Place in DLL.xml
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3

<Launch.Addon>
	<Name>SibWings service module</Name>
	<Disabled>False</Disabled>
	<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
	<Path>SibWings\Service\swservice.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

Thanks for the nice comments, folks!

Adam.

18 hours ago, TymK said:

Niiiiice shots, I'm rather happy with V3 myself... ;) One thing that I'm still not entirely convinced about is clouds, but yours look great. What texture set are you using?

Cheers,

Tym

Tym - I'm sorry to say that they're just as bad. It's been one of my perennial peeves in the P3D forums, but they're all in denial. Some people even dared tell me that's what clouds look like in RL. I mean ... *please*!!!!

It really doesn't matter what textures you use (it's irrelevant) as the problem is with the random/fractal *maths* in the _fx code. I fiddled with it a bit in P3Dv2.5 and managed to get a bit of improvement, but it was all trial and error, rather than any clever [re]programming. I just can't see why LM can't sort this - it's all in a few lines of code - and nothing much to do with the core of the sim.

I can't quite work out which conditions produce these nasty little blobs. It's "distant" clouds for sure and medium or sparse coverage. REX (Softclouds) or whatever only affect the main (near) texture and derivatives, which is why with more cover (and closer clouds) you tend not to see the nasty effects.

If anyone tells me they think that clouds like the ones below are acceptable in a "state-of-the-art" sim, then I have a seriously large bone to pick with them!

p3dv3_clouds_01_1024.jpg

p3dv3_clouds_02_1024.jpg

p3dv3_clouds_03_1024.jpg

Adam.

EDIT: Sorry - forgot to add that I use REX/Texture Direct with Soft Clouds. The same REX TD theme works *beautifully* in FSX (with no need for SoftClouds).

10 hours ago, Adam_NZ said:

This one caught me out as well - as I did it for P3Dv2.5 (and then forgot that I did)!

You need to add a an entry in DLL.xml (which may not exist either - if not, create it first):

Place in DLL.xml
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3

<Launch.Addon>
	<Name>SibWings service module</Name>
	<Disabled>False</Disabled>
	<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
	<Path>SibWings\Service\swservice.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

Thanks for the nice comments, folks!

Adam.

Thanks, Adam, it works now!

I've made some mistakes in editing the  "Dll"  file at the end, but now, i can enjoy this wonderful bird in this wonderful sim (V3)

Do you know if we can do the same for the Safir and the Birddog?  It will be simply amazing...... :rolleyes:

Dani.

8 hours ago, Adam_NZ said:

Tym - I'm sorry to say that they're just as bad. It's been one of my perennial peeves in the P3D forums, but they're all in denial. Some people even dared tell me that's what clouds look like in RL. I mean ... *please*!!!!

Yeah, I agree about the "popcorn" stuff, it's really annoying, and I can't comprehend how anyone can argue it's OK...

It really doesn't matter what textures you use (it's irrelevant) as the problem is with the random/fractal *maths* in the _fx code.

[...]

REX (Softclouds) or whatever only affect the main (near) texture and derivatives, which is why with more cover (and closer clouds) you tend not to see the nasty effects.

In my experience, there's something about REX clouds that makes this issue stand out more. Generally, I've stuck with a FEX set made by Nick N. since FSX times and it tends to make the issue less pronounced (far from perfect, but less glaring):

2015-9-10_9-58-14-163.md.jpg

p3dv3_clouds_02_1024.jpg

I have to say I've never seen them that bad, is that with Opus or ASN?

Thanks for the cloud theme suggestions. The main reason I asked is that the FEX set works really nicely for me in most cases, but it can sometimes look a bit bland and "undramatic" in cases where some "drama" would be welcome (e.g. as in your first shot, and also at dusk/dawn). I hope they eventually address the cloud shader maths... :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Tym

On 11/17/2015, 2:31:54, EastFB72 said:

What settings do you use for the HDR... Are you able to post a Screenshot of them?

Probably no need for a screenshot - my settings are:

Brightness: 1.1

Bloom: 1.62

Saturation: 1

Landing Lights illuminate ground: Yes

Lens Flare: Yes

However - these [same] settings produce wildly different effects - depending on time of day, aircraft orientation, viewing angle ... and weather (!!!!).

It's a love-hate thing for me, I think. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it's ghastly!

The odd thing is that HDR seems to affect the way fog/mist visibility is displayed:

With HDR:

p3dv3_hdr_1350.jpg

No HDR:

p3dv3_nohdr_1350.jpg

Either that, or I had it it SLEW mode and not properly paused!!!

Adam.

Man, your shots are very impressive. It is hard for me to resist to P3D V3. Only 8 weeks ago I switched to P3D V2.5:rolleyes:

I had installed all my ORBX scenery, but when i see yout shots and the V3 shots of other forum users I am very impressed about V3.

Is it really so much better as V2.5? Should I switch or not?

Cheers Uwe

3 hours ago, Red1963 said:

Man, your shots are very impressive. It is hard for me to resist to P3D V3. Only 8 weeks ago I switched to P3D V2.5:rolleyes:

I had installed all my ORBX scenery, but when i see yout shots and the V3 shots of other forum users I am very impressed about V3.

Is it really so much better as V2.5? Should I switch or not?

Cheers Uwe

It's *much* better than 2.5 - in many ways. Faster, better memory management - and a little more polished all-round.

Sadly, it'll cost you almost as much all over again (painful) - there's no "upgrade" price ... and you'll need to reinstall all your add-ons again!

Adam.

Thanks for the nice comments, chaps!

Archived