How big is your flight sim folder(s)

ojiito

My dedicated flight sim drive is sitting at 161 GB, not quite 3/4 of the 250 available, which includes 'stuff' like Pilot's Global 2010 (23GB), Rex 4 + Softies (17GB) etc...   Not an emergency, but Newegg has the 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD for $189, which I'm considering getting before I do a new FSX:SE install so I don't have to worry about space for a while. 

So I'm just curious how much space other people have for flight sim, with emphasis on Orbx.  My Orbx collection is still not too huge, but the folder in FSX is 57GB, with nowhere to go but up. 

Cheers...

I'm at 180GB (P3D 2.5), of which 130GB is Orbx.  And I haven't even reinstalled everything yet after the 2.5 update!

I'm using a 1GB SSD, though that's shared with Windows and a small number of other apps; everything else goes on a HDD.  So a dedicated 500GB should give you good future-proofing, at least until the next phase of cheaper/larger/faster drives.

Greetings Alex,

My P3D folder is 88.6 GB overall and the Orbx folder is 65.3 GB.I still haven't reloaded the UK scenery or Australia and my aircraft selection is a bit anemic.

Respectfully,

Brian

My overall FS covers about 200Gb with ORBX taking up the majority of that space - 123Gb but I still haven't got all my ORBX stuff loaded after the P3D2.5 re-install.

Fortunately I have a 500Gb SSD dedicated to FS so I have a way to go yet.

Come on ORBX help me fill that drive.

I upgraded from 3 TB HDD space (2+1) to 5 TB (2+3) - but when the new drive finally arrived the holiday sales had just been over!!!   :lol:

Need to look up the size of my ORBX folder, but with every shop in the world having run ORBX box clearout sales PLUS the ORBX holiday sale at FSS ... it must be ... huge, really huge.

HI Guys,

I have one, 1TB HD installed...partitioned into drives "C" & "D".

Drive "C" = 585 GB Total

FSX SE folder = 224 GB

Orbx Folder = 177 GB (Installed up to date...the complete collection + Pilots 2010 Global, & Pilots Vector)

Therefore, at present "C" = 204 GB free!

Cheers,

The realistic options just now are 500GB or 1TB, so it depends how you think you'd use it.  If it were only for FS, 500GB may well be plenty (unless you plan to buy everything out there :) ); by the time you'd need more, there'd be better hardware on the market.  On the other hand if you want to use it for other things too, and feel the expense is justified, then 1TB could be the better choice.

My P3D folder is 379 GB, on the same disk I have other add-ons (FSGlobal, UTX Europe, REX, weather programs, flight planners ....) that totals about 123 GB and on a my F-drive I have  460 GB of photo-sceneries and everything is still growing.  ::)

I remember discussions not so long ago on this forum where people claimed they would buy a 128 GB SSD and it would last forever. Same thing when I bougt my first HD, it was 10 MB and the salesperson told me I would never have to buy another!!!!!

Jack

the Swede in Spain

I set up a 1TB SSD dedicated only to my Flight Sim (I wanted plenty of room to grow). I place all Flight Sim related programs and addons on it. Currently, using P3D, I'm at 229GB.

My ORBX folder takes up 132GB of that total.

Wow thanks for the responses, very interesting to see what everyone has.

For the folks in danger of running out of room, re: my original post, seems like a pretty good deal to me.  If I get it, no money for scenery for a while, $189 is a lot these days....  

But either way I am definitely getting new trees   :ph34r:

Archived