Getting Prepar3d for the Tropics: Cairns Intl and Broome Intl in P3Dv2!

G'day All,

After a little bit of R&R following the release of Palm Springs, I've been getting stuck into service-pack-mode, and in particular bringing up some of my titles to native P3Dv2 standard with some much-appreciated assistance from Graham Eccleston. I am currently working on three Service Packs/Triple Installers at the moment, and am delighted to show off a few screens for two of these, Broome International and Cairns International airports for FTX AU. To be perfectly honest, these are two of my all-time favourite projects to work on, and it's been great fun to add full P3D2 compatibility, as well as adding some additional features and new content. Of course these new features will be made available for the FSX version too, as well as a couple of fixes for both airports. 

With our 33% Off* Sale running for another two weeks (until January 2nd 2015), now is the perfect time to pick up these two airports for a very nice discount! 

CAIRNS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

The largest airport in the Australian Tropics, Cairns International is a major tourist hub, serving many international and domestic airlines, as well as being one of the largest GA and rotary-wing airfields in the country. As an internationally-renowned tourist destination, the city is a short flight away from the Great Barrier Reef and tropical Rainforests of the hinterland region. This extensive scenery add-on not only includes the airport in full detail, but also the majority of the city of Cairns (including the busy downtown resort district on short finals to the airport), Green Island, Vlashoff Cay and large photoreal portions of the Great Barrier Reef. The City Center floating helipad, Base Hospital helipad, Marina and Green Island floatplane docks, and Vlashoff Cay landing area all provide additional landing areas to explore, as well as over 50 custom landmarks and points of interest to check out across the coverage area. An enormous and varied location to explore, Cairns offers some of the most dramatic landscapes to be found anywhere in Australia.

New Features for Triple Installer/Service Pack 2:

- Full compatibility with Prepar3d V2

- New taxiway edge and centreline lighting system 

- New airport ground poly source for better performance, including some updated textures

- New Static Aircraft - Virgin Australia (white) 737NG, AirNorth E170, Airlines PNG Dash-8, Air Nuigini Q400 and B757

- Updated GA and bizjet static aircraft

- New Global-style autogen lighting for better look and improved performance

- Minor updates to animated people and generic ground vehicles

- Fixed excluded mangrove autogen

- Fixed missing GUIDs

- Fixed Ground Poly aircraft light splash issues

- Fixed compatibility for 5m mesh setting

For full product details and information, please visit the Cairns Intl Product Page

All screenshots aside from night pictures taken in P3Dv2

YxL41.jpg

mgEvJ.jpg

kHMmo.jpg

Uroz.jpg

CBuRs.jpg

qCu6g.jpg

QnSdZ.jpg

QY3Zk.jpg

AglHD.jpg

WSV2s.jpg

VpzI9.jpg

as4mk.jpg

3gZqa.jpg

O4MVy.jpg

gUmD.jpg

c6aS.jpg

JS4N6.jpg

mC8go.jpg

eUMo5.jpg

57qKd.jpg

BROOME INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

For those not familiar with the town, Broome is one of the biggest tourist destinations in Australia; as well as being home to the world-famous Cable Beach, it is also a major hub and gateway to the Kimberley wilderness area. Broome has a fascinating and diverse history, much of it centred around the pearling industry that was set up in the 1880s - indeed one of the many visual icons of the town is the sight of a pearling lugger sailing past Cable Beach at sunset. The town also came to prominence during World War II, when the airport (home to USAAF B-17 and B-24 bombers) and town site were bombed by the Japanese. The most well-known casualties of this raid were a fleet of Dutch flying boats anchored at Roebuck Bay - these aircraft were on their way from the Dutch East Indies to Perth at the time.

The airport itself is quite iconic due to it's proximity to the town centre - the main runway at YBRM essentially cuts the town in half. From an eastern approach, short (short) finals take you low over the town centre - when visiting the local outdoor cinema (Sun Cinemas - incidentally the oldest outdoor cinema in the world), it is common to be interrupted by a 737 flying over only dozens of feet overhead! When approaching from the west, short finals take you over the impeccably white sand of Cable Beach, passing just to the south of the Cable Beach Resort.

New Features for Triple Installer/Service Pack 1:

- Full compatibility with Prepar3d V2

- New taxiway edge and centreline lighting system 

- New Static Aircraft - AirNorth E170

- New Global-style autogen lighting for better look and improved performance

- Minor updates to animated people

- Fixed coastline issue near lighthouse

For full product details and information, please visit the Broome Intl Product Page

All screenshots taken in P3Dv2

iRGHc.jpg

yPjaq.jpg

GhcMO.jpg

H9v.jpg

bUN6.jpg

rUR8.jpg

JPD6B.jpg

N3PZL.jpg

cotfi.jpg

43pyn.jpg

qk1fm.jpg

0a7yQ.jpg

Qg674.jpg

UeOog.jpg

qUe4h.jpg

1BWD.jpg

SvUai.jpg

etOLw.jpg

Cheers,

Jarrad

One of many things I love about your post are that you usually wait until its only days from release before you post.  So one can hope that this will be available very soon and yes I've been looking forward to seeing many of your products get the P3Dv2 update.  Broome being one of them but after seeing Cairns, I am equally as excited for both!

Jarrad,

It's a good news for us, thanks a lot. As 'the' fan of your production i will order Broome before jaunary (Cairn is already on my collection)

I'm still waiting the triple installer for KJAC, KSFF and of course KBZN but I have time, I must re-explore Australia :)

My goodness, Jarrad, these look like photographs.  I had to look twice at them to see that they are, or might be, taken from P3D.

JJ, I am guessing these are not quite ready yet.  That might be the reason that this is in the preview forum and not the release section.

I hope Alice Springs is also in the works, because that would bring my collection of Orbx airfields up to date with triple installers. I bought Broome and Cairns after moving over to P3DV2, so I'm very much looking forward to trying them out for the first time. Thank you, gentlemen.

:)

Smart move Jarrad, to give us that info in advance, your post made me buy Cairns in a blink that I will download when the triple installer is ready as I hardly care for FSX these days. Thank you for the conversion, to you and Graham ! Now, I look forward to KRDD one of my top favorite airports :)

I like very much the way you present your work BTW, beautiful and informative.

Great pictures and great to see that the triple installers for the larger airports are now coming. Since the triple installer for Broome seems to be just around the corner, I guess, I will pick up Broome in the ongoing sale (I already own Cairns). Thanks for your efforts, Jarrad! And have a nice christmas holiday!

PS: Maybe you could tell us which third triple installer you are working on? This would certainly be a selling pitch for me if I do not already own this airport!

Thanks everyone, no dates for release yet sorry, but we are working hard to get these completed for you all :) 

Please don't forget about the fishing boat lights on the approach bridge. http://orbxsystems.com/forum/index.php?/topic/34742-YBCS-(sinking-into-runway)

Looking forward to the updates

Nick

Thanks for the reminder Nick, this was already one of the first items on my fix-list! 

PS: Maybe you could tell us which third triple installer you are working on? This would certainly be a selling pitch for me if I do not already own this airport!

Now, I look forward to KRDD one of my top favorite airports  :)

Redding/Benton is indeed the third service pack I'm working on - expect some shots of these in the not-too-distant future too :)

Cheers,

Jarrad

• 2 weeks later...

I just couldn't resist the awesomeness..(if that's a word)

Regrettably, it has become one, and is used ad nauseam.  ;)

I'm checking the Release Announcements forum daily and really looking forward to what for me will be new airports.   :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived