Best place to be a bush pilot

Tim Harris

For those that can view this in your country, there is a really great and in-depth documentary about the worlds most dangerous airstrips. The program is called 'The Worse place to be a Pilot'.

You can watch this on 4 on demand catch up. 

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/worst-place-to-be-a-pilot/4od#3744743

ZRMHl.png

For those that can't view this, I am going to try and record it with shadow play and will upload at some point 

I really enjoyed what I saw last night, but I had just got in from work and the misses wanted to rabbit on about Christmas shopping and stuff! 

Now I have the tranquility of work and some time to watch again..... in peace :)

way to go John, I'll forward a copy of your post to the MISSES :ph34r:

Interesting how we see it as the best place and it's titled the worst place to be a pilot :)

Nice find, thanks.

Simple answer, you can always walk away from a simulator landing, but in reality this place demands the absolute best from its pilots, if you can fly here then you are indeed a member of a very elite few.

Simulators are the best for experiencing all the wild stuff you wouldn't dare try for real.

Cheers

@ Ken - too much Tony Joe White my friend (see Snakey album)

I'll have to google that but I'm guessing it's with reference to the light V dark meat.

Just watched the vid, very cool dude indeed, but I'll still keep drinking the tequila though.

Cheers

Terrific!!

And after having watched it, I have to admit that there is a BIG difference between the real PNG strips and what Ken and Tim have given us. Ours are far more challenging than the real stuff, because Ken and Tim put way more trees into our approach passes  ::)  ::)  ::)

So, Kev, be warned!!

Interesting how we see it as the best place and it's titled the worst place to be a pilot :)

Well, and it's a TV show - how many watchers would you get if you called it "Fantastic life of the last real pilots"? No, it has to be dangerous sounding, have drama, relate back to "our brave boys"...

Don't get me wrong, I liked what I saw, just thought that angle was a bit overstressed.

PNG by Orbx has been loads of fun and to see it for real on a TV show just makes it even more brilliant. I think I'm on my 5th cessna caravan at least. Unfortunately FSX forgets the places where I have scattered wreckage before. ;)

I really enjoyed watching this. As a nineteen year old, I applied to fly there. And was kindly told (the long version) that I was to young. Though I was very disappointed, in reality I was very nieve think I would be accepted. Then life took another path, as it tends to do. No turboprop planes were used in those days.

Thanks for posting this.

Thanks for posting this guys,what an incredible experience for these brave young guys,reminds me of going to a remote area in the kimberleys when I was 18 to start an irrigation progect from scratch,awesome,well done! Doc

I watched this last night - very good! I do like those PC-6's - there's just something about them.

Unfortunately for my bank account, I now have a desire to purchase AYPY along with Aerosoft's upcoming PC-6. I wonder how long I'll resist... :D

I wasn't always a saint , OK I got in trouble doing mechanical things as a result of peer influence, Long story short, I got caught and given the option to go to New Guinea as a flying mechanic with the missions or have a record and go to the big house.

As a result I flew in an out of some of the most challenging strips with mission pilots, some literally carved out of the jungle on the sides of mountains that would scare the hell out of Hillary, but I'd not trade those memories for anything.

Honestly I think the most diverse would be Alaska  but the most challenging would have to be PNG.

All of Susi's trans-Indonesia route airports would be just fine, guys; this could/would provide a beautiful skill-building environment, culminating with the mountain airstrips, and would extend the adventure into something far deeper than the single challenges of Kagi, or Launumu or Bodinumo. Aircraft familiarity; cargo; flight planning; weather; navigation - even a career - all can be present in this terrific millieu of islands, seas and mountains - just as portrayed in these videos!

pj

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived