It Happened in Monterey: Welcome to KMRY Monterey Regional Airport!

NDcil.jpg

G'day everyone,

I'm delighted to lift the veil off my latest project, KMRY Monterey Regional Airport for Northern California. Following on from the first airport for NCA, Redding, I decided to head a little further south to one of my favourite locations in California. This product includes not only an extremely detailed rendition of KMRY, but also a hugely expansive coverage area including the entire city of Monterey, extending south to Carmel (and almost the southern border of NCA), east to Laguna Seca Raceway and north to Seaside. Suitable for all types of flyers (small GA up to Boeing 757/A321 size), Monterey offers a large and scenic area to explore. On a personal, this particular part of the world has a soft spot with me - I had the distinct pleasure of travelling around Monterey and Big Sur last May, which in no small part influenced the decision to move ahead with this project! 

For those not familiar with the area, Monterey is a beautifully scenic city located a short distance south of San Francisco, along the Central Pacific Coast. With a strong Spanish heritage (note the influence in some aspects of the airport architecture), Monterey is also home to a varied calender of well-known events and locations; the annual Monterey Jazz Festival, PGA Pro-Am Golf and several championships at Laguna Seca Raceway ensure an interesting mix of aircraft at KMRY, whilst Cannery Row, Pebble Beach (and the 17-Mile- scenic drive), The Lone Cypress and the myriad of golf courses are just some of the interesting POI's to explore within the coverage area. 

With an exciting approach over Cannery Row and downtown Monterey (not to mention the steeply sloped short finals over the Navy Golf Course), the airport is home to a wide variety of airliner and GA traffic, being served by American Eagle, US Airways Express, United Express, Alaskan (Horizon) and Allegiant Air to destinations around the Western US. The majority of the airport, however, is devoted to the several large corporate FBO's - there is clearly a huge amount of wealth attracted to the area, as there is no limit to the busy business jet traffic at KMRY. The airport is essentially built into the side of a hill, so you will note that the terrain drops away quickly at each end of the runway; this also provides for some interesting airside architecture, with the multi-level terminal and control tower set at different elevations to the apron. 

I have tried to capture the busy atmosphere and activity at Monterey Airport by spending a large amount of time on the "small details", whilst still aiming to capture the big-picture feel of the location. As always, I also spent a large portion of the development process tweaking the scenery for maximum performance, in expectation that it will be used with your favorite resource-heavy airliner or bizjet. I hope these screenshots provide a good idea of what to expect - stay tuned for more updates in the coming week. 

FEATURES

- Ultra-detailed rendition of KMRY Monterey Regional Airport

- Huge coverage area at ultra-high 7cm, 30cm and 60cm coverage. Extremely high-res 5m mesh is also included. 

- Many points of interest in the extended coverage area; Cannery Row, Lone Cypress/17-Mile Drive, Laguna Seca Raceway, Embassy Suites tower name just a few. 
Fourteen new static aircraft types and skins exclusively made for Monterey - CRJ-200, Challenger 604 and Turbine Mallard to name a few. 
Advanced rendering, ambient occlusion and unique night-lighting methods used for maximum realism.

- Highly detailed APX file to allow unique parallel runway operations at the airport. 

- Custom vegetation types exclusive to KMRY, including four variations of the geographically unique Monterey Cypress.
- All major freeway overpasses and airport approach buildings modeled
- Many VFR landmarks included in the coverage area; shopping centers, schools, sports grounds and many others
- Full suite of ObjectFlow, PeopleFlow2, TextureFlow and more included

- Designed to blend seamlessly with FTX NA GOLD NORTHERN CALIFORNIA in both P3Dv2 and FSX/P3Dv1.4

COVERAGE

MRFZh.jpg

Enjoy!

Jarrad

iBWI5.jpg

1ouYb.jpg

UWQoE.jpg

T8BpG.jpg

SvDyt.jpg

JDP8W.jpg

FXDKa.jpg

14Dt6.jpg

pVhT.jpg

wgoR7.jpg

A2JSb.jpg

USB0.jpg

EDKCQ.jpg

yIpgd.jpg

fAXQB.jpg

pc3T5.jpg

h80J.jpg

pWruG.jpg

UKM4.jpg

NcK7B.jpg

JPx7.jpg

SQ2H.jpg

rFoiM.jpg

KJu9s.jpg

IqjJx.jpg

IpvA.jpg

IsULf.jpg

NGfbB.jpg

pdbC2.jpg

YR1f.jpg

Holy Cow!

Looks fantastic Jarrad, though I haven't been back there in several years. Please tell me you've put in at least part of the Presidio... I spent two tours of duty there, met my wife on the second tour and got married in the post chapel.

Respectfully,

Brian

Dear Credit Card,

I hope you had a good and relaxing weekend, in order to recover energy - just like I had. You will need this recovery in a few days, when Jarrad has finished his actual project, and a decent payment will have to flow down from you to Australia - supporting me flying down to the southern end of current Orbx-America.

Best regards

Your Owner

Fourteen new static aircraft types and skins exclusively made for Monterey - CRJ-200, Challenger 604 and Turbine Mallard to name a few. 

That looks simply spectacular!

Cheers

Mallard

Great to read a turbine version of Mallard will be on show there!

PS: Jarrad, is the http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/ also going to be detailed in the scenery?

PPS: With the golfers we come closer to TeeCee´s dream of the "Golf Flow". And there are more than many courses out there... 8)

Damn, the airport is incredible, though I have not been there for many years. Many buildings just as I remember them.

I had to idea that would you would take on the whole peninsula, Jarrad! Holy Cow, that is a lot of work!

Loved the golfers. There are something like 20+ golf courses on the peninsula, as I recall. If I am not mistaken, the golf course at the end of the runway there belongs to the US Naval Postgraduate School, though I've never actually been on the grounds.

Too cold there for bikinis, but that was the only detail that did not feel realistic. Only place I remember 'going to the beach' there was over at Carmel.

Would love to see what you did with Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row.

EDIT: Amazing. For those that are not aware, Monterey is home to the Naval Postgrad School, and the Defense Language Institute at the Presidio. When I was there, Fort Ord was still open, just over there at Seaside. The detail in these shots are stunning -- memories I have not had in years. I can see the enlisted club where I got kicked out, I can see the streets where I got speeding tickets and I can see the Mexican cantina where I celebrated my 21st birthday. And it reminds me of dozens of great guys and gals that I served with. Jarrad, I'll never be able to buy you enough beer to repay you for this.

Quote: "Designed to blend seamlessly with FTX NA GOLD NORTHERN CALIFORNIA in both P3Dv2 and FSX/P3Dv1.4

That is the sentence that sold it to me!

P.S. Outstanding work, absolutely outstanding!

Quote: "Designed to blend seamlessly with FTX NA GOLD NORTHERN CALIFORNIA in both P3Dv2 and FSX/P3Dv1.4

That is the sentence that sold it to me!

For me it was "from Jarrad marshall". I was sold as soon as I read that.

Hey, tell that guy to get his cart off the green 8)

Yeah no kidding. And move his golf bag too.

WOW!

My "eagerly awaiting" list just got longer... I had better start counting my nickels & dimes. ;)

Thanks for the great preview,

Tom Wunder

(Ever notice that in anybody's scenery for any flight simulator the golf courses are always the easiest places to spot?)

Thanks very much guys, as always appreciate the nice feedback. 

You'll be all glad to hear that the errant golfers have been suitably reprimanded (shouting a couple of rounds at the 19th hole), though don't be surprised to see them back to their usual shenanigans later on :P 

Please tell me you've put in at least part of the Presidio... I spent two tours of duty there, met my wife on the second tour and got married in the post chapel.

No worries Brian, it is definitely in the coverage area, and whilst it is included, I don't want to set unrealistic expectations and mention that it won't be modeled in high detail (at this stage, anyway).

PS: Jarrad, is the http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/ also going to be detailed in the scenery?

It is indeed, it won't be in high detail, but it will definitely be there.

PPS: With the golfers we come closer to TeeCee´s dream of the "Golf Flow". And there are more than many courses out there... 

You've hit the nail on the head - Terry's comments were in fact the catalyst for the idea :)

Loved the golfers. There are something like 20+ golf courses on the peninsula, as I recall. If I am not mistaken, the golf course at the end of the runway there belongs to the US Naval Postgraduate School, though I've never actually been on the grounds.

Too cold there for bikinis, but that was the only detail that did not feel realistic. Only place I remember 'going to the beach' there was over at Carmel.

Would love to see what you did with Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row.

Thanks for the nice comments, and for sure the sunbathers can be disabled for authenticity. From here on in they can be referred to as "optimistic sunbathers"! Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row are still being worked on, preview shots will follow. 

looks magnificent, Jarrad. Does Southwest fly there? I think I see one in that one pic. My 737 will like it there Im sure

Not that I am aware of, but the airport is certainly capable of handling the traffic. You'll even find specific parking markings (Gate 6A from memory in the airport menu) for "larger" aircraft like this - Allegiant Air fly MD-83's regularly and it is not uncommon to see 757's on charter or weather diversion from SFO. 

And finally, in case you may have missed it in another thread, Scott Armstrong has been brewing up a special treat - Moss Landing (approx 15 miles north of KMRY) will be included as a special feauture of the upcoming NCA SP1. 

To those of you who were disappointed by the lack of the Moss Landing power plant in NCA, this should make you happy!  I'm putting the final touches on a custom model of the Moss Landing PG&E power plant, with a photoreal area for the Elkhorn Slough and surrounding areas.  Also included are the missing marinas.  This will all be included in NCA SP1, along with many other fixes.

Cheers,

Scott

GUKM.jpg

Cheers,
Jarrad

Finally ORBX has realized their customers crave regional airports and bigger instead of the mundane grass / farm airports...

This one will be the first aiport i will buy along with NCA.

thank you

I wonder if you can buy drool proof flight controls? I think I've about ruined these looking at these pics!

Is that Mallard something Orbx modeled for static display, or is there an FSX Mallard available somewhere? I'll have to go look.

Thanks for the amazing previews. :)

Archived