It Happened in Monterey: Welcome to KMRY Monterey Regional Airport!

WoW!  Absolutely brilliant.  I love the fact that you put a detailed version of Laguna Seca Raceway in there.  How about some Moto GP bikes on it?  You can put Casey Stoner in the lead if you want.

TD

Jarrad,

Thanks for the reply. I'm just looking for enough detail to dazzle the spouse with the WOW factor, not pick out the building that was my classroom... The greater the WOW, the better the chance she'll say," you really need that one, why don't you let me get it for you."

RIPCORD - I take it you were stationed at FT Ord?! I don't know if it was the time frame or if we linguists are made of sterner stuff, but I can tell you that it wasn't too cold for bikinis on the Presidio when I was there.... ;)

Respectfully,

Brian

Thanks for the nice comments, and for sure the sunbathers can be disabled for authenticity. From here on in they can be referred to as "optimistic sunbathers"! Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row are still being worked on, preview shots will follow. 

And finally, in case you may have missed it in another thread, Scott Armstrong has been brewing up a special treat - Moss Landing (approx 15 miles north of KMRY) will be included as a special feauture of the upcoming NCA SP1. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

I can assure you guys that there are bikinis on the beaches around Monterey Bay.  Some beaches even have less.   :)

Moss Landing!  How did I miss that post.  Thank you Scott and Jarrad for all your hard work on this!

Ok , I live here and know the Montery Bay very well. Have done alot of flying out of this airport as well. I have to admit this is very close to the real thing. You can count on me purchasing this one. What is the release date??

And also there was a Civil Air Patrol office on the north side of the field no longer occupied however the T-34 is still parked  there. As far as the bikini scene all good plenty of tourist come and lay out on the beaches.

With the addition of Laguna Sece Raceway the Monterey Peninsula is one of the most beautiful locations on the

the West coast of California. Excellent choice sir!

G'day Starseed,

No release date set yet unfortunately, though the screenshots should give an idea of how far along we are. 

In answer to your question, is the CAP office the round building standing alone near the RV park? Or is it part of the cluster of buildings around the Navy Flying Club? Either way, both are modeled (though no T-34 sorry), I'll put up a few screenshots in my next round. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

This is not a "wow, what a nice scenery" post. I really don't know what to say. I'm speechless! Jarrad, you set new standards in scenery making and I only can imagine what your work will be in a couple of years. Congratulations.

WoW!  Absolutely brilliant.  I love the fact that you put a detailed version of Laguna Seca Raceway in there.  How about some Moto GP bikes on it?  You can put Casey Stoner in the lead if you want.

TD

Really brilliant and I like the race track too but old Casey Stoner would be outdated because he's not racing anymore. ::)

Awesome job

Spirit

Advanced rendering, ambient occlusion and unique night-lighting methods used for maximum realism.

Those are Prepar3D screenshots, right? I can't imagine that you can get that kind of excellent lighting quality in FSX....let alone advanced rendering, ambient occlusion...that's not even possible in FSX or is it?

Anyway, its looks incredible good, some parts almost look real. Very well done, I'm super impressed!

And also there was a Civil Air Patrol office on the north side of the field no longer occupied however the T-34 is still parked  there.

There was a Navy flying club there as well. I took a few lessons there. Even got a couple flights in the T-34s, back in the day -- practiced steep turns right over Pebble Beach one evening.

RIPCORD - I take it you were stationed at FT Ord?! I don't know if it was the time frame or if we linguists are made of sterner stuff, but I can tell you that it wasn't too cold for bikinis on the Presidio when I was there.... ;)

Nope I was at DLI as well. Navy, from 1987-1990. Went to school 'up the hill'.

I spent my share of days at the beach, trust me. Guess I was so ultra-geeky that I never got within 100 yards of any bikinis.

Those shots are indeed taken in FSX, the rendering is all part of the scenery itself :) If you want to check it out in P3D2, Phil posted some screenshots here

Let me guess, it's not AO that is rendered on the fly like in Prepar3D, it's basically pre-rendered in your 3D modeling application, right?

You have some natural looking shadows underneath the static planes, they get softer when the get outwards and are darker close to the plane that casts it, just like in real life. FSX can't render shadows like that, so I'm assuming that these shadows are hand-painted and static and they won't follow the direction of the sun.

Let me guess, it's not AO that is rendered on the fly like in Prepar3D, it's basically pre-rendered in your 3D modeling application, right?

You have some natural looking shadows underneath the static planes, they get softer when the get outwards and are darker close to the plane that casts it, just like in real life. FSX can't render shadows like that, so I'm assuming that these shadows are hand-painted and static and they won't follow the direction of the sun.

That's exactly correct - these "shadows" are more about creating depth and texture realism, rather than a realistic representation of how the sun would cast a shadow over the object at any given time. Of course, in P3D2 you can make use of the fancy new shadow settings to get exactly that :)

Cheers

I'm not ready for P3D2 yet, it still needs a lot of fine-tuning in my opinion. So I think your solution is excellent, it offers great quality within the limitations of FSX, keep up the good work Jarrad!

I only mentioned the CAP building because I was enlisted as a cadet there years ago and its the 2 story military looking building just off to the left of the cluster you were talking about. I'm currently the Admin.VP of Events for Virtual United. With over 550 active pilots on our

roster I was thinking of recommending  this scenery for the crew and setting up a fly in event around it . Could be gooood!

I'm not ready for P3D2 yet, it still needs a lot of fine-tuning in my opinion. So I think your solution is excellent, it offers great quality within the limitations of FSX, keep up the good work Jarrad!

Baked ambient occlusion is common in all Orbx airports. Indeed an excellent solution to provide depth.

• 4 months later...

Archived