Shadows

teecee

Yeah, they really do add to the feel of actually being in a cockpit. With the ability to darken shadows and shadow gradients in Steve's latest version of his DX10 Fixer, cockpit shadows are pretty darn close to what I've seen in P3D v2, just not as smooth and anti-aliased.

Nice shot.

Great shots! I have to agree (with everyone). At first, I thought it was a bit of frame-rate crippling eye-candy and totally unnecessary. Once you see some of the older aircraft with windows that have many panes/ribs - and see what you get below, it really does add to the fun (particularly when you're barrel-rolling a DC-3 :lol:).

Some aircraft shadows are better than others. I suppose it's down to the individual aircraft modeller - Steve's Fixer can only display what's there. He's added a bit of softening to get rid of some of the worst jaggies in his last couple of updates.

Adam.

Thanks lads. That A/C is the Carenado Cessna 210 so it's a fairly old offering.. The Newer Albeo Tomahawk has very nice shadowing too.

As Adam says, it's a bit of a hit and miss thing, and depends on the programming of the various aircraft.. nice when it is there though. Teecee.

Wow Terry it's like looking at the real thing. This whole DX10 stuff scares me, I wish I had the know how.

I could not get dx10 to work, I bypassed it and went for p3d, if you think that shot is amazing,and it is a fine shot, but 2.2 p3d will make not just the interior of the aircraft, but the whole landscape look like that.

Anyway, fine shot TeeCee, one thing for sure the flight sim industry is alive and going forward.

Cheers

Very nice shot. I've been trying to research this DX10 fixer you guys talk about but so far I haven't been able to figure it out. Your shot proves that there is a reason to continue the search.

Thanks,

Tom Wunder

very nice  , I have purchased the dx10 fixer , and I do like it and use it a fair bit, but I am struggling to get the AA sorted out , its not bad on most aircraft , but a few still have a slight shimmer, jaggy edge , your pics look perfect  , I will have to research it more and try and find the sweet  spot in N Inspector.

Teecee, I love the effects you managed to get as a result of the shadowing, but I also love your little logo statement, it's priceless.

" They say that I live in my own little world..
but that's OK, they know me here "

regards

John MD

I can not dispute the beauty of your leather interior in that shot but I am beginning to wonder about the "DX10 Fixer". I finally tracked down the utility on FSS. Just reading from the product page it says something like "This will make your DX10 look as good as DX9"... I am paraphrasing but that is close. My question is if the goal is to make it look as good as DX9 then why shouldn't I continue to use DX9 and spend my thirty some bucks on another FTX airport or something?

I am not trying to be a trouble maker here... I'm just struggling to understand the point.

Please tell me what I am missing. And I have no doubt that it is my understanding that is faulty... I just wanna know how and why I'm screwed up. ??

Thanks,

Tom Wunder

"I'm just struggling to understand the point."

At the first post I say "for those of you that have DX10" so I am not suggesting that anyone purchase the fix, simply showing what the fix did for MY system.. It may not do the same for anyone else, and indeed could even be a backward step for some.. The decision to purchase or not is yours alone.. For me it was well worth the money as at this point I am staying with FSX until Prepar3d V2.$ settles down. Teecee.

Teecee,

I do not mean to suggest that you are plugging or pushing this product. If my remarks sounded that way I apologize. I am just trying to understand the advantages of DX10 with this utility and your thread that was already on the subject seemed to be a better place to ask than starting a new thread.

Sorry,

Tom Wunder

Tom, the whole point of the fixer is to allow the use of DX10 in FSX, and is basically so that FSX users that do not have or do not want to "upgrade" to Prepar3d can benefit from the program by seeing somewhat better textures in their sim. There ARE advantages to be had from DX10, but what they are I guess depends  on your system.. for me it's seeing the shadows, and slightly better textures in general. Teecee.

You are more than welcome Tom, I hope it helps you to come to a decision.. If I can help further you can email me at terry9511@bellsouth.net. I am in Mississippi, so our times are not too far apart. Teecee.

Tom, the whole point of the fixer is to allow the use of DX10 in FSX, and is basically so that FSX users that do not have or do not want to "upgrade" to Prepar3d can benefit from the program by seeing somewhat better textures in their sim. There ARE advantages to be had from DX10, but what they are I guess depends on your system ... for me it's seeing the shadows, and slightly better textures in general. Teecee.

Totally agree!

One of the main advantages (that you will also get if going to P3D) is that it offloads a heap of processing to the GPU (where it belongs!), thus giving you better performance and/or stability. In that sense, it's a "poor man's P3D" - which you can play with until there's more P3D support for your raft of FSX add-ons.

The Fixer gives you a fair bit of control for bloom effects, shadows and reflections. As I don't own P3D, I can't compare with what it offers by comparison.

One thing I'm not sure of (and maybe P3D users can help me out here) is how well does P3D cope with old/legacy [DX9] aircraft? The Fixer can "fix" many of them (relatively painlessly).

Adam.

Archived