FS an SSD-discs!

After reading a lot of recent postings, a lot of people seem to be so very excited about SSD-discs. Suddenly everyone wants/needs one. Why? I have tested it and found out that there are NO advantages at all using them for FS. They are still expensive, have limited capacity, and are worn out after a few years. See all the postings from people saying they can NOT install  any more add-ons on the SSD, "what shall I do now"? . They give no performance advantages what so ever when running FS. The only thing is that the FS loading time is a little bit faster. Is it worth the  money? IMHO no.

Can you please give me ONE reason why everybody suddenly seems to be so excited over SSD:s? 

I have win8 on one SSD and win7 with P3D2 on a second.

I really can't fault them. So much quicker that regular HDDs.

Although I do have 3 other regular 1TB HDDs for storage and a Synology Diskstation NAS with 6TB on board for backups.

OOH! I've just realised... I'm a storage junkie.

I got Win7 on a 128 GbSSD- Disk and the FSX on a 500Gb SSD-Disk for more then a year.

Normaly FSX needs 10 minutes to start from HDD, from SSD 1 minutes 15 seconds.

Thats nearly 50 hours more flying, if you waiting ;)

And the reload from scenerys is much faster, so I got no stutters in flying.

I have so much stuff on my C drive it takes about 4 or 5 minutes to load FSX. I have been contemplating a SSD for a while, to see if that would help improve my load times. When I first went to download and install 2010 global FTX, I got an error, not enough disc space. I. Thought that was must be an error. Can not be, it is a 500 gig drive. Surprise I only had 10 gig space left. The perfect excuse to buy a new drive. That. Is why I have an SSD. I like it and should have done this ages ago!

SSD and Acronis True Image are saving me from lot of frustration actually. As you all know, FsX becomes very unstable after you install like 200gb addons. Because of this, I am taking frequent system backup all the time. So, everytime I do something wrong, install some bad add-on and make FsX/P3d unstable, I can go back to previous state in 15 mins. I don't even bother trying to fix the error. Recovering whole system with SSD is lot easier than that.  

I don't have an SSD, but wish I had. The reason is load times.

I start up FSX and it takes several minutes to load. I click on 'Change Aircraft' and another few minutes pass before I get the option to select a different aircraft. Loading a flight plan takes another few minutes while I twiddle my thumbs. Press the 'Fly Now' button and another lengthy wait ensues. I reckon I must spend up to around 20 minutes looking at 'frozen' screens before I finally get to move those throttle levers :-

Nope I have NOT seen enough reasons why I should have an SSD for my FS. I have one for the OS and think that is very good but for FS.....no.

I agree. I have P3D V1.4 on the SSD and P3DV2 + FSX on old fashioned drive along with Windows7. OTHER THAN load times I see no material difference. However, I have some slider less than max. If I get around to It I will max some to cause stutters on P3DV@ and FSX. Then see if the same settings cause stutters on P3D (SSD). I doubt it will help much. Watch the disk access during flight and they are not that often compared to bursts of CPU activity. Also, my video card is always at MAX usage on P3DV2. Yes, not a scientific comparison.

The latest and greatest 21st century product is a slim reason to spend money unless you are in the top 10% here who have everything.

I agree with the OP. I'd say SSDs are a bit over-hyped at the moment. My FSX starts from the desktop in about 15 seconds, and loading a new flight takes at most a couple minutes(with ftx scenery, rex and add-on aircraft) from a completely normal Western Digital Blue 1Tb HDD.

Nope I have NOT seen enough reasons why I should have an SSD for my FS. I have one for the OS and think that is very good but for FS.....no.

Everybody has reason for change or not. Concerning myself, I have 2 SSDs on my rig: one for OS and the other one for FSX (now for P3D2). The main benefit when launching the FS on SSD is to speed up load of global mesh. With a HDD, FS loading on starting flight often stay at 6% for a long while whenever I activate a global such as FSG 2010 or Ultimate. I don't experience this anymore since I got full SSD. The other reason I enjoy a lot SSD the speed to restore a backup partition by tool such as Acronis. I often experiment manual migration of add-ons from FSX to P3D2 and I have to admit that some sceneries mess up a lot so a restore is faster than wondering why it's down.

For the close future, I intend to buy a 500GB or 1TB SSD as prices decrease significatively after the greeting season

No more defragging! A Godsend if you ask me.

If you want to run a tight ship it was just constant defragging and that for me is the advantage.

Also, I was under the impression that flight sim can read data like scenery files and have them ready for the cpu to process without any delays.

Those delays might have been miniscule in the first place but you know,..... tight ship!

I run FSX on a 500 GB Samsung SSD SATA III. It didn't solve the FSX stutter problem for me. My FSX installation is about 400 GB in size. Program start takes several Minutes. The new P3D v2 is on a WD Caviar Black 1 TB disc, connected to a 3G slot (since I have only 2 at 6G). P3D is starting much faster than FSX, but it still has fewer addons installed than FSX. The more I add, the longer the start takes.

I think, I had rather put the OS on the SSD for a quicker boot, wich seems to be a working advantage of SSDs.

I also have tried FSX on a RAID with two 1 TB Caviar blacks on the SATA 6G slots. It wasn't faster either, although FSX is constantly reading files. Maybe they are too small to benefit from a raid. Now without raid, the system isn't slower, but I had to keep the RAID driver. AHCI driver were about 10% slower. The RAID itself didn't slow down the computing performance. This was a myth, I have seen somewhere before. I'm pretty happy with the Samsung SSD. It works fine and has a good performance. It's a litte more than twice as fast as the Caviar Black on the other SATA 6G connector.

I run FSX on a 500 GB Samsung SSD SATA III. It didn't solve the FSX stutter problem for me. My FSX installation is about 400 GB in size. Program start takes several Minutes. The new P3D v2 is on a WD Caviar Black 1 TB disc, connected to a 3G slot (since I have only 2 at 6G). P3D is starting much faster than FSX, but it still has fewer addons installed than FSX. The more I add, the longer the start takes.

I think, I had rather put the OS on the SSD for a quicker boot, wich seems to be a working advantage of SSDs.

I also have tried FSX on a RAID with two 1 TB Caviar blacks on the SATA 6G slots. It wasn't faster either, although FSX is constantly reading files. Maybe they are too small to benefit from a raid. Now without raid, the system isn't slower, but I had to keep the RAID driver. AHCI driver were about 10% slower. The RAID itself didn't slow down the computing performance. This was a myth, I have seen somewhere before. I'm pretty happy with the Samsung SSD. It works fine and has a good performance. It's a litte more than twice as fast as the Caviar Black on the other SATA 6G connector.

Hi,

I would say that your whole rig is messed up, sorry I don't want to be offending.

FSX in a 400 GB size is like a monster and P3D v2 is basically faster in start-up. A RAID 0 isn't faster or slower then a normal disk management. Maybe some extensive write operations will be faster.

Any FS on a SSD will start-up much faster as you can read all around.

Spirit

Advantages

- Faster loading of everything

- No more need for defragging

- Small

- Completely silent

Disadvantages

- Price

- Size

I personally can't imagine not using SSD's anymore. To me it's worth a lot that P3D v2's startup screen shows up in around 4 seconds and a flight is loaded in 20 to 25 seconds. Obviously this is also due to not having much addons installed. Some addons will make loading times longer no matter what drive you use.

I do use my SSD's for other things also, though. Of course for Windows 7, which starts up as if it's a brand new install even after a year or so, and also for music: loading samples from an SSD is a treat: I have a bass that has to load a lot of small samples. On my HD this takes around 1 minute, on the SSD it takes around 10 seconds. You can imagine the difference it makes when I have to load a project with a lot of samples and instruments!

I can however understand that some don't like SSD's for FS. If you have huge mesh addon and photoreal scenery, it can become a costly business to get it all on SSD's. And it is true that you don't notice much during (if any) flying itself. If I was very tight on money I probably would also stay with HD's.

With about 300Gb of files, loading times for FSX at start up would be excruciatingly slow for me, probably allow enough time to have a bath, dry my hair and drink a coffee! I have the OS and FSX on separate SSDs and it's refreshing to have FSX load within about a minute.

Don't forget that an SSD on a poor SATA controller makes a huge difference in speeds! I am stuck with Marvel 88SE9172 on my mobo and it's a LOT slower than an intel controller...I wish I had bought a board that has at least the newer Marvel 9230!

When you say FSX start up, do you guys mean starting up FSX or starting a flight? Because as long as you have "DisablePreload=1" in your fsx.cfg under [Main] starting up FSX shouldn't take long at all.

When starting a flight...

i use a 3 TB HDD just for storage and 3 ssd's for boot and flight sim and games, i would never go back to the old HDD for a boot drive, it's amazing how big some of your fsx directories are,mine is 61 gig and i thought that was large.

Yes, Intel needs simple souls like me to promote their SSD's on a relatively unrelated forum, you're seriously funny!

That's a funny idea!!! Did you think I was talking about you? I was talking about the test you referred to. I know that Intel need smart souls to promote their stuff.

Spirit

That's a funny idea!!! Did you think I was talking about you? I was talking about the test you referred to. I know that Intel need smart souls to promote their stuff.

Spirit

Trust me, I don't need this site to know that Intel makes the most reliable SSD drives, it's a well known fact and no surpise to me if you ask me, considering that they're the leading CPU maker in the world and pushing bounderies year after year. I just shared the link hoping that it would have more impact than my personal opinion, obviously not. :D

But hey, if you want to try the other brands because you assume that these reviews were paid for, be my guest, then you might as well start to ignore every review of every product, good or bad.

But hey, if you want to try the other brands because you assume that these reviews were paid for, be my guest, then you might as well start to ignore every review of every product, good or bad.

Don't care very much about any reviews.

Spirit

Archived