When I was a boy...

Stillwater

... I did not miss any episode of Jacques Cousteau´s expeditions.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Idxae5NnCuo

(begin to watch it at 3:33)

So it was an easy decision for me when I was asked to join a Great Barrier tour with his successors. Departing from Townsville...:

SXaHK.jpg

HjcPa.jpg

... the weather was not looking so good (FSX real weather, REX clouds):

XdIM2.jpg

But after some minutes heading north, the colourful spots appeared. Simply fascinating views, I felt:

gRHa6.jpg

NhDXo.jpg

B1Yhi.jpg

LUGuH.jpg

9o1b6.jpg

nejH1.jpg

Fitzroy Island in the background:

ytOX.jpg

NVC2.jpg

Meeting colleagues at Vlassoff Cay...

WR86.jpg

... and dropping off some divers at Green Island...

wl3O.jpg

... before heading back to the mainland:

waEtk.jpg

Cooling down at the Cairns marina.

nXJ1W.jpg

What a great pleasure to fly this tour, just the right one for a sunny autumn afternoon!

Excellent Shots... Jacque Cousteau was incredible...  Unfortunately those that should have watched apparently did not and one day those that did are going to pay the price for those that didn't.... Sorry for the soap box but ocean ecology is a very upsetting subject to me as the though of looking out or over at a dead ocean really turns that smile upside down.  

Apologetically

Dreamer

Excellent Shots... Jacque Cousteau was incredible...  Unfortunately those that should have watched apparently did not and one day those that did are going to pay the price for those that didn't.... Sorry for the soap box but ocean ecology is a very upsetting subject to me as the though of looking out or over at a dead ocean really turns that smile upside down.  

Apologetically

Dreamer

Beautiful shots Gerold. Perfect combination of scenery and bird. Thanks for posting.

First off , I loved the video . I had never seen it before . Beautiful trip you embarked on , all the shots were top notch . All and all ,  one heck of a post my friend .

Cheers

Brad

Really great shots! :)

Superb set of shots Gerold!!

Adam

there awesome mate!!!

Gorgeous old girl and fine shots!

I don't know if I like more the story or the shot 8)  But I like it.

Fantastic shots Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thanks for your comments, mates! It really was a great flight, repeating recommended.

Real nice set Gerold, tha Cat looks good!

Great set and one cool cat.

A great fan of Mr Cousteau and always enjoyed his adventures on the TV.

Outstanding set Gerold - both pics and video - really an adventure in screenshots!

Excellent, great idea. 

Once again: Thanks for your motivation, mates!

Another lovely set Gerold, and thanks for the youtube link. I have watched many of his exploits, but somehow managed to miss this one. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

So much good work from you here in this post. By the way, yesterday I was screening an old book from my shelf: "Celebrating Australia" by Steve Parish. I was happy to find an aerial picture of Green Island there, with Jetty & helipad. Amazing, how close to your scenery mother nature has come!

Archived