This Week's Meaningless Topic (#208)(August 28)

Hi all. Last night, I watched a fun YouTube video in which AvAngel made a difficult sim landing in high winds. I watch her videos regularly and enjoy her bubbly personality. Other good sim videos feature regular updates of new sim plane or scenery offerings, and some offer flight adventures or travelogues. I started wondering what others are watching, and that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  What internet flight simulation sites do you enjoy watching?

• Like 4

there are some great ones out there, I also follow Johnathon Beckett, 320Sim pilot, just been watching Capt Nabs, and Aussie flight simmer does some good news stories...

I really don't like watching ones where they are showing you something but playing crazy music at the same time, very annoying...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

I am happy enough when I find the time to fly myself. So no space left for watching YT… yet

Same here, but I have watched 320 SimPilot and Aussie flight simmer a few times.  Mostly I look at what the new 2024 sim will look like right now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

A channel I used to love was "On The Glideslope", by a fellow who went by "Basement Fly Guy."  He filmed nice videos of flights in his simulator cockpit.  His channel is still up on YT, but sadly he has not added new content in a few years.  But he inspired me to build my cockpit.  Take a look: among his last is a tour of Orbx "True Earth SoCal."  Apparently he is alive and well, but no longer involved in the online flightsim community.  There are a couple of similar channels like "CessSim" but I don't find them as useful or interesting.

Other than that, I haven't been watching fligtsim videos, though, as noted before, I follow real world aviation channels.  My favorite in Josh Flowers' "Aviation 101" (featuring his lovely fiancee, A&P Mechanic and Pilot, Chelsea Smith).  Like Adam I also like Steveo, and also Stevie Triesenberg.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I used to watch Aussie flight simmer and Simhanger - but they went too "commercial' and that annoys me

we get enough advertising in life without it in simming

I forgot to mention Warbirds - but he has turned to Choppers recently

on a similar subject - anyone noticed that Orbx has been advertising for a Marketing man - experienced in e mail

advertising - Stand by chaps for a barrage👎 - as if we don/t get enough from them

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

anyone noticed that Orbx has been advertising for a Marketing man - experienced in e mail

advertising 

I bet they haven't been advertising for a man, that sort of thing stopped years ago. :D

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, John York said:

Don't do flight simming any more.  At 91 still enjoying life and at last able to join in the forum/s.

at least you are still here John, glad to hear you are enjoying life at a spritely 91....

• Like 4

3 hours ago, John York said:

Don't do flight simming any more.  At 91 still enjoying life and at last able to join in the forum/s.

That's so good John! It's folk like you that make this forum such a pleasure. Simming or not, but a shared passion. Appreciate your positive, interesting contributions and unlike some people I know in their 90's, not grumpy :)

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, John York said:

Welcome back, John. Glad you are able to rejoin. Nothing like having a good Cockney aboard to spice things up!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TuFun said:

I don't watch someone since I can do that on my own, but I do watch "Missionary Bush Pilot".

And since I grew up around muscle cars I watch "Autotopia LA".

I've watched an episode or two of " Missionary Bush Pilot.". Really impressive, but I can't quite identify with it.  I'm A great enthusiast of almost all means of transportation, from "shank's mare" to ox carts to Concordes.  But I just can't get excited about automobiles.  

Ken

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ken Q said:

But I just can't get excited about automobiles.  

Ken

I'm a hot rodder at heart. I have lived that dream since the '60s. Friends I know had Corvettes (58-73), Camaros (67-70), and one had a '70 Heavy Chevy Chevelle (454ci).

I had an Agua blue '68 Mustang Fastback built for racing in the '70s!  I had stuff in that car that is standard today... electric fan, electronic ignition, etc. I'm still living that dream today!   

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I miss driving.  In my work I drove 1000's of miles every year in my company car.  However, after I retired I continued driving my own car until I was 80.  Then realised that at that age if there was an accident within a 100 yards/metres from me I was likely to get the blame!  We go everywhere we want to go by taxi now.  In the long run it works out cheaper.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, John York said:

I miss driving.

I have to drive every day and I hate it....to many cars, to many people not concentrating, no common sense, earlier this year some fool tried to get in between me and the caravan I was towing... - shall I go on?...

Edited by wain71
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

I heard a low-flying aircraft over my house maybe 500 ft with smoke trailing out of both engines heading away. Then heard those twins heading my way and saw the wing tips being round along with the tail so it had to be a Piper Apache.  I watch the Apache fly directly over my house on a return trip almost tree top trailing vapors.  Pest control sprayers! 🙄

Piper Apache.jpg

Edited by TuFun
Aztec E aircraft not Apache
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, TuFun said:

I heard a low-flying aircraft over my house maybe 500 ft with smoke trailing out of both engines heading away. Then heard those twins heading my way and saw the wing tips being round along with the tail so it had to be a Piper Apache.  I watch the Apache fly directly over my house on a return trip almost tree top trailing vapors.  Pest control sprayers! 🙄

Piper Apache.jpg

I do bet that got your attention. How's your stomach now?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

I do bet that got your attention. How's your stomach now?

Told my brother we should run back into the house and close all windows and doors. I was a kid riding my bicycle behind a pesticide truck spraying the white cloud of fog.

All the kids riding with us did the same.  Surprised I didn't get some kind of sickness from that... nothing like a cloud of DDT in your face.

That was in the '60s...

DDT truck.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, John York said:

I miss driving.  In my work I drove 1000's of miles every year in my company car.  However, after I retired I continued driving my own car until I was 80.  Then realised that at that age if there was an accident within a 100 yards/metres from me I was likely to get the blame!  We go everywhere we want to go by taxi now.  In the long run it works out cheaper.

Sounds familiar to my Father John. He travelled around the state

for many years as a sales rep for a company selling automotive

parts and bits and pieces. He gave up driving around 2 years ago,

he's 86 now. As you get older reflexes and age ailments come into

play so you have to do the right thing. We have a bus stop out the

front and he gets the occasional cab when needed. All in all it has 

worked out fine.👍

cheers

Gumby

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Driving.

They do say that age is just a number.
I have seen this chap a few times:
Still trucking at 91 - Britain's oldest lorry driver first got behind the wheel when a gallon of fuel cost 10p - LancsLive
I have only been doing that for a measly 50 years. :)

It must be said that like Brian, I have come across plenty of drivers who got their licences with cornflake packet tops,
who have no idea how to drive and who no one would think were "too old" to be driving.

Open rant:
Here in the UK, the rule is that when joining a dual carriageway, the speed should be built up
in the acceleration lane and then, having matched the speed of the traffic, drivers should merge with the traffic flow.
My current pet hate is that this very sensible rule is now widely ignored, to be replaced with:
Drive down the acceleration lane at a speed of your choice, do not even glance to your right to see if there is already
a vehicle, often a 44 tonne artic, with traffic to its right, in the lane that you want to join , and then, right at the end of the
acceleration lane, either slam on the brakes, or finally accelerate.
Once this is done, drive up to the large lorry and gesticulate at the driver, whose fault it was that you so nearly killed yourself,
as these days, no one takes any responsibility for their own actions at all and everything, it seems, is someone else's fault.
Close rant.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, TuFun said:

Told my brother we should run back into the house and close all windows and doors. I was a kid riding my bicycle behind a pesticide truck spraying the white cloud of fog.

All the kids riding with us did the same.  Surprised I didn't get some kind of sickness from that... nothing like a cloud of DDT in your face.

That was in the '60s...

DDT truck.jpg

"I love the smell of DDT in the morning." (Movie reference 😉)

21 hours ago, John York said:

I am sure Rodger wonders what happened to his thread 😉

However - 2 cents from me who - at 89 - is probably the second oldest on here - and I can't agree with my older colleague above who gave up at 80

I have to admit to giving up my very fast V8 - 2 years ago - but that was only because of the hole it was making in my old age pension with 

cost of fuel and extra registration costs but I am still flight simming in my spitfire - etc - skimming through all the high rises in Orbx cityscapes 

I still drive myself to doctors and Hospital visits and to my kids now and then - and the weekly shop with the missus - but only in her Mazda 6

little car - and feel sure that I am not adding to the poor road statistics these days

Edited by John Heaton
  • Upvote 5

42 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

I am sure Rodger wonders what happened to his thread 😉

I learned long ago, John, that the suggested weekly topic was just a starting point. As long as we are having a good time, I'm satisfied.  Having said that, I'll go off-topic too and note that I'm like you and most of the time limit myself to familiar territory. Sometimes medical appointments will take us off the beaten path, but Spokane is not so complicated that it's hard to get around. But I respect John and want to follow his lead. There will be a time not too far off when I need to surrender the keys. As my eyesight deteriorates and my reaction times slow, I'm very mindful of the safety of others on the road. I'm 81 now. To quote Clint Eastwood, "A man's gotta know his limitations."

• Upvote 2

At 76 I guess I'm kind of "middle aged" in this particular discussion of driving.  For years I have limited/avoided driving at night.  I hoped that after cataract surgery (in 2012) I'd find it easier, but since I have a "macular ripple" it did not help a lot.  Since the pandemic we have not taken any road trips, but that is in part because our aging kitty (now 16) takes our absence so hard.  it's hard to leave him for a day at work, and we just can't enjoy ourselves worrying about him for over an overnight trip.

If I ever have to give up driving entirely we're really screwed.  Public transportation here is a joke. What little there is unreliable, infrequent, and the pick up stops too far from our home or any plausible destination to be practical.  Taxis are prohibitively expensive, $15 or $20 for a short ride of a mile or two. To just go grocery shopping would involve two separate trips, and cost at least $30-40! Going to our doctor just as bad, or worse.  And should such occur  while we're still working, it would cost nearly as much as we earn just to get to and from work since we live in one county and work in another.  And we don't happen to have kids we can impose upon.  

Ken

• Sad 3

On 8/31/2024 at 6:22 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Drive down the acceleration lane at a speed of your choice, do not even glance to your right to see if there is already
a vehicle, often a 44 tonne artic, with traffic to its right, in the lane that you want to join , and then, right at the end of the
acceleration lane, either slam on the brakes, or finally accelerate.

I see this often, sometimes the opposite though, where they are entering a live lane from the slip road doing about 35-40mph, it causes absolute chaos as there's usually a long line behind them.....I don't drive trucks now just my little van but sometimes when I am in the car towing the caravan (yeah some of those are annoying too) we are over 30ft long and articulate  near the middle and I want to enter the motorway at a good rate of knots to filter in and some fool is trying to cut in at the last minute, drives me bonkers...

I think everyone should experience how hard it can be to slow down a large truck / vehicle when someone pulls out like that....I also think the fact I rode a motorbike makes me more aware of contact having been knocked off by a driver once, it hurt!!!!

• Upvote 3

The rules here in Queensland are clear on this entering the freeway

There is a full line for some distant which you must not cross - followed by a dotted line that you may cross

and oncoming vehicles must give way

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, John Heaton said:

oncoming vehicles must give way

Fortunately, on our dual carriageways, oncoming vehicles are very rare and their drivers do not often survive the experience. :D

I see what you mean though.
There are dotted "Give Way" lines here too and to get onto the dual carriageway, drivers must cross them, so
even the road markings are crystal clear, which is why the current practice of just driving out regardless shows
not only a disregard for everyone else but ignorance of even the most basic elements of the Highway Code.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I think John and Nick are using the term "oncoming" in different senses.  Following Nick's meaning, if I am understanding this rightly, as driving against traffic on a divided highway;  here it happens way too often.  The results are tragic.   Just a week or so ago a young mother was driving west in the east bound lane.  The resulting collision killed her nine year old son. (Her driver's license had been suspended 53 times, but she still drove). Some years ago a wedding party riding in a limo southbound was struck by a vehicle going north in the south lane.  Several were killed, including a five year old girl.  And one in my personal experience:  A friend from work and his family were returning from a camping vacation.  My friend drove one car, his wife with their children and nieces were in another.  The wife got onto the Parkway going in the wrong lane.  The collision killed her and the four girls.  The boy, severely injured, survived.  My friend lost almost his entre family. The two men in the other car were also killed.  Part of the problem is outdated and unsafe parkways, especially at night. But alcohol is always involved, and now (legalized) marijuana is adding to the problem.  

But as to John's meaning, that is a serious problem on these roads too.  Built in the 1930s to take those few rich enough to own a car on a leisurely drive to the newly opened state parks, these roads have narrow lanes and lots of curves.  Intended for a 40 MPH speed limit, they also have notoriously short acceleration/deceleration lanes.  They were never intended for the volume or speed of today's traffic.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 3