Jump to content

Do you follow the check lists?


John Dow

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, wain71 said:

can't see it as I don't do FB, I'll use my imagination though...

 

I don't do Facebook either but if you just click on the link you will get a "See More on Facebook" pop up requesting a log in etc.  Just click on the X in the circle to close the pop up and you should be able to play the video.  It worked for me.  

 

Rod

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm very much a "by the book" flyer.  I have built my sim cockpit to replicate that of the Mooney M20M Bravo as much as possible, and without spending more than the wife will allow (and she has allowed a lot, I'd say close to $10,000 if you include the two Jetline computers).  I use a published "Checkmate" checklist, and simulate all parts, including the walk around.  I have a copy of the POH in the cockpit.  I use by the book start up procedures, and fly with PilotEdge live ATC.  I have Navigraph Charts displayed on a tablet mounted to the yoke; it's much like Foreflight, but a lot cheaper and better suited for the sim. I like the challenge of doing it all in a real world fashion. 

 

I'm A regular customer of MyPilotStore.com.

 

That said, it's just a fantasy after all.  At least until I get into the left seat of my friend's Comanche.  Then I bring my sim knowledge to the real world, and the real world experience back to the sim.  

 

And, yes, Rodge is right.  It takes all types to make the sim world.  This is the beauty of it.  We have the tools, the scenery, airplanes, software and hardware and online resources now available to fly our sims anyway we want.  And we can change our minds if we choose.  In modern flight simulation there is so much available that we can choose to do what we like, and as the old song says, "do it my way."

 

Ken

 

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, stiletto2 said:

 

I don't do Facebook either but if you just click on the link you will get a "See More on Facebook" pop up requesting a log in etc.  Just click on the X in the circle to close the pop up and you should be able to play the video.  It worked for me.  

 

Rod

it worked today, how weird was that...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll be honest with the default Bus in MSFS I don't need a checklist, however I have got PMDG 737 and FS2CREW SOP2, I'm going to use the printout instructions for both as I have no clue with Boeing, same with the CRJ.......sometimes though it is nice just to fire the sim up with a little GA on the runway and just go....I'm glad though that we are all different....

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of sim aircraft have systems that are not modeled well, if at all.  So there are items on the check list that don't really do anything.  With a new aircraft I just get in the cockpit and take it for a touch and go around my home airport to see what it does and what's required to get it in the air.  I do look at the checklists and after several flights I develop a mental check list of what is necessary to do a flight.  Sometime I make a shortened written check list of my own.  

 

Most of my flights are less than three hours.  I have gravitated from private piston engine aircraft to turboprop airliners to jet airliners that are fast enough to get somewhere in two or three hours.  I usually climb to altitude then put the sim in 2x speed until its time to descend in land.  My only military aircraft is the A2A T-6.  Lately I have been flying the Virtualcol CRJ and A 220.  They are inexpensive examples of aircraft that have the basic necessary systems modeled.  they look OK, and have a few quirks that make them interesting to fly.  I also fly the Carenado B120 turboprop.  It will punish you if you don't treat it right.  For private aircraft I mostly fly the A2A Comanche, becasue my brother had one and I have flow in the real aircraft. 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Bullfox said:

A lot of sim aircraft have systems that are not modeled well, if at all.  So there are items on the check list that don't really do anything.  With a new aircraft I just get in the cockpit and take it for a touch and go around my home airport to see what it does and what's required to get it in the air.  I do look at the checklists and after several flights I develop a mental check list of what is necessary to do a flight.  Sometime I make a shortened written check list of my own.  

 

Most of my flights are less than three hours.  I have gravitated from private piston engine aircraft to turboprop airliners to jet airliners that are fast enough to get somewhere in two or three hours.  I usually climb to altitude then put the sim in 2x speed until its time to descend in land.  My only military aircraft is the A2A T-6.  Lately I have been flying the Virtualcol CRJ and A 220.  They are inexpensive examples of aircraft that have the basic necessary systems modeled.  they look OK, and have a few quirks that make them interesting to fly.  I also fly the Carenado B120 turboprop.  It will punish you if you don't treat it right.  For private aircraft I mostly fly the A2A Comanche, becasue my brother had one and I have flow in the real aircraft. 

 

Hey Bullfox. You mentioned Virtualcol, one of my favorite developers for the reasons you cited. Look good in the air, inexpensive, and simple to fly. These guys are Columbians and do a great job of customer service. I recently asked if their Dash 8 series is going to be updated for MSFS, and they said yes, probably by September or so (just in time for MSFS2024?). As one who already has that series in FSX and P3D, I'm getting in line right now! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2024 at 8:11 PM, gumbypickett said:

I'm just happy if I get off the ground. This guy

in the video presses buttons quicker than I

can use a computer keyboard.

cheers

Gumby

He knows where the buttons are, probably has no idea what buttons on a keyboard do.  Besides "P" for "Pause" I don't either. Keyboarding is not one of my better skills.

 

Ken

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2024 at 12:51 AM, flyingleaf said:

Do I have to?:rollmyeyes::D

No, you don't.  You may, but don't have to.  The beauty of simming is that it is as realistic and demanding as you want it to be.  There is no wrong choice.

 

Ken

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

No, you don't.  You may, but don't have to.  The beauty of simming is that it is as realistic and demanding as you want it to be.  There is no wrong choice.

 

Ken

All of this said, I do recommend a very minimal "check list" for every sim pilot.

 

For many years I followed a YouTube series called "On the Glideslope" by a gentleman who went by "Basement Fly Guy."  One video he did at Van Nuys in his sim, he got to the end of the runway, and pulled back on the yoke and. ... Nothing!  So minimal check list:  make sure your yoke, pedals, and any other controls or peripherals are talking to the computer.  Easy way to do this set outside spot view and wiggle the controls.  If surfaces move as they should you're good to go.  

 

By the way BFG's website has been down for a long time, and he hasn't been on PilotEdge edge either.  I hope he's OK.

 

Ken

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...