This Week's Meaningless Topic (#178)(Feb 2)

Hi all. Graeme ["boetie"] recently wrote to note that sport plays a big part in life for most of us. He wondered if we might see what sports we Forum folk are into outside our traditional geographical zones (Sumo anyone?). Great idea, and thus this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANNGLESS TOPIC:  In addition to your local sports/teams/games, what sports from other global regions do you enjoy watching? 

• Like 5

Unfortunately, Rodger - apart from my fanatical love of Ossie Ruby League and test cricket with the odd 50 over game

I might watch the Rugby League from the UK

Too you guys in the USA /Canada - you could tune in to a live RL game which is to be played in Las Vagas in March

which features my Beloved Brisbane Broncos and a team from Sydney

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

now this is a good topic, I'll be interested in the answers for sure.....I love to watch any NFL & MLB, I don't have a favourite team but just really enjoy watching both, I do sometimes watch College NFL on TV and MLB is really good if the commentators are good, I got in to both in the 80's, I was stationed in Berlin and worked closely with some American soldiers, they showed me a great time when the Superbowl was on, 1986, that's also the first time I had a McDonalds, I remember the milkshake and how thick it was.....I also really enjoy watching Aussie V8 Supercar Series, don't usually get to see it live but TNT Sports in the UK does show complete race reruns during the season, again there are a couple of great commentators.....

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I'm not much of a sports fan. I do enjoy going to an occasional baseball game; I'm a fan of our local Minor League team, the Long Island Ducks.  But here is an interesting turn, if you will:

I am employed by Nassau County Museums, which is part of the Department of Parks.  This summer the Department is hosting the World Cricket Championship at Eisenhower Park, and they are building a special stadium for the games.  Now while we have a lot of recent immigrants fro countries where cricket is popular, so far the sport has not really caught on in the wider population.  It is still considered rather exotic.  Maybe that will soon change.

Ken

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I watch boxing (Anthony Joshua) from Europe and Japan (Naoya Inoue), but mostly I just watch highlights from the NFL and NBA. Too many commercials for me in the modern regular broadcasts. But I admire the heck out of people who work hard and do well in any sport.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I will admit to, on occasion, watching American Football.

What I hadn't realised until my son married Morgan, a lass from Nebraska, was that the NFL is not really where it's at.

College football is the real heart of the sport.

I have even been to a match - at Memorial Stadium the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. 80,000 or more home fans, always a sell-out apparently.

Morgan's Dad used to play trumpet in the marching band when he was a student there and remains a great fan.

He introduced me to the whole experience, including Tail Gating, and seemed genuinely impressed that I actually knew some of the rules!

So - for me - Go Huskers :)

All the best,

John

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

I watch boxing (Anthony Joshua) from Europe and Japan (Naoya Inoue), but mostly I just watch highlights from the NFL and NBA. Too many commercials for me in the modern regular broadcasts. But I admire the heck out of people who work hard and do well in any sport.

I record the game on the DVR and watch later skipping right over the commercials.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Being from the USA it might sound crazy, but I enjoy watching Australian rules football.

We Australians who are Rugby fans - declare AFL to a kind of Aerial Ballet dancing using a small Rugby ball:D

Edited by John Heaton
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

We Australians who are Rugby fans - declare AFL to a kind of Aerial Ballet dancing :D

AFL for me John. I could never understand why a big burly rugby player

would have the ball and then run into a pack of bigger burly rugby players.

To many head knocks perhaps.:blink:

In your defence though John, AFL has turned into a girly game over

the years, you can't blink or turn sideways these days without some

repercussion.

And I stand unanimous on this. :lol:

Nothing like a bit of friendly banter John.👍

cheers

Gumby

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

AFL for me John. I could never understand why a big burly rugby player

would have the ball and then run into a pack of bigger burly rugby players.

To many head knocks perhaps.:blink:

You could say the same for the American NFL - big burly guys - who wear large shoulder pads and helmets -

whilst our lads - disdain to use such weighty apparatus - and play a faster open game gaining larger distances per play:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

That's a fair call John.

Have we started a topic?

C'mon our Yankee friends what do you think?

Oops the Yankees are a Baseball team.

Now I'm confused between Baseball and Cricket.

Perhaps I should call it quits.:huh:

cheers

Gumby

• Haha 2

Another great topic Rodge!  ;)

As well as my beloved local, geographical sports, rugby and cricket (currently watching West Indies v Oz on a Friday night) I love watching the winter sports from Europe and North America. Snow has always fascinated me. There are the non conventional sports such as drone racing that I'll watch if I see it on. Perhaps not outside my geographical zone but a global sport is F1. I never miss a race be it live or replay.

Cheers mates

Graeme :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

That's a fair call John.

Have we started a topic?

C'mon our Yankee friends what do you think?

Oops the Yankees are a Baseball team.

Now I'm confused between Baseball and Cricket.

Perhaps I should call it quits.:huh:

cheers

Gumby

NO - NO - definitely not

Remember as  kids ?- when both little lads and little girls played one of our early sports in the UK - called "Rounders"

before the lads grew up to play "cricket"

The Americans - and Canadians adopted the game and called it 'Baseball":rolleyes:

that might just help you understand it:D

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

For our American friends. There are generally two games in Oz played mainly through the winter months. There is AFL (Aussie Rules Football) which is more popular in Western Australia, South Australia, Northern Territory, Tasmania and the where the money is in Victoria. AFL a sport peculiar to Australia although it shares some of the rules of Gaelic Football in Ireland. There are two Rugby codes, those being Rugby League which is predominantly played in NSW and QLD in Oz and mainly the northern counties of the UK - and a bit in New Zealand. The other rugby code is Rugby Union (the game they play in Heaven). This code is a bit more global being played in Africa, South America, UK and Europe, Japan, Oz (NSW/QLD) and NZ and Oceania. Both codes originated in the UK but have some different rules. Over the years the New Zealand All Blacks have been the powerhouse of Rugby Union. My personal player of all time being Richie McCaw :)

During summer all states and territories unite and play cricket!

Edited by boetie
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

NO - NO - definitely not

Remember as  kids ?- when both little lads and little girls played one of our early sports in the UK - called "Rounders"

before the lads grew up to play "cricket"

The Americans - and Canadians adopted the game and called it 'Baseball":rolleyes:

that might just help you understand it:D

I don't remember the term Rounders, I think I'll take

your word for it. 

I'm only a week away from being 56 yrs young,

please go easy on me.:lol:

cheers

Gumby

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

I like the NBA, at present I'm watching Boston Celtics

and L A Lakers. I need Lakers to win for a $90 payout.😲

cheers

Gumby

did you win?

which game on OZ do I remember a term 'Sausage rolls'?....or did I miss hear it? I tried to google it but just got lots of pastry pictures...I'm sure the commentator mentioned it on and old computer game I had but this was in the 90's and I have drunk a few lakes of cider since...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, wain71 said:

did you win?

which game on OZ do I remember a term 'Sausage rolls'?....or did I miss hear it? I tried to google it but just got lots of pastry pictures...I'm sure the commentator mentioned it on and old computer game I had but this was in the 90's and I have drunk a few lakes of cider since...

I did indeed win and I only know sausage rolls as the

pastry dish. However to the song "I like Rock and Roll"

sung by Joan Jett and the Black hearts some of us down

here would sing, I love sausage rolls.:D

School time memories are flooding back.

cheers

Gumby

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

I did indeed win and I only know sausage rolls as the

pastry dish. However to the song "I like Rock and Roll"

sung by Joan Jett and the Black hearts some of us down

here would sing, I love sausage rolls.:D

School time memories are flooding back.

cheers

Gumby

I took this from a website - AFL TERMS EXPLAINED.

Sausage Roll/Snag – A word used to describe a goal

I knew I'd heard it somewhere....always being told I have a head full of useless crap, but good at general knowledge quiz's...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I've loved all the reply's :)

However, I'm disappointed no-one has mentioned Shinty.

I'm disqualified from mentioning it because I'm from Scotland!

I believe the Irish have a version called Hurling.

Not sure how to describe it. Stick and ball game.  A bit like hockey but without the sensible rules.

Forget the team doctor and call for the team dentist :lol:

All the best,

John

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, John Burgess said:

I've loved all the reply's :)

However, I'm disappointed no-one has mentioned Shinty.

I'm disqualified from mentioning it because I'm from Scotland!

I believe the Irish have a version called Hurling.

Not sure how to describe it. Stick and ball game.  A bit like hockey but without the sensible rules.

Forget the team doctor and call for the team dentist :lol:

All the best,

John

John I think I've seen Shinty on TV, looks very aggressive to play, didn't understand the rules for sure....Wife has a relation in Ireland who was apparently a top Hurling star a few years back, we've been over there when there's a big game on and the place comes to a standstill, pubs are lively then to...

• Upvote 1