This Week's Meaningless Topic (#173)(Dec 29)

Hi all. 2024 promises to be a year of major weight -- political strife, financial uncertainty, military conflicts, and so forth. Under the load of all that, we need something to lighten the load. I'm a lifelong fan of newspaper comic strips and find them to be great antidotes to the serious news. Australia's Ginger Meggs. Scandinavia's Hälge the Moose, England's Andy Capp, the USA's Calvin and Hobbs, and many others bring a much appreciated bit of a grin to each day. And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  What comic strip(s) from your country do you recommend as fun to follow?

• Like 5

I get my comics from three sources, all online -- two online newspapers and a comic strip subscription service. My must-have strips are Pearls Before Swine, Tundra, Zits, Pickles, Calvin and Hobbs, Kliban, Frank and Ernest, and Peanuts. In reality, I daily enjoy several dozen strips plus numerous editorial cartoons. Gotta get my laughs in each day!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

I fondly remember Calvin and Hobbs.  Other long gone favorites were Bloom County and Pogo.

Today I have a few favorites.  First, Wiley Miller's Non Sequitur. Then Zits and Mutts.  Also Pickles has its moments, especially helping oldsters like us laugh at ourselves.  Except for Non Sequitur these appear in the local newspaper.  Non Sequitur got booted because the cartoonist failed to delete political marginallia but is available on line. (The strip is highly political, but does not name names. Except this once).

I still subscribe to Newsday, the regional newspaper for Long Island, New York.  But it has gotten very expensive. Sixty years ago I delivered this paper.  I had a route of about thirty customers.  It cost them a nickel a day, or $0.30 per week.  I paid $0.22 for a week's run of the paper, and the rest was my pay, plus tips.  So I earned about $2.40/week, plus maybe another $1.80 in tips.  Living high on the hog!

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

A side note for those who might enjoy reconnecting with the daily comics, gocomics.com has a large selection of comic strips and editorial cartoons in a wide variety of genres. If you miss enjoying a daily laugh, this is a great place to plug back in. The small annual fee is well worth it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

A side note for those who might enjoy reconnecting with the daily comics, gocomics.com has a large selection of comic strips and editorial cartoons in a wide variety of genres. If you miss enjoying a daily laugh, this is a great place to plug back in. The small annual fee is well worth it.

I look in the mirror for my daily laugh Rodger.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

I use this site to follow Non Sequitur since the newspaper dropped it.

Ken

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1