This Week's Meaningless Topic (#146)(June 23)

Hi all. All of us fly sim programs that allow weather variations. We can head up into live weather, fair skies, thunder storms, rain, sleet, or snow. We can land with calm skies, nasty crosswinds, variable gusts, or ugly turbulence. It's that wonderful variety that brings up this week's meaningless topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  What weather do you enjoy flying in with your flight simulator?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, W2DR said:

Whatever the real weather is at the time.

I basically agree.  But although I am working my way through the PilotEdge "I Ratings," I prefer VFR conditions. I like to enjoy the Orbx scenery. I do fly IFR on occasion, but often I just wait it out.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I fly for the fun of back-country scenery, so I usually set it to clear skies or fair skies in order to see as much as possible. And thanks to Orbx, there is a lot to see, even for us old f*rts who have stuck with the older sims. I'm soon leaving Gibraltar to head for Cairo. Love it!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

me I prefer Live weather unless I am testing something specific then I might set clear skies etc, I think though it's whatever you prefer, I can see why some will only have clear weather always especially when you bought a ton of scenery...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Usually use live weather, but if I am just sight seeing in a small plane I will turn off live weather and fly under clear skies. If the weather is reasonably clear I leave the live weather on all the time. When flying the 737 I always use live weather - you can always do a Cat III landing if you need to.

Larry

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I do tend to find myself selecting Clear Skies a fair bit to enjoy the scenery I have paid for. That said, I do occasionally select Live Weather and the generated weather is not like any preset, it can be quite a visual spectacle.  

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

You really hit a point for me with this topic, Rodger.

I use to simulate trips that I have done in reality in the past or would like / will do in the future. BTW, this often touches another hemipsphere with opposite seasons.

This means, in p3d I use to fly with "Live Historic Weather" from Active Sky.

In MSFS I still struggle with this, and will now check what "Rex AccuSeason" does. In the meantime I only use "few clouds", for the same reason as everyone above.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I normally  use clear skies because I'm testing new scenery and have to spot small details, but for general fun I use the Few Clouds to add interest and be able to see the scenery below.  Been known to through in a few nasty weather presets just for fun sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Live weather, mostly, but I am often annoyed by the change in weather. Prepare myself and the aircraft for a particular runway , only to find out on taxiing that the wind changed direction!  and another runway has to be used. Same and even more annoying is this problem with landing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Live weather for the 'realism'

or

Clear skies with scattered clouds for VFR sight-seeing

or

Anything I fancy for taking screenshots.

All a bit predictable and boring really! 😴

But I do enjoy live weather (when It works properly) when visiting a new location. For me, it adds to the immersion factor. 😀

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

On 6/24/2023 at 2:27 PM, Stillwater said:

You really hit a point for me with this topic, Rodger.

I use to simulate trips that I have done in reality in the past or would like / will do in the future. BTW, this often touches another hemipsphere with opposite seasons.

This means, in p3d I use to fly with "Live Historic Weather" from Active Sky.

In MSFS I still struggle with this, and will now check what "Rex AccuSeason" does. In the meantime I only use "few clouds", for the same reason as everyone above.

My choice currently is "REX Weather Force 2020". Flying on the other hemisphere or in other than the current season I can choose a "dynamic weather preset", which slowly changes the conditions during the flight. Still not "real historic", but at least a little surprise in it.

• Like 2