This Week's Meaningless Topic (#138)(April 28)

Hi all. My flight computer just announced that its memory was full and I could not load what I wanted to load, nyah, nyah, nyah. If I could afford to shoot it, I would. So now I'm talking to my computer expert, who tells me we can deal with the problem for somewhere between $350 and $2000 depending on how much stuff I want to bring up to date, most of my computer's guts now being two or three generations old. ARGH! And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  How much have you invested in flight simulation over the years?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hello Rodger, 

a frighteningly large amount, within the context of my income.
I justify it to myself as having had thousands of hours of entertainment,
having made new friends, both online and in the real world, who
share an interest in flight simulation and having a very good computer.

This takes no account of the addon aircraft, scenery and utilities that
have been bought and installed on successive computers since 1996.

I am quite happy to avoid sitting down and adding it all up. :)

What do you mean "its memory was full"?
If you mean disk free space, that is one of the least expensive parts of a 
computer and as a rule, one of the most easily fixed.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

How much have you invested in flight simulation over the years?

I can easily add it up, as I do have a list of all the software I´ve bought since 2012. I do know how much I spent for this current computer in 2012, and for its upgrade in 2017 (this was about 600 EUR without looking in the files). And now he has come to the end of his usage period - 10.5 years is not so bad. Which means I could also tell you what the new machine will cost, and it is for sure more than your indicated "upgrade", Rodger.

Which means: If you can prolong the lifetime of your rig by investing in RAM, SSD and a GPU, it might be a good move. Knowing that GPUs can cost a fortune nowadays.

Why don´t you let us know what you have and want to replace?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

I can easily add it up, as I do have a list of all the software I´ve bought since 2012. I do know how much I spent for this current computer in 2012, and for its upgrade in 2017 (this was about 600 EUR without looking in the files). And now he has come to the end of his usage period - 10.5 years is not so bad. Which means I could also tell you what the new machine will cost, and it is for sure more than your indicated "upgrade", Rodger.

Which means: If you can prolong the lifetime of your rig by investing in RAM, SSD and a GPU, it might be a good move. Knowing that GPUs can cost a fortune nowadays.

Why don´t you let us know what you have and want to replace?

My computer guru is digging into it next week. Nice thing is, I trust the guy--he's honest and expert. I'll pass along the suggestions. Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

My pc would be the most one off expense around

$2000 plus another $500 for a new monitor.

Orbx products and aircraft purchases over the years

probably another couple of thousand. As I go for another

tissue and wipe my eyes, I think it was all worth it.:)

cheers

Gumby

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

I am quite happy to avoid sitting down and adding it all up. :)

I agree with Nick. I don't want to know as it has no bearing on the enjoyment I've gotten from simming for the last 39 years. All I know is that whatever the investment is, it pales when compared to what I've spent on flying real-life aircraft and the boats I've owned  :)  .....Doug

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Several computers plus many Orbx and other add-ons later, my wife likes to point out that we could have bought a small car for the same amount of money. She doesn't complain, so I don't feel guilty. 

Much like Rodger. Actually a small fortune since I got back into Flightsim about ten years ago.  But my wife doesn't object either. Actually she has remarked that we could be well on our way to buying the Pacific Sea craft Orion 27 sailboat we long dreamed about.  Unfortunately age, an accident, and mobility issues have killed that dream, but at least I have my (virtual) Mooney M20M "Bravo".

Last March I bought a new Jetline computer for $3500.  That moved to client status (but still yet to be set up) A $2000 Jetline five years earlier.  Therefore I don't have Rodger's problem (yet).  I have four large HDs for files, and quite a bit of operational memory.  I need it.  I have 12 Saitek FIPs, real performance hogs.  I paid for 9 of them at $150 each.  Three were sent in error, but before I could arrange to return them Saitek went out of business.  More recently I bought a Diagma GNS530 ($300), three Propwash units (Dual Radios, Transponder, Autopilot, $130 each).  Desktop Aviator Fuel Selector, Cessna Switch Panel, Flaps Controller $75-100 each).  Go flight and Saitek annunciator panels ($100 & &150).  Most recently a Javiator Audio Panel ($195).  Not to say anything about two yokes (CH) and rudder pedals (CH & Saitek).  Of course this is over quite a few years.

Then there's the 48" curved gaming monitor ($800).

Some (much) of this gear replaces old gear from Saitek which I bought first. Including two com panels, switch panel, multi panel ($150 each). This is good equipment made before the Logitech takeover.  Just as I am aiming for more immersive realism I am trying to make my cockpit look more like that of the Mooney Bravo.  This is still serviceable equipment, Just is too unrealistic in appearance and too big for the cockpit I am currently building.  I did get several years of very enjoyable "flying" for this equipment.  If anyone would like my hand-me-downs, (US only) PM me, you may have them for the cost of shipping.

I'm afraid to add it all up. But again, except for the computers, over the years I don't think I spent much more than $1000 A year. Of course that does not include the software, mostly Orbx.  Fortunately Orbx has had regular sales.  But alas, my days of buying Orbx are over unless there is a change of heart and we see some P3D 4 & 5 scenery.  I have every product currently offered that I could possibly use.

Speaking of sailboats: my wife just noted a parallel.  It has been said that "A boat is a hole in the water lined with wood, or fiberglass, into which you pour money."  She opined that a computer is a box on the shelf into which you pour money.  Add a Flight simulator to it, and can be a LOT of money.  But like the sailboat, it's worth it.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Have to agree about the boat Ken.  I've had my share over the years and only recently have become boatless....if that's a word.

It's said  that the two happiest days of a boat owners life are the day you buy the boat and the day you sell it.   LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Have to agree about the boat Ken.  I've had my share over the years and only recently have become boatless....if that's a word.

It's said  that the two happiest days of a boat owners life are the day you buy the boat and the day you sell it.   LOL

I basically grew up sailing. An old 14' Blue Jay during H.S. and college years, sailing the many bays and waterways of South Shore Long Island.  Then in college sailing every thing from IC Dingies to a Mariner Ketch, with concentration on Blue Jays, and later, 17' Barnegates.  Later yet, a Tartan 37.  But the only one I actually owned was the Blue Jay, which I sailed until it was badly damaged by a hurricane.  So hence the dream.  The tough part is the timing.  During most of our working years my wife worked M-F, while I worked W-S, so no weekends off together.  Besides, when we had the health and strength, we didn't have the money. Now it's the opposite. So Flightsim is the consolation prize.  But honestly, I don't have the ambition or enthusiasm to put into maintaining a boat now. So yes, Rob, your observation about happiest days is very accurate!

Ken

P.S. I retired at the end of 2011, already suffering from bad arthritis.  But then a two weeks before that my wife fell down the stairs, fracturing the right tibia plateau.  We're both physically challenged since.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ken Q said:

Last March I bought a new Jetline computer for $3500.  That moved to client status (but still yet to be set up) A $2000 Jetline five years earlier.  Therefore I don't have Rodger's problem (yet).  I have four large HDs for files, and quite a bit of operational memory.  I need it.  I have 12 Saitek FIPs, real performance hogs.  I paid for 9 of them at $150 each.  Three were sent in error, but before I could arrange to return them Saitek went out of business.  More recently I bought a Diagma GNS530 ($300), three Propwash units (Dual Radios, Transponder, Autopilot, $130 each).  Desktop Aviator Fuel Selector, Cessna Switch Panel, Flaps Controller $75-100 each).  Go flight and Saitek annunciator panels ($100 & &150).  Most recently a Javiator Audio Panel ($195).  Not to say anything about two yokes (CH) and rudder pedals (CH & Saitek).

That sounds like fantastic equipment Ken. You may need to add a photo here...

3 hours ago, Ken Q said:

But alas, my days of buying Orbx are over unless there is a change of heart and we see some P3D 4 & 5 scenery. 

Same for me here, currently. We´ll see if there is some interesting stuff made by them for MSFS.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Quite honestly - I have no idea how much I have spent over the 38 years of flight simming up to and including P3D and XP

I must have enjoyed it - or I wouldn't have spent it.:smile:

The same applies to the rest of my activities - owning my own aircrafts - 4 different sailing boats - including my last 40-footer

that I sailed the Queensland section of the Pacific in - solo - for 2 years in my early 70's.

Then 2.8 years ago - I got hit with a new phenomenon called MSFS 2020 - and the same problem facing Rodger - my PC good enough for P3D but 

oh! -  so many problems trying to cope with the power-hungry Sim -- but a Saviour on the horizon called X Box Series X - just $A750 

compared to say 2000 bucks just to upgrade the PC.

Then we had a Covid shortage of electronic bits and pieces - and here in Australia no chance of a box for 2 years - as it turned out - so I sold

my very old V8 for what amounted to scrap price - and did a partial upgrade that cost me around the $2K - and have enjoyed the sim to the

extent that - I spend most of my time - pretend flying - and the odd war games. :smile:

Last week - I got an offer from my earlier waiting list attempts at getting an X BOX - so - sod the expense - and bought one - just because

I could !!.        Please don't ask me why - because I couldn't explain that to the wife either:blink: - but I can satisfy myself - I think! - because I can

now use my 50" 4K HDR 10 TV - that sat idle because my PC could only handle the sim in HD

Soooh Rodger - somewhere in that diatribe could be the answer you are looking for - an X Box for $US 500?? :rolleyes: -/- $2000 upgrade??

- and no matter what you decide - you will still be a member of this forum ;) - and still asking us difficult questions every week:o

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

I can't be sure how much I have spent over the years, built this PC back in 2013 however 2 GPU'S and 3 CPU's later it's hardly the same rig, add to that 2 M.2 drives and two larger HDD's....then there's the yoke and pedals that are currently in the loft (no space), TCA Airbus kit and X52 Pro, add on the software etc it'll be a tidy sum, but, I have no guilt about it... I have had hundreds of hours maybe thousands of hours of fun, sometimes frustration but we've all been there.....we are only here the once and you got to have some interests, when I hear what some people I know spend weekly on going to watch Football my costs pale into insignificance....I bought an Xbox, runs the sim and looks lovely but I can't get on with the controller so it's been sat in the drawer since update 9, prefer my PS5 really.....in 2 years I will be the grand old age of 60, I have already announced to the wife that I will be doing a full PC upgrade, everything to the latest spec, there was no argument, not even a roll of her eyes, it's like one of my daughters says, 'well mum at least you know where he is'.....

best of luck with your PC Rodger and like Gerold said of Ken's set up, I would love to see a picture, I really like to see what others are using... 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, wain71 said:

when I hear what some people I know spend weekly on going to watch Football my costs pale into insignificance....I bought an Xbox, runs the sim and looks lovely but I can't get on with the controller so it's been sat in the drawer since update 9, prefer my PS5 really.....

best of luck with your PC Rodger and like Gerold said of Ken's set up, I would love to see a picture, I really like to see what others are using... 

Sheesh  mate - I find that a little surprising that a bloke with your talent doing flight tests for you know who - even the Vulcan:rolleyes:

All the dosh - that a PS5 costs - could have bought you all sorts of controllers for the X box - even a cheap Hotas - or even a ThrustMaster

Here's my PC setup - but I don't have a pic of my X box setup as yet -  but it does have the cheap T/master Hotas

P1020782.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Stillwater said:

That sounds like fantastic equipment Ken. You may need to add a photo here...

Same for me here, currently. We´ll see if there is some interesting stuff made by them for MSFS.

Photos will come soon, I promise.  There are a couple of photos of my current, soon to be replaced set up in a couple of posts in this forum, but o don't recall just where.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

SDC11625.thumb.JPG.031a24884d3281e2edbf7b45d82360ad.JPGSDC11631.thumb.JPG.70d97ca8d3ab6788b582e856800f97c8.JPGSDC11630.thumb.JPG.ee913a87d5cf9c4682e07382bea86591.JPG

10 hours ago, Ken Q said:

Photos will come soon, I promise.  There are a couple of photos of my current, soon to be replaced set up in a couple of posts in this forum, but o don't recall just where.

Here are some. First, my current setup:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5

@John Heaton yeah I know but it's just the using only the XBOX controller I find a pain especially in say the Airbus or 787, not so bad in the GA's, maybe I'll look at a cheap stick just for the Xbox, especially as I have just bought a 50inch UHD Ambilight Phillips TV, might look nice on there for sure...

@Ken Q that's one hell of a set up you have there, great work, all I have is a trim wheel, 3 Saitek panels and my laptop at the side for charts....

@TuFun my first one was a Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick for Flight Simulator 98, thought I still had both but sadly it looks like they have gone to the charity shop...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wain71 said:

@TuFun my first one was a Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick for Flight Simulator 98, thought I still had both but sadly it looks like they have gone to the charity shop...

I have 3... one Microsoft Force Feedback Pro and two Force Feedback 2.  The Pro power connector broke so Microsoft sent 2 Feedback 2 free of charge. At that time sticks were being discontinued and Microsoft said to keep the extra.

Edited by TuFun
  • Like 3

RealworldMoooney.thumb.jpg.6f4b508d7e3beff60d56580d0b4fd7b9.jpgLeftSide.thumb.JPG.cd45239ec28a6efb7ee19e8440d6a33e.JPGRightside.thumb.JPG.d4a11e7cde4a916c9e9ec202435c657f.JPGUSBHubsIOboards.thumb.JPG.b29db827681b4872d59e9c1a1370c576.JPGHere are a couple of pictures of the new instrument panel under construction, as well  as a picture of the real world Mooney Bravo panel the I am using as a guide.  Note the somewhat unusual location of the landing gear lever, high up in the center of the panel.  Flaps control is under the mixture control.  In my new setup Gear is in the right place, but flaps will be next to the TPM rather than below it.  Of course I am using the Saitek FIPs for gauges, with (mostly) Tom Tsui's gread gauges for the Mooney Bravo.  In the last set of pictures you might notice I have modeled the fuse panel on the right.  In the new panel the fuse panel will cover the USB Hubs and USB interfaces,  (last picture) conveniently concealed but readily accessible by removing a couple of screws.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

TuFun modestly skips noting that he is the one who painted this Rubber Ducky B-25 for the cover of our ROORD series of novels. Also did the other planes in the B-25 unit and made two wonderful videos of the unit in flight over the Alps. Also painted us a ROORD Air Transport Beaver. He's a charter member of The Royal Order of Rubber Ducks and has a rubber duck to prove it! Very talented guy!

(PS: those who want to read the novels should contact me by PM above or at rodgerpettichord@hotmail.com. I'll make sure you have free access.)

Edited by Rodger Pettichord
clarity
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2023 at 7:25 AM, Ken Q said:

Hi All,

The promised photos are posted in this Forum under the title "Promised Pictures.". Posted June 13.

Ken

• Like 2