This Week's Meaningless Topic (#74) (Feb 5)

Hi all. Most of us have had cats or dogs as pets and soon realized that they shared more than just physical space with us. They were emotional companions as well -- when we were sad or happy, they knew it and responded accordingly. They shared one other common ground with us, and that brings up this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  When did you first realize that your cat or dog buddy had a wicked sense of humor?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

The day my cat, Indiana Jones, started ensuring that I wake up exactly at 0530 every morning in order to serve him breakfast. Not 0531, but 0530. No questioning. If one refuses or tries to ignore him, then he will repeatedly jump from the floor up onto your sleeping form, landing on your stomach, or worse, manhood. Rinse and repeat until you wake up and feed him. Love my buddy :) 

Landon

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

The day my cat, Indiana Jones, started ensuring that I wake up exactly at 0530 every morning in order to serve him breakfast. Not 0531, but 0530. No questioning. If one refuses or tries to ignore him, then he will repeatedly jump from the floor up onto your sleeping form, landing on your stomach, or worse, manhood. Rinse and repeat until you wake up and feed him. Love my buddy :) 

Landon

Cat alarm clocks are the best.

We give her the first half of breakfast wheneve she disturbs us in the late night, somewhere between 0400 and 0530. But the second half is requested at 0645 sharp, no matter if working day or weekend. Also, she gets a snack at 1200 - and that is the time she meets by the minute, just as you described, Landon.

When we receive a package, she will be there to capture the box as soon as we have it emptied. Any box, no matter the size. Some boxes are so unpolite, they are too small, but they are tried and tried and tried.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

the trouble is if your cat is like ours she doesn't know what day it is, that means she will wake you on the weekend to, have to hide under the duvet while she tries to tap you on the head / face....she likes a box to.....

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I used to tease my cat Dennis (the menace) by poking my fingers between the cushions on our sofa, diligently pulling them away before he could claw them, however my unsuspecting late father in law had his fingers between the cushions when Dennis thought "I'll have them" and sure enough he did, much to the chagrin of my father in law.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Cat alarm clocks are the best.

10 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Any box, no matter the size. Some boxes are so unpolite, they are too small, but they are tried and tried and tried.

6 hours ago, boetie said:

If you have a cat you're never in charge. Don't kid yourself :)

9 hours ago, wain71 said:

the trouble is if your cat is like ours she doesn't know what day it is, that means she will wake you on the weekend to

All of you are spot on. Indy fits all of those descriptions. Boxes are such a big deal, that for the last couple of years, I buy him actual cat furniture that is made out of boxes and recycled carboard...he loves them! There are little two story cardboard cat condos all over my house. Does help save on the actual furniture though, as he loves sharpening his claws on the cardboard. Still, when a package arrives, there is nothing better for him than an old fashioned box, no matter the size, just like Gerold said.  Our animal buddies are some interesting, loving and funny critters :) 

Landon

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

There are little two story cardboard cat condos all over my house. Does help save on the actual furniture though, as he loves sharpening his claws on the cardboard.

We´ve got one cardboard with heaps of paper in it. Sometimes a terrible sound, plus a roaring bear...

And we have 4 old chairs as "sacrifice anodes" placed in the flat, that she is allowed to attack. What she does...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

All of you are spot on. Indy fits all of those descriptions. Boxes are such a big deal, that for the last couple of years, I buy him actual cat furniture that is made out of boxes and recycled carboard...he loves them! There are little two story cardboard cat condos all over my house. Does help save on the actual furniture though, as he loves sharpening his claws on the cardboard. Still, when a package arrives, there is nothing better for him than an old fashioned box, no matter the size, just like Gerold said.

We have purchased a couple of cat beds over the years but a couple of 9 by 13 inch envelope boxes on a table by the window are still their favorite sleeping spots.

Larry

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, larryisenor said:

We have purchased a couple of cat beds over the years but a couple of 9 by 13 inch envelope boxes on a table by the window are still their favorite sleeping spots.

Larry

Of course...that's how it works :D

• Like 2

A couple of years ago I gave my wife a sweatshirt with a black silhouette of a cat (our Chessie is black) with the logo "Cats are in charge-get used to it." Boy, are they as the comments above point out.  Contrary to Wayne's comment, some cats certainly know what day of the week it is, though don't expect the little fur ball to respect your day off by allowing you to sleep in.  Your day off is just a day when the kitty can demand even more attention.  And they can count!  Chessie gets six cat treats from each of every day at 1800.  He knows it and insists on it.  The problem is changing the clocks at the end of Daylight Saving time.  He doesn't buy it; no excuse for his treats to be late.

But in terms of a sense of humor, I have to hark back to Claymore, an earlier cat.  We had an old fashioned desk top phone answering machine.  She by accident found out that pressing the button made a beep.  She had so much fun with that discovery, pressing the button whenever she wanted attention.

Ken

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Landon

Forget about a ships chronometer, Rolex watch or the Atomic Clock!  There is no time piece as accurate as a cat's stomach!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ken Q said:

Forget about a ships chronometer, Rolex watch or the Atomic Clock!  There is no time piece as accurate as a cat's stomach!

I couldn't have said it better Ken! Spot on :) I literally don't set an alarm anymore, because I know Indy will wake me up promptly at 0530. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The first cat I ever took home for myself at age 6 was a small kitten who looked like Tom from the Tom and Jerry cartoons - we had several adult cats that Mum and Dad were allowed to manage and Tom fitted right in there.  However, the joke was on me as several months later "Tom" produced a fine litter of variegated kittens!  So she became Thomasina on my mother's suggestion although my father unkindly suggested she should be called Tart .....

• Haha 4

On 2/4/2022 at 4:24 PM, gregmorin said:

My Boston Terrier Benji, it is 2 am in a blizzard, 0*F and he has to go out. But...........He cannot go out until I shovel a place on the deck for him.:rollmyeyes:

Love him anyway.

Greg

Last weekend we had a blizzard here, first one in four years.  While the snow was falling, accumulating quickly, and the wind blowing, and the temperature around +10, Chessie INSISTED he had to go out!  We have a large screened porch (about 18' x30') where he is allowed.  Well, on this occasion there was something that required his immediate attention.  So out he went, ran the 30 feet to the north end in about five seconds, and returned to the door to be let in in another five seconds.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

OK, not exactly on topic, but here's the story about the time Chessie, my cat, applied for a job at the museum where I work.  My at that time boss, and still my good friend can't stop laughing when he thinks of it (which was today when we met for coffee).

At the museum we always employ some contractors for special jobs.  These contracts are supposed to be put out for bids.  But in a living history museum finding competitive bidders can be difficult, if not impossible.  Well, with a new administration in place my colleague "H" was tasked with getting alternate bids for all of our contracts.  He managed to drum up most of them, but was stumped by the contract for Paul, the decoy carver. (Someone who carves fake birds to attract the real ones- today a popular folk art).  Decoy carvers (like hatters-me) don't grow on trees, and H could not find anyone to be for the contract.  So, my cat Chessie applied.  I set up an email account for him, and he applied, noting that he had spent his whole life (at that point about 20 months) studying birds, and was quite expert at carving them.  He demanded a compensation to reflect his expertise, and of course Paul had his contract renewed.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The big problem my wife and I have with pets is they're b......y heart breakers and die.  When our last little dog went, we said; 'That's it.  Never again.' And we haven't.  Mind you when we have visitors with a dog or cat, they get a lot of attention. And I have a very large and lifelike hairy dog sitting beside me in our lounge.  He even barks when I touch his leg!  The beauty is he can't b......y well die on us!  

• Upvote 1