P3D v5.3 is here!

mfannee

LM recommends a complete reinstallation of P3D 5.3 but before proceeding you would need to know if the Orbx products are all compatible with this Ver. 5.3 starting with Orbx ObjectFlow.

It would be appreciated if Orbx gave an answer regarding the compatibility of its products to wait to install P3D 5.3 pending any updates of its products.

For sometime I have been thinking of dumping V5 as I don't think it as good (stable) as V4 and I now only 

use P3D for the aircraft I can't have on MSFS and all long flights over 10000 ft

This gives me the excuse to clear all of it - and just reinstall the vanilla v5 until I see what 

the new one offers - LM has its own 2 TB drive so bags of room - none of this separate drives problems

only then - will I go and reinstall - step by step - all my Orbx stuff using Central - making the assumption

as I did when V5 first came out -that if Orbx installed it - it must be OK ??

However - I will not do the above new Vanilla Install for another 3 weeks - as On the last occasion

LM gave us a Hot fix to a stack of probs V5 brought - 3 weeks later:banghead:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'd recommend a complete wipe (uninstall from Add & Remove programs and then remove folders afterwards) and clean install.

BAT file for complete wipe, example of what I use (yours will vary per install paths):

rd "D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5" /s /q
rd "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5" /s /q
rd "C:\Users\Rob\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons" /s /q
rd "C:\Users\Rob\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Files" /s /q
rd "C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5" /s /q
rd "C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5" /s /q

V5.3 is a step forward and performance is VERY good

Cheers, Rob.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

Ok, I uninstalled P3D v5.2 HF 2, but didn't uninstall Orbx Central.

1) When fresh installed P3d v5.3, and then oppened Orbx Central, it showed Orbx Global, Libraries and Airports free as already installed. They were installed to the Main Library instead of P3D, but ...

2) I decided to cycle their install, uninstalled the three, then reinstalled.

- It looks like everything is working ok, so apparently this 5.3 doesn't bring incompatibilities with Orbx Global, Libraries and Global Airports ( free version ), but I would like to know if his is correct ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wise87 said:

Won't installing Orbx Global, Trees and Landclass over write the new PBR textures in 5.3?

Yes, but Orbx textures even without PBR look better than default P3D textures with PBR.  I am having an issue with TE Florida and trying to figure out if it's me or something else.  Perhaps Orbx can comment on whether or not they'll update Global, Landclass, Trees, HD buildings to PBR ... big project and small user base these days.

Global and PMDG are working very well 50-60 FPS external and in VC with very high graphics settings and 44-51 FPS at very large 3rd party airports in PMDG.  Be careful with Clouds at "Ultra", I run at "High".  I also have OS GPU scheduling enabled, HT OFF as usual, but experiment with these might provide for a better (smoother) experience if one is having stutters:

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=255
P3DCoreAffinityMask=255
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=7
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=3

I can't find where these are listed in the .CHM but Jannie R. helped bring this to my attention ... they will appear in the Prepar3d.cfg after installation.

Cheers, Rob.

PMDG777Sunset2.jpg

PMDG777Sunset.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Yes, but Orbx textures even without PBR look better than default P3D textures with PBR.  I am having an issue with TE Florida and trying to figure out if it's me or something else.  Perhaps Orbx can comment on whether or not they'll update Global, Landclass, Trees, HD buildings to PBR ... big project and small user base these days.

Global and PMDG are working very well 50-60 FPS external and in VC with very high graphics settings and 44-51 FPS at very large 3rd party airports in PMDG.  Be careful with Clouds at "Ultra", I run at "High".  I also have OS GPU scheduling enabled, HT OFF as usual, but experiment with these might provide for a better (smoother) experience if one is having stutters:

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=255
P3DCoreAffinityMask=255
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=7
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=3

I can't find where these are listed in the .CHM but Jannie R. helped bring this to my attention ... they will appear in the Prepar3d.cfg after installation.

Cheers, Rob.

PMDG777Sunset2.jpg

PMDG777Sunset.jpg

What is your screen resolution and AA settings? 

2 hours ago, sidler said:

now Objectflow will not install! What am I missing?

I followed Nick's topic and uninstalled P3Dv5.2 leaving all my Orbx and 3rd party software in the P3Dv5 folder, I then did a full install of P3Dv5.3, ran the necessary with Global, OpenLC products and Libs and Object Flow is all good.

My Object Flow is in an external library, so would not have been involved in the uninstalling.

Object Flow.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I installed P3D v5.3 tonight and had quite a few test flights:

as far as I can tell, all my Orbx sceneries work properly (openLC, airports, etc).

As advized, I completely removed P3D v5.2 (see post of Rob Ainscough hereabove).
Since my Orbx sceneries are installed in a library, in theory all I needed to do to get Orbx working in the new version was open the settings in Orbx Central, then go to the Help section, and click Sync Simulator. I did that, and just to be sure I also uninstalled and re-installed Global Base Pack (I think it was needed in the past). 

That's it.

Edited by mfannee

Wow Rob !

To me it looks way better than MFS !

Are you using ActiveSkyP3D ?  What settings in there and in P3Dv5.3 Graphics / World / Light... ?

Any fine-tuning of the volumetric clouds in the CFG s ?

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 2

I haven't done any "tweaking" yet, this is out of the box with Orbx TE Netherlands and PMDG 777 and FlyTampa EHAM V2.  ActiveSky not installed yet, this is default fair weather theme.  I need to install GSX, HiFi ASP, AIG, and ChasePlane.

Graphics settings (I moved up to 4XSSAA to see how it impacted FPS:

P3DV5Settings-World.jpg

P3DV5Settings-Display.jpg

P3DV5Settings-Lighting.jpg

P3DV5Settings-Traffic.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, davenicoll said:

How did you get your TE regions working?

Hi Dave,

I started with a clean slate (no prior V5.2 installed), new full install of P3D V5.3, no issues other than the download/uncompressed problems I had with FTX Central that Doug helped me resolve (corrupted files).

I recommend a new clean install (wipe all prior P3D folders per my post above).  If that's not an option for you, in FTX Central run "verify files" and make sure all are good, then do a Sync.

Cheers, Rob.

Unfortunately yes, clean full install and wipe all prior vestiges of P3D V5.x.  AND whatever add-ons you re-install verify they work with P3D V5.3 via vendor.

Not an optimal way to "update", but it will ultimately save you time in the long run and you'll have a properly working P3D V5.3.

After that, you might want to "tweak" these settings in your Prepar3d.cfg:

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=65535
P3DCoreAffinityMask=65535
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=4

They will vary by CPU, GPU, and even OS settings and version, so it's a case of trial and error.

Cheers, Rob.

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2021 at 2:18 PM, CZZ said:

Just a note to say that v5.3 runs fine here.

I mainly use the TEarth areas.

v5.3 loads faster.

Take care

I noticed that last night as well. It loaded tremendously faster. Before it was minutes (3-5), now it's seconds. I will have some house cleaning to do this weekend. 

On 12/2/2021 at 2:24 AM, Rob Ainscough said:

I'd recommend a complete wipe (uninstall from Add & Remove programs and then remove folders afterwards) and clean install.

BAT file for complete wipe, example of what I use (yours will vary per install paths):

rd "D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5" /s /q
rd "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5" /s /q
rd "C:\Users\Rob\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons" /s /q
rd "C:\Users\Rob\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Files" /s /q
rd "C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5" /s /q
rd "C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5" /s /q

V5.3 is a step forward and performance is VERY good

Cheers, Rob.

Rob Quick question: Delete all folders, what happens to all your aircraft, scenery etc? I get the others like ProgramData, Local and Roaming. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...