Gateway of India

bernd1151

Having been to Mumbai so many times, this scenery was an instant buy for me. I only hope that the developers will one day also add Dehli, because this part of the world desperately needs more quality coverage.

Like in the good old days, I arrived at my destination by boat. But of course I did not expect to get the royal welcome treatment :)

pu078tg.jpg

Instead nobody bothered, which was fine of course

BoZEXrC.jpg

DQcgFtS.jpg

aFSws0N.jpg

My preferred stay in Mumbai was the Taj, and if possible a room in the old wing. It gives you the feeling that the days of the Raj are back. Maybe Gerold, who must have been to Mumbai as often as me, likes this hotel too  

PHnXcyn.jpg

The view from the hotel’s roof is quite nice

Iem6YG2.jpg

The swimming pool looks a bit better in reality, but that's alright :)

BhxOARJ.jpg

Of course the adjacent newer hotel complex offers from its top an even better view

zIzW0ZN.jpg

QmEN1aU.jpg

An Indian business associate of mine invited me one day for lunch at the Royal Bombay Yacht Club (they never changed the name to Mumbai Yacht Club and dress code is still today strictly observed). But before we went there, he showed me a photo, quite similar to this one and asked me, which of these two buildings would I think to be the Yacht Club. I have been to the Karachi Yacht Club for lunch, so I pointed to the right building, as it looked very similar. Of course I was wrong, it is the red building to the left. The right one in this case is a hospital. A bit of trivia: when you enter the Yacht Club, it gives you the impression that the British Raj has actually never left India.

eFHcSHY.jpg

The beauty of virtual travel is that you have the place you visit all to yourself. No pigeons, no vendors, no huge crowds and no one tries to steel your wallet

yG0pAKX.jpg

xOqtDKJ.jpg

OvS4i9H.jpg

Thanks for viewing

Edited by bernd1151
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Only our forum friend Gerold gets the VIP welcome in India ; for the rest of we can only dream . B):D

BTW - What a great post Bernd , loved the shots and the back stories. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Great post Bernd. Fantastic shots & narration! Nevertheless, I miss the people around, India does not look like India without masses of people.

Pmv6Ckg.jpg

6 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Maybe Gerold, who must have been to Mumbai as often as me, likes this hotel too  

Oh yes Bernd, I once visited this impressive hotel and it is as great an attraction as the Gateway (and the historical buildings around) are. Nevertheless I tend to stay at the airport, as one always arrives or leaves in the night and I want to stay clear from the notorious traffic.

6 hours ago, BradB said:

Only our forum friend Gerold gets the VIP welcome in India

The biggest VIP welcome I would dream of would be a quick immigration. I am always guided to the slowest queue, where the fingerprint scanner does not work :banghead:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BradB said:

BTW - What a great post Bernd , loved the shots and the back stories. 

Many thanks, John

6 hours ago, gregmorin said:

Bernd

Simply fantastic post. Great shots and story!

Greg

Thanks a lot, Greg

3 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Very interesting back story to a great set of shots.

The luxury launch, did that come with the Cityscape?

TTM

Thanks, buddy. The yacht is the FSX one from Deltasim

3 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great post.

cheers

Iain

Thank you very much

1 hour ago, carlosqr said:

Loved it, all of it

Nice style

I've been touring myself too but have not descended that low yet

Thanks for sharing

Cheers

Carlos

I'm happy you like them Carlos

36 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Great post Bernd. Fantastic shots & narration! Nevertheless, I miss the people around, India does not look like India without masses of people.

Many thanks, Gerold. I knew you would like them :) And of course you are correct re the people, even the noise, pigeons, even cows etc are part of the unique Indian experience. The only thing I can easily do without are stomach cramps from some of the dinners I had there, even in good restaurants.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Namaste,

I am so happy about the new Mumbai scenery - shaabaash!

I love to fly around Mumbai as often as possible, and I have seen also improvements for Navi Mumbai!

Nonetheless, as there is always area for improvement, I hope that Orbx may consider these items for the next scenery update ;-)

- Haji Ali Mosque

- Slum areas e.g. around the airport and Dharavi should look like slum areas

- The small boats near Gateway of India should be fisherboats and tourist boats, and not luxusboats of the crorepatis

- Improvements of the Juhu Airport and the CSI airport

- optionally the planned International Airport in Navi Mumbai could be added (as a fictional basic airport with its 2 runways) - that would br great!

Especially for the upcoming 75th birthday of India on January 26, that would be really great gift for the India related community!

Namaskar,

Claus "MumbaikarJi"

Edited by MumbaikarJi
  • Like 1

strange feeling to see these screenshots of a modern India ..beautiful of course ... but I have still the memories from a long journey I made bythere about 20 years ago : so beautiful places and interesting old building and lovely multiethnic people, colors, ... but always a so huge poverty and misery ... I wonder if Bombay / Mumbai has really changed - of course more modern places but the suburbs ... I guess there the misery is still so terrible and just a bit less visible ? :huh: