This Week's Meaningless Topic #6 (Oct 17)

Hi all. At the request of absolutely no one, we move on to this week's Meaningless Topic. Here is the chance for you to display the wisdom of a lifetime, demonstrate creative humor, or just wander off in confusion. Peace be with you.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  What is your favorite job out of all you have held? (For me, the greatest privilege was being a parish pastor, but my favorite job was being a laborer in an aluminum plant--worked with a great bunch of guys.)

On 10/19/2020 at 5:31 AM, W2DR said:

Setting pins at a bowling alley when I was nine years old...

Never had this job myself, but my Dad did as a teenager. He often talked about it, obviously one of the more fun jobs that he had.  He reminisced that the great fun was rigging the pins when a young dating couple came in to bowl. As he described it, the pins had a holes in the bottom that were set on pins or pegs operated by a foot pedal.  When the girl bowled, he'd set the bowling pins a little off center, and as her ball reached the pins, he'd stomp on the pedal, knocking over the pins.  A strike every time.  When the guy bowled, on the other hand, he'd set the pins on the pegs, and keep the pedal depressed a bit so it held the pins and kept most of them from falling, no matter how good the shot.

I'll add my personal observations later.

Ken

1 minute ago, TuFun said:

The coolest job I had was working on F-105F/G, F-4C/D/E/F/G, B-52G/H, A-10C, and finally my last aircraft the F-16C/D models. My best job was working for FedEx as computer techie. The most meaningful thing I did is accept Jesus as Lord!

I envy you lot.  I don't want to put a downer on things but to be truthful, while trying to do the best I could at them I didn't really enjoy any of the jobs I had.  They were all connected with the shipping industry and very worrying!   

On retirement moving to live in England's beautiful West Country was the second best decision of my life.  The best decision was marrying my wife now of so many years I can't remember I have certainly enjoyed my retirement more than at any time in my life.  Long may it last!

best job for me was serving in an Infantry Battalion in the British Army, taught me so much about myself and others......I always wanted to be in the Army, a courier and work airside, sadly didn't get airside but enjoyed 21 years as a self employed courier....

only ever had one bad job, selling fish products in pubs on Saturday nights, lasted 2 weeks..lol....the smell....urgh

6 hours ago, wain71 said:

best job for me was serving in an Infantry Battalion in the British Army, taught me so much about myself and others......I always wanted to be in the Army, a courier and work airside, sadly didn't get airside but enjoyed 21 years as a self employed courier....

only ever had one bad job, selling fish products in pubs on Saturday nights, lasted 2 weeks..lol....the smell....urgh

wain 71 reminds me of the time I worked on a chicken farm. One whole shed got diarrhea, and two of us were sent in with wheelbarrows and shovels to clean it up. I'll never forget that smell!

1 hour ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

wain 71 reminds me of the time I worked on a chicken farm. One whole shed got diarrhea, and two of us were sent in with wheelbarrows and shovels to clean it up. I'll never forget that smell!

That sounds like quite the party....reminds me of the first time, while deployed to an austere environment,  I had to burn a 50 gal drum of...well, you've all seen the war movies where they have to burn cr@p...the best part is having to stir it so it all gets burned up. One is never too tall for that task...Good times :) 

In some 50years of humdrum, I've had some fun and interesting times.  There was the Navy.  On the cusp of being drafted during Vietnam, I high tailed to the Navy Reserve recruiter; spent two years on the North Atlantoc.  But the best time was later, as a drilling reservist I a Mobile Undersea Warfare unit, camping on Fishers Island for the summer training.  Later, during Desert Storm/Shield I was sent to Naples, Italy and Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.  A very interesting time, got to see a lot of Italy. Then met my wife in London and spent Christmas and New Years with family and friends in England.

I had wanted to teach medieval languages and literature at a university, but that didn't happen.  So I fell back on my second choice: museums.  In 1990 I started at Old Bethpage Village Restoration, a living history museum interpreting local 19th century rural life.  I like to teach, research, and work with my hands, so this was and is perfect.  I was a blacksmith, and yes Rodger, worked on the farm (no chickens with diarrhea, though.  I became the matter (not mad), and ended up as Village Supervisor and assistant director.  Retiring in 2011, I'm still at it, having returned part time in 2016.  A really great job.  I've loved it

But probably the best of all was graduate school. Perhaps it doesn't count as a job, but I did teach, and I did get paid for it.  Had a little basement apartment which was a gathering place for fellow students and faculty, a group that included the woman who became my wife.

Those were the best of times

Archived