New MSFS patch WOW

wolfko

I tried to fire up MSFS this morning and got a message that I had to update before it would start, it then took me to the store with no further info as to FIND and install the latest update. Anyone have any further info on this, what I have doesn't seem  right.

Don

2 hours ago, wolfko said:

Did a couple of flights with the new patch installed. Not one single stutter and an enormous boost of FPS. And I do not have to fly the sim on an unfocussed window anymore.:D

Same here. I didn't have serious stutters before, but it's smoother yet and performance is definitely better even in difficult regions (I tried the greater Vancouver region and Berlin). This thing is getting better and better.

Just tell me why they can't separate from the "any" key. 

Kind regards, Michael

I too am enjoying better performance with this latest patch, so I'm happy about that. Another bonus was it took a couple of minutes to download the 15 GiB update this time around. Compared to the excruciatingly lengthy 13 plus hours it took to download the game at launch, that's a win-win all around I'd say.

4 hours ago, pmb said:

Just tell me why they can't separate from the "any" key. 

Kind regards, Michael

The "Any Key to Continue" is classic console box software, in this case this is an X-Box title. Reminds me of all the Codemasters racing sims I have run on the PC version.

That's why the menu design is all big squares - designed to move around in the menus with a controller, mouse supported added on for PC. I keep meaning to use my xbox controller to use the menus instead of just for "drone" camera control.

7 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

You should be redirected to 650mb download in the MS store which was paused initially for me, so maybe you need to check and unpause it. Can you see MSFS2020 in the store? Then when you restart the sim, the big 15gb download will start. 

Thanks mate, got it downloaded and all good. Thanks for your help.

Don

I'm not giving MSFS a standing ovation just yet, sure the scenery is okay, but a lot is missing, like the bridge the (Coathanger) missing over the Brisbane river, and lots of other things, also the aircraft are pretty average, etc. Me I'll keep flying P3D and check in from time to time to see what's changed and improved.  That way I'll stay happy with my simming. I don't get to do a lot these days, so I want quality.

Don 

12 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

sure the scenery is okay, but a lot is missing, like the bridge the (Coathanger) missing over the Brisbane river, and lots of other things,

Not every city in this world can be done in photogrammetry, Don. But the good thing is, there are a lot of talented people out there, who put out freeware scenery to rectify things like this or the Sydney Harbour Bridge for example.

13 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

I'm not giving MSFS a standing ovation just yet, sure the scenery is okay, but a lot is missing, like the bridge the (Coathanger) missing over the Brisbane river, and lots of other things, also the aircraft are pretty average, etc. Me I'll keep flying P3D and check in from time to time to see what's changed and improved.  That way I'll stay happy with my simming. I don't get to do a lot these days, so I want quality.

Don 

19 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

Not every city in this world can be done in photogrammetry, Don. But the good thing is, there are a lot of talented people out there, who put out freeware scenery to rectify things like this or the Sydney Harbour Bridge for example.

There comes a hyped wonder-simulator and it is lacking Story Bridge and Sydney Harbour Bridge? I can not believe that.

But I let others try and report.

6 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

There comes a hyped wonder-simulator and it is lacking Story Bridge and Sydney Harbour Bridge? I can not believe that.

But I let others try and report.

Sydney Harbor Bridge is there, or let's say, at least a bridge is there. It was missing during the alpha, was reported and introduced in the release version.

Kind regards, Michael

IMHO, I think they could have cut the hype and delayed the release for a bit, and polished it up a bit more. I think they could have done a lot better with some of the major airports - Brisbane and Gold Coast are terrible as are a lot of others. I wont even go into the aircraft, I just hope the T.P. developers are working hard and will soon make some great fault free aircraft available.

Don

I love the scenery and graphics. But aircraft performance is what gets me. I can't seem to get the horizontal turbulence or wing roll to stop, even though they supposedly fixed it in the latest patch. If flying was as bumpy as in the sim, I'd have airsickness issues. That keeps me mainly in P3D for the time being. Scenery in the US is generally very good. I haven't explored enough to find enough fault in the scenery or graphics yet.

7 hours ago, jalbrech said:

I love the scenery and graphics. But aircraft performance is what gets me. I can't seem to get the horizontal turbulence or wing roll to stop, even though they supposedly fixed it in the latest patch. If flying was as bumpy as in the sim, I'd have airsickness issues. That keeps me mainly in P3D for the time being. Scenery in the US is generally very good. I haven't explored enough to find enough fault in the scenery or graphics yet.

Funny, I don't experience this rolling and unrealistic turbulance at all. But I have only flown GA aircraft in MSFS so far and I think to remeber that issue is more related to the heavies in MSFS, isn't it?

8 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

IMHO, I think they could have cut the hype and delayed the release for a bit, and polished it up a bit more. I think they could have done a lot better with some of the major airports - Brisbane and Gold Coast are terrible as are a lot of others. I wont even go into the aircraft, I just hope the T.P. developers are working hard and will soon make some great fault free aircraft available.

Don

Don, but the default MSFS Brisbane and Gold Coast airports are much better looking than the default FSX and P3d ones had.

And actually, also my hometown Innsbruck (LOWI) is not perfect, even not after Jarrad's update, e. g. a couple of bridges is missing, but only a local will realize this. And I don't care, this sim is sooo immersive because of lighting, clouds etc. that not even a missing Sydney Harbour Bridge can disturb it.

And anyway, In MSFS I have the whole world to explore, that I really don't care that some places I personally know are not perfectly modelled or that some POIs are missing.

Go bush flying or GA flying in general in an unknown region and you will know what I mean.

Efit: and MSFS is now much smoother with better performance than any other sim out there. And this although everything (scenery, shadows, lighting, water masks, etc.) are much more complex in MSFS.

I could never go back.

1 hour ago, wolfko said:

MSFS is now much smoother with better performance than any other sim out there. And this although everything (scenery, shadows, lighting, water masks, etc.) are much more complex in MSFS.

I could never go back

Wolfgang, my sentiments exactly and this happens to me on my mediocre rig :)

On 9/17/2020 at 8:58 AM, DunRingill said:

's amazing! Smooth and more fps.

Well, off to explore the world :D

Couldn't agree more. My rig doesn't even match wolfko's but this latest patch has taken away all the pauses and stuttering, even over central London (although you can tell it's just starting to struggle with a slight loss of smoothness, but it holds its own). One thing they seem do have done is make fewer trees visible in the middle distance. It was noticeable, but not distractingly so, flying down the valley from Darrington to Concrete. As far as I'm concerned MSFS is a masterpiece. Sure, a flawed masterpiece, but still a masterpiece! Just explore new places and enjoy the views! :-)

No turning around now! MSFS steadily improves and I have confidence that it will not slow down.  Third party developers are hard at work to give us more and better planes, scenery and utilities and ASOBO and partners add fixes and improvements identified internally and by the user community. Freeware enhancements from dedicated community enthusiasts abound. A hearty thank you to all! The boisterous winging and naysaying continues as always. Yes, even in this COVID-19 pandemic time the flight simulation world continues to evolve on a natural course. 

Agreed.  I've managed to change my settings to 'ultra' now and still no stutters. 

To be honest I am finding out just how beautiful our planet is with this sim.  Just flew down the west coast of Greece on the initial stages of my round the world tour in the C171 and it is stunningly beautiful.  Definitely somewhere to visit in real life when we're allowed out again. 

On 9/16/2020 at 6:54 PM, wolfko said:

Did a couple of flights with the new patch installed. Not one single stutter and an enormous boost of FPS. And I do not have to fly the sim on an unfocussed window anymore.:D

You DO realize, that they dumbed down the LOD's...trees,  ground texture...buildings...and turned this sim into basically FSX-Plus.  That..is why you are 'getting' 'better' performance...because they just DUMBED down the LOD sliders in the code.   I'm not buying another 3rdP product for MSFS, until I see what they will be doing with it, patch to patch, over the next 6 months.   What was supposed to be a visual wonderland...is now FSX-Plus...and the water looks like XP11.   Not purchasing an Xbox to run this latest dumbed down visual version. Going back to P3D v5 as my main sim.  MSFS is now on the back burner, a curiosity.  With this patch...I call it Bait and Switch.  The visuals are NOT what we had on the RTM day.  I'm disgusted.

12 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

You DO realize, that they dumbed down the LOD's...trees,  ground texture...buildings...and turned this sim into basically FSX-Plus.  That..is why you are 'getting' 'better' performance...because they just DUMBED down the LOD sliders in the code.   I'm not buying another 3rdP product for MSFS, until I see what they will be doing with it, patch to patch, over the next 6 months.   What was supposed to be a visual wonderland...is now FSX-Plus...and the water looks like XP11.   Not purchasing an Xbox to run this latest dumbed down visual version. Going back to P3D v5 as my main sim.  MSFS is now on the back burner, a curiosity.  With this patch...I call it Bait and Switch.  The visuals are NOT what we had on the RTM day.  I'm disgusted.

11 hours ago, stiletto2 said:

You are correct that all kinds of visual details are now missing.  No wonder the frame rates went up!  I think another update cannot be far behind.

Rod

Not on my System. I just compared screenshots I had made before the patch with how the same areas Looks now - absolutely no difference.

Could be that there are differences for users which used “Ultra” settings before. Again on my “High” to “Medium” settings Nothing has changed. And to call MSFS an FSX-plus is just plain ridiculous.  :lol:

@Orbx Flyer are you really that disappointed? Maybe your expectations only have been too high? Before the release you have been the most exited user here on the forums. I guess that’s what I am now. I love this sim! :D

@stiletto2 The vast majority of simmers is happy with the patch and the performance upgrade and how “bad” the sim is now allegedly looking. So why  should there be an update in this regard?  

Lets get this straight: P3D+Orbx TrueEarth is better than vanilla MSFS. For instance POIs, watermasked mudflats, sandbanks (e.g. around Anacortes) and jetties, are either worse or missing in MSFS. BUT for the price of 4 or 5 Orbx Regions, we get the whole world! Add in the fact that it's taken a decade of development to go from vanilla FSX to P3D+TrueEarth, then just imagine what MSFS+Orbx will be like in ten years time. That's a ride I want to be on! :D

4 hours ago, wolfko said:

Not on my System. I just compared screenshots I had made before the patch with how the same areas Looks now - absolutely no difference.

Could be that there are differences for users which used “Ultra” settings before. Again on my “High” to “Medium” settings Nothing has changed. And to call MSFS an FSX-plus is just plain ridiculous.  :lol:

@Orbx Flyer are you really that disappointed? Maybe your expectations only have been too high? Before the release you have been the most exited user here on the forums. I guess that’s what I am now. I love this sim! :D

@stiletto2 The vast majority of simmers is happy with the patch and the performance upgrade and how “bad” the sim is now allegedly looking. So why  should there be an update in this regard?  

Wolfko...the ONE THING, I will not do...is rain on your parade!  Enjoy...and until the first patch beyond RTM...I was GOBSMACKED.  On an older system, I had my settings at 80 percent ULtra in graphic selections....and the world below the wing was astounding.  Post second patch...major loss of visuals.  Trees, bushes, buildings at distant.  Yes...I call it at now, FSX-Plus...FSX, plus other perks.  But..not RTM MSFS.  Nope...not post second patch.  I can only hope that they in following patches...restore RTM, or as close as they will allow it.  I also feel VERY STRONGLY...hence capitol letters...that they should allow users to update to a following patch...OR...leave their installation on whatever RTM, or patch THEY want...not have the sim no longer run, UNTIL you update.   Ok...no more 'rain'...enjoy your experience! :)  I typed what I felt I wanted to communicate...and don't need to beat my view to death.   Again, enjoy my friend!

5 hours ago, wolfko said:

Since I fly out of OG20 all the time, the change was a bit of a shock.  I thought at first something was wrong with my settings and the later that maybe it was a mistake.  If reduction of vegetation density was part of the plan to "optimize" performance, then I believe Microsoft should have mentioned that in their release notes.  But that is just my opinion.  Of course, I will continue to fly in MSFS 2020 and am sure I will quickly get used to the new OG20 look.  

Rod

Archived