Valdez

VH-KDK

1 minute ago, olderndirt said:

One of Alaska's great beauty spots - right over the tail, the Richardson Highway and the oil line from Prudhoe Bay diverge to their terminuses (ae?).

Cheers OND, the last part of my cruise was up College Fjord on the other side of Prince William Sound and the weather was the opposite to this. 

I had RTMM's BWEP installed a few years ago and it was interesting following the pipeline as far as the project was then done which wasn't that far.

I see it is now complete so I will have to try and find the time to install all of it and do some more following!;)

5 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Cheers OND, the last part of my cruise was up College Fjord on the other side of Prince William Sound and the weather was the opposite to this. 

I had RTMM's BWEP installed a few years ago and it was interesting following the pipeline as far as the project was then done which wasn't that far.

I see it is now complete so I will have to try and find the time to install all of it and do some more following!;)

I had all of it in FSX and found most of it quite accurate but the route through the Brooks Range seemed the most photogenic.  I could tell a funny story about the pipeline - about my first encounter after being away in West (by God) Virginia for a couple of years.

3 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

I had all of it in FSX and found most of it quite accurate but the route through the Brooks Range seemed the most photogenic.  I could tell a funny story about the pipeline - about my first encounter after being away in West (by God) Virginia for a couple of years.

More learning about something I hadn't heard of before!:lol:

Now, awaiting your story. I, for one, enjoy hearing of peoples experiences from the past.:)

35 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

More learning about something I hadn't heard of before!:lol:

Now, awaiting your story. I, for one, enjoy hearing of peoples experiences from the past.:)

Bought a C120 from a guy in South Bend IN.  Paperwork showed that not much was still C120 but the wings (no flaps) - still a good bird.  Transferring back to PANC from KCRW, sold the plane to a Canadian for pickup at Thunder Bay.  My guy brought it back, no sale - registration plate was missing (probably still on the 120 fuselage).  Already in Alaska so jump seated NWA to KORD and Piedmont to KHTS where the plane was parked.  Fresh annual then off to Alaska - 4100 miles in 41/2 days but a slight diversion.  Between Northway and Gulkana heard the voice of an old buddy (best man at my wedding) and got to chatting on a discrete frequency.  Engrossed in conversation, I saw the pipeline coming up and, having been gone during its construction was very interested.  Somehow something magnetic (excuse) caused me to follow the line on its way through Thompson Pass.  Before long I realized I'd made a boo-boo but, since all was tickedy-boo, just kept going - sure enough, right where the map showed, Valdez appeared and I landed.  I'd have gotten away with it except a former coworker (Ken Peaveyhouse RIP) was tower chief and he came out to see this guy who was flight planned from Burwash Landing to Merrill.  After a lot of laughter and a damn good lunch, all gassed up and ready to roll, he advised on tower frequency "fly runway heading and land at the first paved runway you see" - accurate advice and some wonderful scenery.

1 hour ago, olderndirt said:

Bought a C120 from a guy in South Bend IN.  Paperwork showed that not much was still C120 but the wings (no flaps) - still a good bird.  Transferring back to PANC from KCRW, sold the plane to a Canadian for pickup at Thunder Bay.  My guy brought it back, no sale - registration plate was missing (probably still on the 120 fuselage).  Already in Alaska so jump seated NWA to KORD and Piedmont to KHTS where the plane was parked.  Fresh annual then off to Alaska - 4100 miles in 41/2 days but a slight diversion.  Between Northway and Gulkana heard the voice of an old buddy (best man at my wedding) and got to chatting on a discrete frequency.  Engrossed in conversation, I saw the pipeline coming up and, having been gone during its construction was very interested.  Somehow something magnetic (excuse) caused me to follow the line on its way through Thompson Pass.  Before long I realized I'd made a boo-boo but, since all was tickedy-boo, just kept going - sure enough, right where the map showed, Valdez appeared and I landed.  I'd have gotten away with it except a former coworker (Ken Peaveyhouse RIP) was tower chief and he came out to see this guy who was flight planned from Burwash Landing to Merrill.  After a lot of laughter and a damn good lunch, all gassed up and ready to roll, he advised on tower frequency "fly runway heading and land at the first paved runway you see" - accurate advice and some wonderful scenery.

A wonderful story, many thanks for sharing.

That pipeline sure did some strange things to your compass that day!:lol:

On 6/10/2020 at 4:48 PM, Stillwater said:

Great area, plane, airline, screenie - and weather, Marytn!

Not ot mention the interesting learnings in the comments here.

Thanks Gerold. There are so many great stories told on the screenie forum, always interesting to hear.

On 6/12/2020 at 1:51 AM, flyingleaf said:

Great shot indeed Martyn. Great story from OND. Thanks guys.:)

Thanks Karl.

Always interesting to read the many different things that are posted on here.:)

Archived