More NZ Airports?

Timmoakl37

Hi guys

I was just wondering if you are thinking of doing some more detailed stand-alone renditions of the bigger NZ airports like Wellington, Christchurch, Auckland or Dunedin, seeing as you did such a great job with the likes of Milford Sound, Whangarei, Gisborne and Queenstown?

Orbx tend to not do airports that are already available from other developpers. Xchurch, dunedin and nelson are available from godzone and flightbeam has wellington. Auckland is also to be released by flightbeam ;)

...and in this case, it's not exactly sceneries that urgently need visual upgrades in any way.

But I've missed a greater density of (smaller) NZ airports all the time since FTX NZ has been released. Apart from Milford Sound and Queenstown, NZ has been nearly without good airports for years, and the sceneries mentioned above came very late relative to the development of the region - which was why I hardly flew there to discover all the beautiful and fascinating landscape.

Yes, the default airports have been upgraded, but it's by far not the same as a good pw airport. I wish there were more places like NZMF and NZQN nearby. Whangerei and Gisborne also came in relatively late and are unfortunately very far away from anything else availible there.

18 hours ago, DeeJay said:

...and in this case, it's not exactly sceneries that urgently need visual upgrades in any way.

But I've missed a greater density of (smaller) NZ airports all the time since FTX NZ has been released. Apart from Milford Sound and Queenstown, NZ has been nearly without good airports for years, and the sceneries mentioned above came very late relative to the development of the region - which was why I hardly flew there to discover all the beautiful and fascinating landscape.

Yes, the default airports have been upgraded, but it's by far not the same as a good pw airport. I wish there were more places like NZMF and NZQN nearby. Whangerei and Gisborne also came in relatively late and are unfortunately very far away from anything else availible there.

This is mostly due to people like you are a minority (living outside of oceania and  willing to fly there). Most want to fly where they are from, and payware developpers will likely prioritise the bigger markets(which is a normal thing to do) And for kiwis, they are far down the line unfortunately. Orbx wouldn't have been started as an aussie company I doubt there would have been that many oz airports....

I dont own them so I cant comment on the quality, but maybe you should get dunedin et xchurch to get you more quality airports to fly to in the mainland.... Or get some bush plane with skys and just enjoy the southern alps :)

32 minutes ago, merlinux said:

and payware developpers will likely prioritise the bigger markets(which is a normal thing to do)

While true these days, Orbx started with small airfields, even grass strips, which made them who they are now and I would like to see that they pick up development of those again. 

41 minutes ago, merlinux said:

This is mostly due to people like you are a minority (living outside of oceania and  willing to fly there). Most want to fly where they are from, and payware developpers will likely prioritise the bigger markets(which is a normal thing to do)

I am from a totally other side of that medal, Merlin: I fly on this planet whereever I have ever been, currently travel to or intend to travel some day. Which makes me learn a lot about the world - and of Orbx products... :D!

8 minutes ago, bvdboomen said:

While true these days, Orbx started with small airfields, even grass strips, which made them who they are now and I would like to see that they pick up development of those again. 

I agree... though the big airfields from Orbx are fantastic as well.

On 5/24/2020 at 5:20 AM, merlinux said:

Orbx tend to not do airports that are already available from other developpers. Xchurch, dunedin and nelson are available from godzone and flightbeam has wellington. Auckland is also to be released by flightbeam ;)

Unless they are in the UK.

And definately +1 for some more NZ.  Were they not working on NZNV?  That should still happen... 

3 hours ago, Ripcord said:

And definately +1 for some more NZ.  Were they not working on NZNV?  That should still happen... 

Thanks for the info. I hardly fly in Europe appart from the French altiports from LLH so I didn't know they ever remade airports from other developers  :)

6 hours ago, Stillwater said:

I am from a totally other side of that medal, Merlin: I fly on this planet whereever I have ever been, currently travel to or intend to travel some day. Which makes me learn a lot about the world - and of Orbx products... :D!

Ahah I know Stillwater you would :) me as well;) but you are not the typical guy who is just starting siming... When I started my first buy was the au regions and ypec... Then ybcs...

True that nowadays I mostly fly in Alaska with misty moorings lol despite never having set foot in America... But that is after buying every single aussie airports near me and playing extensively with ozx :)

I do most of my flying in Australia and thanks to OZx I have many great airfields to fly to but resigned to seeing Orbx producing airports like Adelaide, Perth and Hobart/Cambridge. This is for financial reasons which I understand with a heavy heart.

One airport I would love to see is YTEM Temora. Temora is the home of Temora Aviation Museum where almos all of their planes are airworthy with planes like the Lockheed Hudson, Gloster Meteor and the Canberra the only aircraft flying anywhere in the world.

Hi guys, I used to fly with the Misty Moorings and OZX airports in FSX many years ago. Can I ask you guys a question? Are these airports still available and compatible with P3Dv5? I ask because I enjoyed the smaller strips, flying bush and GA planes. I don’t fly liners at all.

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2020 at 11:20 AM, merlinux said:

Orbx tend to not do airports that are already available from other developpers.

Yeah, like Bristol, London City, Leeds-Bradford, East Midlands, Edinburgh . . . and that's just the UK . . . 

10 minutes ago, SGunard said:

Yeah, like Bristol, London City, Leeds-Bradford, East Midlands, Edinburgh . . . and that's just the UK . . . 

I don't fly in europe so I didnt know about those UK airports. I found that to be the case for their west coast american region and australia/new zealand

On 5/25/2020 at 6:20 PM, Ripcord said:

59 minutes ago, SGunard said:

Yet Orbx's versions of these (Bristol aside) are vast improvements over what was available before and tie-in brilliantly with the TE GB set of products.
Re-doing airports that are already of acceptable quality is not necessarily a wise business decision as the market is a lot more limited.
Anyway, the original quote was "tend not to do airports that are already available from other developpers" [sic], rather than 'do not'.

I too would like to see NZNV, but then how does that fit with Orbx's upcoming releases?

6 hours ago, F737NG said:

I too would like to see NZNV, but then how does that fit with Orbx's upcoming releases?

It was shown in the year-end road map.  We may see it in the second half of 2020 (hopefully), unless we are wiped out by some other biblical plague.  God save Tim Harris.

4 hours ago, Ripcord said:

It was shown in the year-end road map.  We may see it in the second half of 2020 (hopefully), unless we are wiped out by some other biblical plague.  God save Tim Harris.

Oh, I see. I absolutely can't wait. 

I never thought I would see it portrayed by Orbx in flightsim, much like I never thought I would see jet services return. It's a good choice, though. LINZ have excellent aerial photography of the area. 

What I really would like to see is the Lake Tekapo Airport! The NZ scenery is so great and with better Lake Tekapo airport (and more realistic color of the lake itself) it would be even better!

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

Archived