Why not an ORBX Flight Simulator?

Hi all. 

IN my never-ending quest to support all things ORBX, I have come up with a great idea. Why doesn't ORBX come out with its own flight simulator? With Microsoft re-entering the market, and Lockheed Martin going full-house, and X-Plane gaining market share, and Aerofly hanging in there, why not add another sim, this one based on flight sim's premier scenery producer? We'll eliminate the middle men and live entirely in ORBX world, no more hassles. If JV wants to compensate me for the idea, I take checks. :)

7 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hi all. 

IN my never-ending quest to support all things ORBX, I have come up with a great idea. Why doesn't ORBX come out with its own flight simulator? With Microsoft re-entering the market, and Lockheed Martin going full-house, and X-Plane gaining market share, and Aerofly hanging in there, why not add another sim, this one based on flight sim's premier scenery producer? We'll eliminate the middle men and live entirely in ORBX world, no more hassles. If JV wants to compensate me for the idea, I take checks. :)

I'm in!  Big time.

No problem Gentlemen,

it will be ready on Tuesday.

A man went into a cobblers and left a pair of shoes for repair.

Things changed and he went abroad to work for 20 years.

When he finally came home, he remembered his shoes and went to collect them.

He went up to the counter and asked the cobbler about the pair of shoes that he

had left there 20 years before.

"Were they brown leather brogues?"

"Yes"

"You left them for soling and heeling?"

Amazed that the cobbler remembered, he replied "Yes I did"

"One minute please" replied the cobbler.

A few moments later, he came back.

"They'll be ready on Tuesday."

8 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

No problem Gentlemen,

it will be ready on Tuesday.

No way Nick. Either I get it tonight or I'm going back to FS95.....................

think you can better intergrated it the other way around. 

Bring ORBX as default texture in simulators as  XPLANE 11 , P3D , because now everybody buys a simulator , strips it down 

and put ORBX texture in.

What can bring a lot of issue, when not carried out properly,

as you can read on many hundreds of topics in these forums.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great idea, but one if commenced now by Orbx would leave them far behind in market terms.  Also LM have more than enough resources to work out how to stream real-time scenery, though their deal with MS may block that.

However Nick has said elsewhere that we should confine ourselves to the discussion of Orbx product.  However I would wager the people within ORBX have not stopped debating how to avoid losing their market dominance.  Can they build for MS2020, will they only produce airports and cityscapes...but I would have thought that Global and the hierarchy of regional scale add-ons was their big winner.  I am a huge supporter of Orbx as I am sure that you know, I would love to see them flourish in this new context.

The thing is Nick this is on the lips of all involved in flight simulation, and will be for the next six months or so, until it is available in full to appraise.  None of us can escape, except those still on Win7 and FSX.

Hello Ian,

this is a heroic effort to divert an amusing but tongue in cheek topic onto the subject of your choice.

However, as you are clearly aware, these forums are not the place to dissect the miniscule number

of facts contained in the avalanche of uninformed comment and speculation surrounding the potential

release of another flight simulator.

Even less are they a place for customers to share internal company policy and decisions.

If you cannot resist the urge to follow and comment on every step, twist and turn, then the Avsim forums

are the place for you to follow the bespoke forum that has been set up.

And as an active participant so far at Avsim new sim forum, bringing my own uninformed comments and speculations to dissect the miniscule number of facts, I'd say it is a lot of fun for an old timer like me who has seen them all B) !  

HI Nick, you are correct, and unsurprisingly I am fully involved in the AVSIM discussions.  But I guess we are still absolutely intriqued by the underlying question:  what part will Orbx play in the new sim if it takes over the market??  Remember that the background scenery in LM is very poor and if the new sim provides an acceptable base from streamed photoscenery then all of the Orbx regional products...brilliant as they are...will be superfluous.

Remember too, we are not all placid and unable to think ahead.  If in some of the releases to come from MS I form the view that the new sim will meet my needs, then I will stop buying from Orbx unless I am assured of forward compatibility.

We have come to love your Scottish/York terseness and the occasional appearances of JV .... but remember our commitment to Orbx goes far beyond our apparently quiescent role as customers.

7 minutes ago, macca22au said:

Ian

All the important developers are already engaged or will be soon engaged in discussions with MS. It is certainly not the time for them to discuss their plans in an open forum or let user discussions on the said forums spiral out of control as they are obviously bound to . Common sense. 

Dom:  I have made the point in an amendment, that I and others will make up our minds about the new sim, and if I consider it MY future then I will stop buying scenery unless assured of forward compatibiliy.  Orbx and others could have a pretty significant drop in sales during the quietus, until they can give us positive information on the future.

31 minutes ago, macca22au said:

My take is nobody knows at that time, including the developers like OrbX, how the market will be shaped in a year (v5,  FS20). How could John V give you any "positive information" about "forward compatibility" ? He can't.

And remember,  we are both of us old enough to know that, when you face challenging times, it is always a little irritating to be repeatedly asked questions that you don't know the answer to. Let us leave them in peace and come to Avsim. Today we are commenting  yesterday pics/vids release :)

I would love to make our own flight simulator. Sadly raising the US$30m required to do so is something we're too small for right now. 

We are going about our business as usual, albeit with a busier schedule than usual following our recent staff expansion. We have 127 products planned for release between now and June 2020, across multiple platforms. 

As the originator of this thread, I feel responsible for opening the door into MSFS 2020 speculation/controversy. Didn't mean to do that. I do have to admit that the comments have been interesting, even if no one knows much at this point. As for me, JV is my guy and ORBX is my girl.

I'm quite happy with my simulator but would be happier to see scenery being finished.  The USA is a good example, so is Europe.  I realise they are huge projects but with those two complete, think of the benefits for us Europeans who will never actually see America and similarly vice versa. 

For example, it wasn't until I recently flew from Chicago to the west coast (all in photographic scenery because Orbx hasn't expanded that far yet) that I realised the sheer amount of what I was expecting to see as prarie has been turned into cultivated farmland.  No wonder that the US can not only be self supporting in food but also export loads of it for people to eat elsewhere.

Incidentally, I would have expected to see more American scenery available.  What's holding it up?

3 hours ago, JohnY said:

For example, it wasn't until I recently flew from Chicago to the west coast (all in photographic scenery because Orbx hasn't expanded that far yet) that I realised the sheer amount of what I was expecting to see as prarie has been turned into cultivated farmland.  

OrbX does cover the Midwest ! Have you flown there with Global, OpenLC NA and Vector ? It is cultivated land and not the prairie of the Old West :).

On 8/30/2019 at 4:57 AM, macca22au said:

HI Nick, you are correct, and unsurprisingly I am fully involved in the AVSIM discussions.  But I guess we are still absolutely intriqued by the underlying question:  what part will Orbx play in the new sim if it takes over the market??  Remember that the background scenery in LM is very poor and if the new sim provides an acceptable base from streamed photoscenery then all of the Orbx regional products...brilliant as they are...will be superfluous.

Remember too, we are not all placid and unable to think ahead.  If in some of the releases to come from MS I form the view that the new sim will meet my needs, then I will stop buying from Orbx unless I am assured of forward compatibility.

We have come to love your Scottish/York terseness and the occasional appearances of JV .... but remember our commitment to Orbx goes far beyond our apparently quiescent role as customers.

I fear this too

And wonder so much about the potential of the new Sim

Where will all end?

Just an opinion, I know we first need the sim to be on air to then see what it brings but if looking as per in the preview, I found it very threatening and daring

1 hour ago, carlosqr said:

I fear this too

Where will all end?

Just an opinion, I know we first need the sim to be on air to then see what it brings but if looking as per in the preview, I found it very threatening and daring

What is threatening Carlos ? If MS delivers we will have the best sim ever. It MS doesn't deliver, the fallback will be two excellent sims (P3D or XP11, your fancy). I don't see any threat. La vie est belle !

Hi Dominique

By threatening I meant that the sim looked perfect, seemed to need no add-ons, it had it all....so where was Orbx there? Threatening to Orbx as it was left out.. so much money spent.

But it is better to wait for its released. In the past the sim needed tons of add-ons and ended with vast limitations

Let's wait and see what they come up with

Cheers

Carlos

3 hours ago, carlosqr said:

I fear this too

Where will all end?

Well, just to keep everything in perspective......

The Sun will run out of Hydrogen in about 5 billion years or so.

At that time it will become a red giant star,  burn Earth to a cinder and render all of us plus our flight sims extinct.

We all hope ORBX Africa will be done with beta by then.

13 minutes ago, lawrence aldrich said:

Well, just to keep everything in perspective......

The Sun will run out of Hydrogen in about 5 billion years or so.

At that time it will become a red giant star,  burn Earth to a cinder and render all of us plus our flight sims extinct.

We all hope ORBX Africa will be done with beta by then.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Archived