Some Alaska flying

Jack Sawyer

@Stillwater Hi Gerold, here's a flight I made this morning in real time with real weather.  It was PAVD to PAYA in a PMDG 737 NGX 700.  I followed all relevant SID's & STAR's.

3LiPoGx.jpg

1zZF9Ou.jpg

zuCrxq7.jpg

b1DKf34.jpg

IKTap7N.jpg

The Fjord1 departure.

VOc9tf8.jpg

Was like this the entire flight.

00IWBio.jpg

tKBcLMb.jpg

ZxlbgAU.jpg

ipxbu6t.jpg

3FnUeJ0.jpg

Hand landing the ILS runway 11.

FuyMfXS.jpg

zbPIKa5.jpg

ka0lHC3.jpg

Ibtczk5.jpg

jOj6Kv8.jpg

17 minutes ago, BradB said:

Fab shots Capt. Jack , I wish I was up there in AK . Hot, dry and windy here today , not good for our firefighter's . :):(:o:angry:

Cheers

John

Thanks John.  It’s been very cool here lately, I’m not complaining and low humidity, it’s cooler than normal and it’s awesome.  Yeah, those fires are pretty darned scary!

1 hour ago, renault said:

Just when I think, he can't possibly do better , you then show us this!

Wow!!!

Cheers Jack 

Pete

Thanks R!  There's nothing more satisfying that flying one of these like they do in real life with all the proper procedures.

When I lived at Yakutat, a star was still a night time event in the sky.  Center cleared them for an approach (anything published) and they'd give us (FSS) a call for any late new info.  "Procedure turn, inbound" was the next call to make sure the runway was clear and we repeated altimeter, any known traffic and a wind check.  Of course, if the weather was less than VFR, he was the only one in the control zone.

Just now, olderndirt said:

When I lived at Yakutat, a star was still a night time event in the sky.  Center cleared them for an approach (anything published) and they'd give us (FSS) a call for any late new info.  "Procedure turn, inbound" was the next call to make sure the runway was clear and we repeated altimeter, any known traffic and a wind check.  Of course, if the weather was less than VFR, he was the only one in the control zone.

That's some cool stuff OND!  Now PAYA has actual published approaches.  I used the YAK3 STAR.

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That's some cool stuff OND!  Now PAYA has actual published approaches.  I used the YAK3 STAR.

A 'Standard Terminal Arrival Route' allows the inbound to transition from enroute to the approach without the necessity of flying over the fix and descending outbound then inbound after a procedure turn.  Of course radar monitoring would be nice but don't know what Center's coverage from the Middleton Island radar is.  When I was at YAK the Low Frequency Range was still very popular.

5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

A wonderful set if views Jack.

Beautiful weather once you were on top.:)

Thanks Martyn, before I made this flight I checked the weather on my phone app.  It was correct too.  I love reaching cruise like this and end up on top of the clouds and still see the mountains.

29 minutes ago, Wakashi said:

Mighty fine flight in the Alaska wilds Jack, looks like you have tamed that 737 to do what it’s told, good job! :)

Thanks Roger, programming the FMC to do holds, and other things, when successful, is very gratifying.  I have several real-world 737/747/757/767/747 pilot handbooks I bought through the years.

Archived